Flo’s 1st 2022-23 Rankings

MattM

Im sure they are still speculating on where some will end up weight wise but for now:

126 - #17 L. Frazier

182 - #12 D. Veazy

220 - #1 C. Carroll (and #1 P4P)

Not a big list for Indiana, but with the more relaxed travel rules we do have more opportunity for a few guys to move into and up in the rankings in season.  That’s something that very rarely happened before. 

Edited by MattM

• MattM changed the title to Flo’s 1st 2022-23 Rankings
6 minutes ago, Thor said:

We had a pretty rough summer for our fringe guys. Not many big wins to get kids in. Also, it’s hilarious how trash Flo’s rankings are. They just took out last years seniors after most had already moved in to college

Matscouts has better knowledge 

7 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

So do you believe Carrol is #1 pound for pound in the nation? Dude looks pretty tough to me.

He makes a great argument for it. Ben Kueter is 2nd pound for pound and at 220 and I think Carroll has the recent head to head. And that guy just won gold at U20s while Carroll does Greco today. 

5 hours ago, Mattyb said:

shocked that Gunnner Henry is not up there. My guy has had an awesome off season.  With the burgs schedule, he will have the opportunity to show what he is. Hes gonna be up there for sure.

That one has always jumped out as a miss to me. You’ll be high on Veazy, but mention nothing of Gunner beating him. 

Some of our IN kids will have a chance to make a statement at the Mater Dei Holiday Classic when Flo's #2 at 106 and #16 at 120 show up. Could be a good opportunity for someone if they can notch a huge victory over one of the Raney's (KY).

Edited by SIwrestling

1 hour ago, SIwrestling said:

Some of our IN kids will have a chance to make a statement at the Mater Dei Holiday Classic when Flo's #2 at 106 and #16 at 120 show up. Could be a good opportunity for someone if they can notch a huge victory over one of the Raney's (KY).

After watching the raney boys dominate the classic last year, I don't see them losing or even being threatened.

6 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

After watching the raney boys dominate the classic last year, I don't see them losing or even being threatened.

Agreed they are definitely an uphill battle for anyone.  

126 KYREL LEAVELL (CENTRAL INDIANA ACADEMY OF WRESTLING) over JORDYN RANEY (UNION COUNTY) Dec 19-19
1 3.0

This took place at the MCWC Freestyle Tourney. It was a Barn burner!  Bigtoe19

JORDYN RANEY
UNION COUNTY
KYREL LEAVELL
CENTRAL INDIANA ACADEMY OF WRESTLING

O
Period 1
  +2 (2:32)
+1 (2:14)  
  +2 (2:12)
  +4 (1:40)
  -4 (1:37)
+4 (1:35)  
+2 (1:30)  
  +1 (1:30)
  -1 (1:30)
  +2 (1:02)
  +1 (0:32)
  +2 (0:07)
12 9
Period 2
  +4 (2:44)
+1 (2:16)  
  +2 (1:47)
  Caution (1:37)
+1 (1:37)  
+1 (1:23)  
+2 (0:59)  
+1 (0:41)  
+1 (0:15)  
  +2 (0:06)
7 10

The Scoring on Track, I would have messed up!!

16 hours ago, Bigtoe19 said:
126 KYREL LEAVELL (CENTRAL INDIANA ACADEMY OF WRESTLING) over JORDYN RANEY (UNION COUNTY) Dec 19-19
1 3.0

This took place at the MCWC Freestyle Tourney. It was a Barn burner!  Bigtoe19

JORDYN RANEY
UNION COUNTY
KYREL LEAVELL
CENTRAL INDIANA ACADEMY OF WRESTLING

O
Period 1
  +2 (2:32)
+1 (2:14)  
  +2 (2:12)
  +4 (1:40)
  -4 (1:37)
+4 (1:35)  
  -1 (1:30)
  +2 (1:02)
  +1 (0:32)
  +2 (0:07)
12 9
Period 2
  +4 (2:44)
+1 (2:16)  
  +2 (1:47)
  Caution (1:37)
+1 (1:37)  
+1 (1:23)  
+2 (0:59)  
+1 (0:41)  
+1 (0:15)  
7 10

The Scoring on Track, I would have messed up!!

What a match. Is there video of this anywhere? Love seeing high octane matches like those. Darn good win for Leavell as well. 

41 minutes ago, SIwrestling said:

What a match. Is there video of this anywhere? Love seeing high octane matches like those. Darn good win for Leavell as well. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/7708230-mcwc-freestyle-academy-duals/videos?playing=7726189&limit=60

Joey Beat the #20 kid @132 Billy Greenwood 10-2  in FLO's opening rankings for the year ---- that was at the US OPEN in April.

Beat several state champs there and  went 7-2. Looking forward to IHPO and Super32.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/7738687-60-lbs-consi-of-16-1-billy-greenwood-grit-athletics-wrestling-club-vs-joey-buttler-whiteland-wrestling-club Loss in state to #17. Probably made an error when he filled in at 138 for the junior Cadet duals instead of staying at 132.

What are those rankings based on? I know Greenwood went on to place 3rd at Fargo in cadet division this summer. Maybe the most recent matches?

2 hours ago, buttler73 said:

Joey Beat the #20 kid @132 Billy Greenwood 10-2  in FLO's opening rankings for the year ---- that was at the US OPEN in April.

Beat several state champs there and  went 7-2. Looking forward to IHPO and Super32.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/7738687-60-lbs-consi-of-16-1-billy-greenwood-grit-athletics-wrestling-club-vs-joey-buttler-whiteland-wrestling-club Loss in state to #17. Probably made an error when he filled in at 138 for the junior Cadet duals instead of staying at 132.

What are those rankings based on? I know Greenwood went on to place 3rd at Fargo in cadet division this summer. Maybe the most recent matches?

Keep grinding Butlers! Knock off one or two more of dem ranked guys in these last couple months before season and he could be ranked. What’s his plan after IHPO? I assume Super 32. Maybe hit fall grappler classic to find a ranked win or two? Would love to see the boy ranked. 

Thought it'd be fun to look through our Indiana guys and see who could possibly be ranked or who is right on the cusp of being ranked. I personally believe that there are more than three top 20 guys in Indiana, and want to dive in and see who could make that case:

106: Revin Dickman- 2 time Fargo All-American, and he's looking to win a state title during his first run this year at 106, and by many he's going to be considered the favorite. Dickman will have a chance to get his hands on a nationally ranked opponent next weekend at IHPO, and it will be a great test to see how he stacks up against the rest of the country (but more on that later).

113: Jake Hockaday- a former #11 in the country at 106, and #12 at 113 (if my memory is correct), but a rough Fargo run saw his name get removed from the current rankings. However, we all know that Hockaday has that potential, and with the new travel rules for this upcoming season, Hockaday will have many chances to prove himself once again.

120: Ashton Jackson- a 2 time state champ, Jackson has had two nationally ranked wins this season, but a pair of unranked losses this off season, including one to 2022 3rd placer Braxton Vest, and a rough Fargo run keeps him out for now. Jackson will have the chance to catapult into the rankings this preseason at Super 32.

126: Kyrel Leavell- last year's state champ at 120, he has gotten many impressive wins this off season, including one over #16 at 120 Jordyn Raney, but has been dealing with an injury as of late (from what I understand), but clearly has the potential to take out ranked opponents, and will hopefully come back from his injury strong.

132: Joey Buttler- last year's state runner up at 126, he's yet to take a title of his own, but has beaten some solid competition since then, owning wins over Kyrel Leavell and #20 Billy Greenwood. While both of these wrestler's have a little better of a resume currently, Buttler will continue to test himself against great competition, starting with IHPO next weekend.

138/145: Aidan Torres- not exactly sure what weight Torres is going next year, but I've heard both of these weights so we will see. Torres is a guy that I think is highly underrated, but just hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet. On the opposite end of an unfortunate upset was Torres last year, but I think that he is a favorite in any weight class he goes, and will further establish his dominance this season, and hopefully show out to some major preseason tournaments to establish his name on the national level.

160: Sam Goin- last year's 152 state champ, had a very dominant season last year with very few close matches, along with a solid Fargo showing that saw him make the bloodround, after losing a very competitive match 9-5 to #4 Braeden Scoles. With Crown Point wrestling at the Iron Man this year, I can't wait to see guys like Goin and other CP studs shock the nation.

160/170: Cody Goodwin- last year's 4th placer, took J Conway into overtime in the semis, where Conway would go onto win it and later place this year at Fargo and put himself into the national rankings for the first time. Goodwin has plenty of high quality wins, including one over Ohio State commit Gavin Brown a year or two back, in addition to several wins over Indiana studs, but a limited off season schedule due to football keeps him from seeing a national ranking, although the new travel rules may benefit him greatly this year in terms of getting his hands on high level competition.

182: Orlando Cruz- last year's runner up at 182, Cruz has the potential to be in the rankings this year, clearly indicated by his performance at state, which included Drake Buchanan (who should've been top 20 in my opinion), Gunner Henry (who I will be talking about later), and De'Alcapon Veazy (who currently sits at #12 in the country). Should both Veazy and Cruz stay at 182, we are in for an electric Saturday night bout at Gainbridge this season. Veazy currently has the most recent win with a 10-0 tech fall at Freestyle State, but I expect the result to be a lot closer in a folkstyle bout.

195: Gunner Henry- last year's 3rd placer at 182, one of many studs in an absolutely loaded 182 bracket last year. He lost to Cruz 9-6 in the semis, but it should be noted that Henry went on to defeat fellow freshman stud Veazy in a 3-2 bout to take 3rd. Henry has had a lot of impressive wins this off season, including a dominant 14-5 victory over Veazy during the freestyle season. While he has not gotten that win yet to put him in the rankings, I think it is only a matter of time before he does so.

HWT: Leighton Jones- last year's 3rd placer at HWT, a stud from Brownsburg that is no stranger to the national rankings, but was on the wrong side of a stunning upset loss to Westfield's Platonov. Certainly, Jones will find himself back in the rankings soon and look for his first state title this year.

18 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Thought it'd be fun to look through our Indiana guys and see who could possibly be ranked or who is right on the cusp of being ranked. I personally believe that there are more than three top 20 guys in Indiana, and want to dive in and see who could make that case:

106: Revin Dickman- 2 time Fargo All-American, and he's looking to win a state title during his first run this year at 106, and by many he's going to be considered the favorite. Dickman will have a chance to get his hands on a nationally ranked opponent next weekend at IHPO, and it will be a great test to see how he stacks up against the rest of the country (but more on that later).

113: Jake Hockaday- a former #11 in the country at 106, and #12 at 113 (if my memory is correct), but a rough Fargo run saw his name get removed from the current rankings. However, we all know that Hockaday has that potential, and with the new travel rules for this upcoming season, Hockaday will have many chances to prove himself once again.

120: Ashton Jackson- a 2 time state champ, Jackson has had two nationally ranked wins this season, but a pair of unranked losses this off season, including one to 2022 3rd placer Braxton Vest, and a rough Fargo run keeps him out for now. Jackson will have the chance to catapult into the rankings this preseason at Super 32.

126: Kyrel Leavell- last year's state champ at 120, he has gotten many impressive wins this off season, including one over #16 at 120 Jordyn Raney, but has been dealing with an injury as of late (from what I understand), but clearly has the potential to take out ranked opponents, and will hopefully come back from his injury strong.

132: Joey Buttler- last year's state runner up at 126, he's yet to take a title of his own, but has beaten some solid competition since then, owning wins over Kyrel Leavell and #20 Billy Greenwood. While both of these wrestler's have a little better of a resume currently, Buttler will continue to test himself against great competition, starting with IHPO next weekend.

138/145: Aidan Torres- not exactly sure what weight Torres is going next year, but I've heard both of these weights so we will see. Torres is a guy that I think is highly underrated, but just hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet. On the opposite end of an unfortunate upset was Torres last year, but I think that he is a favorite in any weight class he goes, and will further establish his dominance this season, and hopefully show out to some major preseason tournaments to establish his name on the national level.

160: Sam Goin- last year's 152 state champ, had a very dominant season last year with very few close matches, along with a solid Fargo showing that saw him make the bloodround, after losing a very competitive match 9-5 to #4 Braeden Scoles. With Crown Point wrestling at the Iron Man this year, I can't wait to see guys like Goin and other CP studs shock the nation.

160/170: Cody Goodwin- last year's 4th placer, took J Conway into overtime in the semis, where Conway would go onto win it and later place this year at Fargo and put himself into the national rankings for the first time. Goodwin has plenty of high quality wins, including one over Ohio State commit Gavin Brown a year or two back, in addition to several wins over Indiana studs, but a limited off season schedule due to football keeps him from seeing a national ranking, although the new travel rules may benefit him greatly this year in terms of getting his hands on high level competition.

182: Orlando Cruz- last year's runner up at 182, Cruz has the potential to be in the rankings this year, clearly indicated by his performance at state, which included Drake Buchanan (who should've been top 20 in my opinion), Gunner Henry (who I will be talking about later), and De'Alcapon Veazy (who currently sits at #12 in the country). Should both Veazy and Cruz stay at 182, we are in for an electric Saturday night bout at Gainbridge this season. Veazy currently has the most recent win with a 10-0 tech fall at Freestyle State, but I expect the result to be a lot closer in a folkstyle bout.

195: Gunner Henry- last year's 3rd placer at 182, one of many studs in an absolutely loaded 182 bracket last year. He lost to Cruz 9-6 in the semis, but it should be noted that Henry went on to defeat fellow freshman stud Veazy in a 3-2 bout to take 3rd. Henry has had a lot of impressive wins this off season, including a dominant 14-5 victory over Veazy during the freestyle season. While he has not gotten that win yet to put him in the rankings, I think it is only a matter of time before he does so.

HWT: Leighton Jones- last year's 3rd placer at HWT, a stud from Brownsburg that is no stranger to the national rankings, but was on the wrong side of a stunning upset loss to Westfield's Platonov. Certainly, Jones will find himself back in the rankings soon and look for his first state title this year.

I don’t think Torres is a 138 . Maybe 145/152.