Purdue’22-23

While I’m not as informed on the Boilermakers as some of you on this site, I get the feeling this year is a break out season for The squad. It is was good showing at last year’s Nationals for qualifying.I’m thinking it will get better next year. The coaches have done a really good job.  Hopefully they break through and land an elite Indiana guy. It only takes one to get the ball rolling. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 3:58 PM, bwoodjc89 said:

Any particular reason for Nijenhuis transfer? I was surprised to see that.

Heard it was an academic casualty. Didn’t care much for the scholar part of scholar athlete. While I’m bummed out on him transferring, he really hit a wall. He didn’t near as good this season as last season. And we picked up Jake Null who should be pretty good in that spot. 

And here's my rundown of what I expect for the lineup to look this season. 

125 - Matt Ramos - our best shot at an AA this year, was blood round last year up a weight. 

133 - Dustin Norris - top 100 ranked wrestler coming out of high school, coming off redshirt

141 - Parker Filius - has wins over AAs, just needs to put it together in March, assume he is using a Covid year

149 - Trey Kruse - really no clue who starts here, Alec White went through senior day, but I thought he might come back, definitely the weakest spot in the lineup

157 - Kendall Coleman - looked a little off last year coming off the ACL injury, hopefully rounds back into shape because he can AA

165 - Hayden Lohrey/Stoney Buell - Hayden Lohrey was solid last year, picked up some lower end ranked wins, Stoney Buell is coming off a solid redshirt campaign, tossup for who starts

174 - Jacob Null - highly ranked in high school, redshirted last year at NC State, split last year at 165/174 so this is a guess

184 - Macartney Parkinson - has spotty results through two years, hopefully can pull it together as the starter

197 - Tommy Penola - another bloodround guy, has an outside shot to AA depending on draw and his offseason improvement

285 - Hayden Copass - was the number one ranked heavyweight coming out of high school and was a late commitment swap from Wisconsin. Talented, but in a deep heavyweight field

All in all, a pretty solid lineup for the Boilermakers. Have a few AA threats and will still field a competent lineup that fair decent in the Big Ten. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

And here's my rundown of what I expect for the lineup to look this season. 

125 - Matt Ramos - our best shot at an AA this year, was blood round last year up a weight. 

133 - Dustin Norris - top 100 ranked wrestler coming out of high school, coming off redshirt

141 - Parker Filius - has wins over AAs, just needs to put it together in March, assume he is using a Covid year

149 - Trey Kruse - really no clue who starts here, Alec White went through senior day, but I thought he might come back, definitely the weakest spot in the lineup

157 - Kendall Coleman - looked a little off last year coming off the ACL injury, hopefully rounds back into shape because he can AA

165 - Hayden Lohrey/Stoney Buell - Hayden Lohrey was solid last year, picked up some lower end ranked wins, Stoney Buell is coming off a solid redshirt campaign, tossup for who starts

174 - Jacob Null - highly ranked in high school, redshirted last year at NC State, split last year at 165/174 so this is a guess

184 - Macartney Parkinson - has spotty results through two years, hopefully can pull it together as the starter

197 - Tommy Penola - another bloodround guy, has an outside shot to AA depending on draw and his offseason improvement

285 - Hayden Copass - was the number one ranked heavyweight coming out of high school and was a late commitment swap from Wisconsin. Talented, but in a deep heavyweight field

All in all, a pretty solid lineup for the Boilermakers. Have a few AA threats and will still field a competent lineup that fair decent in the Big Ten. 

AA’s aside, a few question marks ,but there will be several qualifiers.  

• 2 months later...

To me, Purdue has as good a chance or better to get AA performances out of Coleman or Penola than Santos.

Ramos went back and forth with Comacho at 57 KG over the summer in Freestyle, a guy that is well respected but has never brought home hardware.

Penola has shown great signs of progression not just during the previous offseason(s) but during the season, too.  He seems to wrestle guys tougher after he has felt them a time or two before.

Coleman was clearly not well yet and the only guy who outclasses him every single time in Deakin is gone.  He has beaten a few of the AA that are returning and prior years has been right there with Robb (pre-injury) and had owned Lewan.  He rounds back to form and he is dangerous.

On 10/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, nhs67 said:

To me, Purdue has as good a chance or better to get AA performances out of Coleman or Penola than Santos.

Ramos went back and forth with Comacho at 57 KG over the summer in Freestyle, a guy that is well respected but has never brought home hardware.

Penola has shown great signs of progression not just during the previous offseason(s) but during the season, too.  He seems to wrestle guys tougher after he has felt them a time or two before.

Coleman was clearly not well yet and the only guy who outclasses him every single time in Deakin is gone.  He has beaten a few of the AA that are returning and prior years has been right there with Robb (pre-injury) and had owned Lewan.  He rounds back to form and he is dangerous.