Veazy

34 minutes ago, regionrat1 said:

Veazy = Warrior /double all-American - wrestling is wrestling / why don't the other top kids wrestle greco - drives me me nuts / 

Yes!  At the HS level why wouldn’t you ?  You could have a disappointing day in one and bring back some

hardware in the other …in Veazy’s case he will bring home double the hardware 

At one point Greco used to be first but some of the feedback suggested several wrestlers didn’t want to go through the Greco grind prior to the Freestyle events.  So the organizers decided to change the order hoping that more wrestlers would give Greco a try once they finished up Freestyle and had to stick around with their team anyway.  I’m not sure if this change had a significant help with Greco numbers or not.  

21 hours ago, Bulldog89 said:

Easton Doster was another.

6-2 Freestyle losing in the blood round

4-2 in Greco losing in the round before the blood round.

Going 10-4 is unreal at this level, and will make that young man even hungrier this season, Lunatic fringe, ACTIVATED!!! 

11 hours ago, regionrat1 said:

Back in da day-not sure how many time used a greco move in self defense- launched a few - da average bar bully has no idea he gonna land on his noggin 

Always loved it when somebody from work would find out I used to wrestle. All kinds of tough guys would be flat on their backs wondering "What the heck just happened?" 😎

Stay tuned incredible news to help educate, grow and build interest in Greco and ways to help make it exciting is in the works, and all Greco elite and their  supporters will enjoy it as well as beginners to Greco and it will be first class event with the two great Olympic style coaches  and Ambassadors Andy Oberlin and Graylon Early helping make this event work and be a unique and special experience and opportunity. 

Wish I would've done Greco in high school. I had my first experiences with Greco this summer wrestling with the Ukrainian Olympic Team. A lot of people look at the cool throws and completely overlook the emphasis on positioning, handfighting, footwork, and plenty of other skills that are extremely translatable to the other two styles. I think the issue is that kids are afraid to lose in high school. I know that's the reason I didn't do it in high school. Many wrestlers don't wrestle upper body a lot and as a result, they don't feel comfortable and don't want to lose to wrestlers that they would otherwise beat. I really advocate for more high school wrestlers to give Greco an honest try though as it's helped me a lot with my folkstyle wrestling.

1 hour ago, TysonNisley said:

Wish I would've done Greco in high school. I had my first experiences with Greco this summer wrestling with the Ukrainian Olympic Team. A lot of people look at the cool throws and completely overlook the emphasis on positioning, handfighting, footwork, and plenty of other skills that are extremely translatable to the other two styles. I think the issue is that kids are afraid to lose in high school. I know that's the reason I didn't do it in high school. Many wrestlers don't wrestle upper body a lot and as a result, they don't feel comfortable and don't want to lose to wrestlers that they would otherwise beat. I really advocate for more high school wrestlers to give Greco an honest try though as it's helped me a lot with my folkstyle wrestling.

Excellent take on the mentality.  As coaches and parents we need to do a better job of teaching our young men & women it's ok to lose if it is making you better.

5 hours ago, MUSKEEWRESTLING said:

Excellent take on the mentality.  As coaches and parents we need to do a better job of teaching our young men & women it's ok to lose if it is making you better.

When my sons were in high school, they didn’t wrestle Greco much just because there weren’t very many opportunities to do so.  I don’t know if that has changed much since then.

Both of them placed at Greco State, each finishing 6th … out of 6.

Edited by piscis1956
Fixed minor typo