Jump to content

Indiana U. ‘22-‘23


Recommended Posts

On 7/28/2022 at 8:50 PM, MattM said:

Don’t see Tsirtsis currently listed on the IU staff. Has he moved on to another DI assistant roll?  Maybe moved back home to help run RWA? Just IU not getting something updated correctly. 

 

 

Also does IU have a clear 133 for next year?  I noticed a few 125 and 133 still listed in the transfer portal with starting experience that could fit the spot. 

First, I am amazed that with Angel as a coach and ,at one time , Tsirtsis as a coach , they didn’t land that top 10 or so light weight over those years. Second, it seems that maybe unproven coaching experience is a deterrent for recruits?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2022 at 6:57 AM, Disco said:

First, I am amazed that with Angel as a coach and ,at one time , Tsirtsis as a coach , they didn’t land that top 10 or so light weight over those years. Second, it seems that maybe unproven coaching experience is a deterrent for recruits?

Angel had 3 years as an asst at Iowa St. and a year as an asst at IU before getting the head job.  Iowa st was not a good team while Angel was there.  Their lightweights had virtually no success (0 conference champs), Earl Hall was a 2x AA at 125 and 133 during this time.  Not a great track record when he became head coach.  I'm sure the IU administration thought hiring and Indiana HS legend and IU national champ would be great, the results just haven't been there.  IU hasn't landed any of the elite indiana hs recruits (all the Lee's, Parris, Carroll, Mendez) and the state champs they have been getting haven't panned out.  I'm sure he has a long leash, but looks like a potential Goldman 2.0.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

Angel had 3 years as an asst at Iowa St. and a year as an asst at IU before getting the head job.  Iowa st was not a good team while Angel was there.  Their lightweights had virtually no success (0 conference champs), Earl Hall was a 2x AA at 125 and 133 during this time.  Not a great track record when he became head coach.  I'm sure the IU administration thought hiring and Indiana HS legend and IU national champ would be great, the results just haven't been there.  IU hasn't landed any of the elite indiana hs recruits (all the Lee's, Parris, Carroll, Mendez) and the state champs they have been getting haven't panned out.  I'm sure he has a long leash, but looks like a potential Goldman 2.0.

You have some good talking points here.sounds like He did not have much recruiting experience. While I’m in agreement, that the potential is there for a repeat of the past coaching dumpster fire, I don’t think the AD will let it get to that point. And I will say to the new coaching staffs credit, is the boys they have recruited really get after it. Very enjoyable to watch them wrestle. 180 degree difference from Goldmans last several years squads. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Disco said:

You have some good talking points here.sounds like He did not have much recruiting experience. While I’m in agreement, that the potential is there for a repeat of the past coaching dumpster fire, I don’t think the AD will let it get to that point. And I will say to the new coaching staffs credit, is the boys they have recruited really get after it. Very enjoyable to watch them wrestle. 180 degree difference from Goldmans last several years squads. 

Yes, they "get after it" but it generally hasn't produced results.  And in the end, that's what matters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, Disco said:

...we drag on and end up with a Goldman situation...

I get this, but I do not think Goldman ever went more than three years without an All-American, and every now and then there was a Hoosier in the finals.  I remember when IU let go of Coach Mallory because he only made six bowl games in 13 years.  The result was Cam Cameron, a few others, and IU didn't see another bowl game for I think twelve years. 

 

What's my point?  I don't know.  It just seems like the athletic department wants to do worse.  I am a huge Escobedo fan, and I really hope this year is when he turns it around.      

Edited by matts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, matts said:

I get this, but I do not think Goldman ever went more than three years without an All-American, and every now and then there was a Hoosier in the finals.  I remember when IU let go of Coach Mallory because he only made six bowl games in 13 years.  The result was Cam Cameron, a few others, and IU didn't see another bowl game for I think twelve years. 

 

What's my point?  I don't know.  It just seems like the athletic department wants to do worse.  I am a huge Escobedo fan, and I really hope this year is when he turns it around.      

Very true. And I think that’s the reason Fred Glass , with the blessing of President McRobbie chose to make a change. Duane was not attracting in state elite .and the wrestlers they did have were at half throttle, it seemed  ,and didn’t care. In contrast, Angels guys hit it hard every match and this shows in the bleachers as compared to Goldmans fan base. Not saying Angel is the answer but giving him the reins  is and was better than what we had.  Now how long does the administration give this coach to keep the trajectory in an upwardly movement? I see a leveling off. Thus my reason for starting the thread. It’s not that Angel can’t coach necessarily ,now it seems getting a handle on recruiting and maybe assembling and keeping assistants for consistency ,is the things he needs to improve on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was zero chance IU was going to get Mendez or any of the Lee's unless they had a real potential to win a title. So if Angel is going to do the very best he can I don't think Sollars is a bad pick up. In fact I see him doing quite well at IU. Major has potential as well. If we see Angel stay I think we will see a 4 win dual season and 2 to 3 AA's. I realize that is a streatch but I think that is the gauntlet set before Angel this year. I truly hope he gets there though.

 

Edit: I totally forgot about Freeman lots of potential there as well, as for the others they are talented as well I'm sure I just don't know that much about them.

I just hope that each wrestler gets to compete at the weight that best suites them.

Edited by Ahawkeye
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2022 at 9:30 PM, Ahawkeye said:

There was zero chance IU was going to get Mendez or any of the Lee's unless they had a real potential to win a title. So if Angel is going to do the very best he can I don't think Sollars is a bad pick up. In fact I see him doing quite well at IU. Major has potential as well. If we see Angel stay I think we will see a 4 win dual season and 2 to 3 AA's. I realize that is a streatch but I think that is the gauntlet set before Angel this year. I truly hope he gets there though.

 

Edit: I totally forgot about Freeman lots of potential there as well, as for the others they are talented as well I'm sure I just don't know that much about them.

I just hope that each wrestler gets to compete at the weight that best suites them.

I don't see 2-3 AA's in their line up this coming season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2022 at 10:30 PM, Ahawkeye said:

and 2 to 3 AA's. I realize that is a streatch but I think that is the gauntlet set before Angel this year.

I do to, think that is a stretch. If this becomes a reality then he really has a shot at attracting an elite to the program. Hawkeye is a little wishful as I am. But the ball is in Angels hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.