EMD's Best vs. Marion County 2010s

Random fantasy match-up I'd been thinking about. Haven't been here in awhile.

Marion County All-Stars 2010s

106: Alex Cottey (Perry Meridian)

113: Zeke Seltzer (Cathedral)

120: Deondre Wilson (Warren Central)

126: Breyden Bailey (Cathedral)

132: Jared McKinley (Perry Meridian)

138: Brandon James (Perry Meridian), Tommy Cash (Lawrence North), Zach Melloh (Cathedral)

145: Cody LeCount (Perry Meridian)

152: Elliott Rodgers (Cathedral), Trent Pruitt (Warren Central)

160: Brian Harvey (Cathedral)

170: Dylan Lydy (Ben Davis), Noah Warren (Perry Meridian)

182: Blake Rypel (Cathedral)

195: Tristen Tonte (Warren Central/Perry Meridian), Katrell Moss (Warren Central)

220: Courvoisier Morrow (Warren Central), Dylan Faulkenburg (Cardinal Ritter)

285: Donte Winfield (Perry Meridian), Wesley Bernard (Cathedral)

Evansville Mater Dei

106: Alec Freeman

113: Greg Schaefer

120: Kevin Head

126: Craig Macke, Scott Schaefer

132: Nick Lee

138: Blake Boarman

145: Matt Lee, Craig Weinzapfel

152: Matt Coughlin, Joe Lee, Dustin Nosko

160: Brody Baumann, Sam Wildeman, Eli Dickens

170: Blake Maurer

182: Gabe Sollars

195: Dane Maurer

220: Nathan Critchfield

285: Bill Trainer, Justin VanWinkle

...I'm not going to lie, as a Marion County guy, I'd be worried about this dual from just about start to finish. Heavyweight is the only weight I'd feel comfortable funny enough. Cottey has taken down Freeman in real life, but it was always close. Never saw Coach Schaefer wrestle, but from what I've been told, it was nasty, but Zeke is an absolute buzzsaw. Didn't see Kevin Head, but witnessed Deondre Wilson in real time, so I'll give the nod to the champ. Bailey versus Macke or Schaefer I'm sure would be gold considering Bailey's funkiness and supreme top game as compared to the scrappiness I've heard about the others. 132 would be a spectacle. 138, although Boarman is a champ, Brandon James, while not unstoppable, was the closest thing to it when he was on; Cash, a two-time champ with an unpredictable style, and Melloh is tough as nails, but Boarman is still a state champion who gave Jesse Mendez his closest battle in Indiana maybe in his entire career aside from Seltzer. 145, I have to give the nod to LeCount. Dude could adjust to anyone and was supreme in every position. 152, I don't see how EMD loses any of those match-ups, same with 160. 170 goes to the four-time champion. 182 I'll give Rypel, two-time champion and Super 32 champion. 195, I'll give slight edge to Marion County as Moss is a champion and Tonte is a three-time runner-up between two schools. 220 is Critchfield all day. Heavyweight, it's hard to bet against Winfield or Bernard. Lots of toss-up matches, but the ones EMD wins, I'm sure come with bonus because boy can them boys down south rack 'em up. All love to the homies in Vanderburgh County. Nothing but respect for the Wildcat program.

12 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Random fantasy match-up I'd been thinking about. Haven't been here in awhile.

Marion County All-Stars 2010s

106: Alex Cottey (Perry Meridian)

113: Zeke Seltzer (Cathedral)

120: Deondre Wilson (Warren Central)

126: Breyden Bailey (Cathedral)

132: Jared McKinley (Perry Meridian)

138: Brandon James (Perry Meridian), Tommy Cash (Lawrence North), Zach Melloh (Cathedral)

145: Cody LeCount (Perry Meridian)

152: Elliott Rodgers (Cathedral), Trent Pruitt (Warren Central)

160: Brian Harvey (Cathedral)

170: Dylan Lydy (Ben Davis), Noah Warren (Perry Meridian)

182: Blake Rypel (Cathedral)

195: Tristen Tonte (Warren Central/Perry Meridian), Katrell Moss (Warren Central)

220: Courvoisier Morrow (Warren Central), Dylan Faulkenburg (Cardinal Ritter)

285: Donte Winfield (Perry Meridian), Wesley Bernard (Cathedral)

Evansville Mater Dei

106: Alec Freeman

113: Greg Schaefer

120: Kevin Head

126: Craig Macke, Scott Schaefer

132: Nick Lee

138: Blake Boarman

145: Matt Lee, Craig Weinzapfel

152: Matt Coughlin, Joe Lee, Dustin Nosko

160: Brody Baumann, Sam Wildeman, Eli Dickens

170: Blake Maurer

182: Gabe Sollars

195: Dane Maurer

220: Nathan Critchfield

285: Bill Trainer, Justin VanWinkle

...I'm not going to lie, as a Marion County guy, I'd be worried about this dual from just about start to finish. Heavyweight is the only weight I'd feel comfortable funny enough. Cottey has taken down Freeman in real life, but it was always close. Never saw Coach Schaefer wrestle, but from what I've been told, it was nasty, but Zeke is an absolute buzzsaw. Didn't see Kevin Head, but witnessed Deondre Wilson in real time, so I'll give the nod to the champ. Bailey versus Macke or Schaefer I'm sure would be gold considering Bailey's funkiness and supreme top game as compared to the scrappiness I've heard about the others. 132 would be a spectacle. 138, although Boarman is a champ, Brandon James, while not unstoppable, was the closest thing to it when he was on; Cash, a two-time champ with an unpredictable style, and Melloh is tough as nails, but Boarman is still a state champion who gave Jesse Mendez his closest battle in Indiana maybe in his entire career aside from Seltzer. 145, I have to give the nod to LeCount. Dude could adjust to anyone and was supreme in every position. 152, I don't see how EMD loses any of those match-ups, same with 160. 170 goes to the four-time champion. 182 I'll give Rypel, two-time champion and Super 32 champion. 195, I'll give slight edge to Marion County as Moss is a champion and Tonte is a three-time runner-up between two schools. 220 is Critchfield all day. Heavyweight, it's hard to bet against Winfield or Bernard. Lots of toss-up matches, but the ones EMD wins, I'm sure come with bonus because boy can them boys down south rack 'em up. All love to the homies in Vanderburgh County. Nothing but respect for the Wildcat program.

For MD i'd go:

106:  Chip Elderkin or Gabe Zirkelbach

113:  Schaefer

120:  Rusty Head over Kevin Head

126:  Macke

132:  Nick Lee

138:  Boarman

145:  Craig Weinzapfel

152:  Joe Lee

160:  Coughlin

170:  Baumann

182:  Blake Maurer bumps up here

195:  Sollars

220:  Critchfield

285:  VanWinkle

Through my red/gold colored glasses I think MD wins at:

106 - both MD guys were big 10 wrestlers.  They beat cottey

113 - I take Seltzer here but would be a great match up

120 - toss up

126 - Macke

132 - Lee

138 - toss up

145 - Weinzapfel

152 - Lee

160 - Coughlin

170 - Baumann

182 - Maurer (could be the best match of the dual)

195 - Sollars

220 - Critchfield

285 - Marion county

Great topic and it certainly speaks to the amount of talent that both Marion County and EMD have produced over this period.  If only a dual meet like this could happen...

I'm curious though, does anyone know what level of talent Mater Dei has coming up in the pipeline?  Their '21 and '22 classes were obviously strong, but is my sense correct - I live in Ohio - that they'll be down a bit over the next year or two, at least by their normal standards?  I'm sure they'll send out a formidable lineup in any case though.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Umm, missing Jordan Slivka. He'd beat anyone at 138 with a 1-0 victory. I'd prob take him at 145 too if the dual was on the line. 

Check me if I am wrong but Slivka never wrestled 138 (thought a Cathedral guy would know this). Slivka was and is great but give me Cody LeCount and Weinzapfel over him any day. Think his best shot for a victory would be at 152.

2 hours ago, Joe Exotics Wildcats said:

Check me if I am wrong but Slivka never wrestled 138 (thought a Cathedral guy would know this). Slivka was and is great but give me Cody LeCount and Weinzapfel over him any day. Think his best shot for a victory would be at 152.

he won his 2nd title at 160. Over a great DJ washington that year. I'd take Shorty at 160 all day over Harvey. Then definitely give a W over any of the mater dei guy sent out. 

41 minutes ago, Websterk149 said:

he won his 2nd title at 160. Over a great DJ washington that year. I'd take Shorty at 160 all day over Harvey. Then definitely give a W over any of the mater dei guy sent out. 

Harvey was a stud, as was Baumann. Would almost come down to if those guys get a takedown. Id imagine neither of them would go down, but what do I know.

1 hour ago, Joe Exotics Wildcats said:

Harvey was a stud, as was Baumann. Would almost come down to if those guys get a takedown. Id imagine neither of them would go down, but what do I know.

All are studs. All would thump me. Slight bias to slivvy is main reason. Also, the more you bet against a slivka the more likely they win i've learnt over the years. Shorty would just take top if it came down to it lol

3 hours ago, Websterk149 said:

No way he beats Coughlin at 160.  No way at all.

20 hours ago, Rookies03 said:

Not to split hairs but.... Cathedral might be located in Marion County but they compete in the City and are apart of the City alliance.  

I think blueandgold intended for the comparison to be with Marion County as a whole as opposed to just including the outer rim of the county.  For example, he included a wrestler from Cardinal Ritter as well.  And including Cathedral as part of “the city” is an artificial construct anyway.  Geographically, Cathedral is clearly not part of “the city”.

Edited by piscis1956