Indiana Travel Restrictions modified!!!!!

The IHSAA has modified the travel restrictions!

Per

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/news media/2021-22/062322.BasketballFormat.pdf

The Committee approved modified restrictions on Indiana schools competing against schools from beyond the 300-mile travel limit. IHSAA schools will now be able to participate against out-of-state schools from beyond the 300-mile limit as long as they are in good standing with their state association, the venue is within the 300 mile limit, is and is sanctioned by the NFHS and IHSAA. Also, Indiana schools may now host out-of-state schools in Indiana from beyond the 300-mile limit as long as they are a member in good standing with their own state association and the event is sanctioned by the NFHS and IHSAA.

Great I’ve been asking to see this exact rule adjustment for the better part of 25 years. While I don’t expect a rush on major national events like Ironman this is a perfect compromise to help individual sports attend nearby tournaments without being concerns about who else is there. However, now I have to find something new with the IHSAA to complain about.  I’ll always have wrestle-backs. 

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Great I’ve been asking to see this exact rule adjustment for the better part of 25 years. While I don’t expect a rush on major national events like Ironman this is a perfect compromise to help individual sports attend nearby tournaments without being concerns about who else is there. However, now I have to find something new with the IHSAA to complain about.  I’ll always have wrestle-backs. 

Ironman is highly unlikely as they are full for this upcoming year. However, I have been in communication with some high profile coaches and they are looking into some of the bigger events right now. Of course....they are "other" options too.

Checking out final placements at this year's IHSAA state tournament.

Interested with 1) how many of those spots the pre-sectional Top 16 rankings occupied and 2) the average ranking of individuals for those placements.

This is what I gathered.

1st - 14 - 1.86

2nd - 14 - 3.86

3rd - 14 - 4.93

4th - 13 - 6.00

5th - 14 - 6.07

6th - 13 - 8.62

7th - 11 - 7.55

8th - 11 - 8.18

On 6/25/2022 at 1:34 PM, nsstrub said:

Checking out final placements at this year's IHSAA state tournament.

Interested with 1) how many of those spots the pre-sectional Top 16 rankings occupied and 2) the average ranking of individuals for those placements.

This is what I gathered.

1st - 14 - 1.86

2nd - 14 - 3.86

3rd - 14 - 4.93

4th - 13 - 6.00

5th - 14 - 6.07

6th - 13 - 8.62

7th - 11 - 7.55

8th - 11 - 8.18

now i'm interested in an all time one. you should do all-time. should keep you busy for a bit

30 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Crown Point full team
Brownsburg partial team

Both in at Ironman!

Also there is another top wrestler that is attending as the contract was just finalized this morning. We should have over 20 representatives at this prestigious event this year alone.

Would it be safe to assume a 220/heavyweight from the FW semi state?

Can someone tell me why Burg is only sending half their team and why Jimtown is only sending Carroll? Obviously it’s a top in season tournament so are they just bringing kids they think could at least win a couple matches? Didn’t know if there is a criteria that only allows certain kids into the tournament or not. Honestly curious on this. 

11 hours ago, bigballerb said:

Can someone tell me why Burg is only sending half their team and why Jimtown is only sending Carroll? Obviously it’s a top in season tournament so are they just bringing kids they think could at least win a couple matches? Didn’t know if there is a criteria that only allows certain kids into the tournament or not. Honestly curious on this. 

Unsure about Brownsburg to speak on but I’m sure Jimtown knows the talent level of their team and most those kids would be overwhelmed there. Plus I’m thinking Ironman wouldn’t want to water down their tournament by having a team with kids not at that level. 

11 hours ago, bigballerb said:

This tournament has a cap on the number of entries. The teams realize the level here and do not want to bring their average or even above average kids. Most teams in this event are only bringing a few kids. In order to maximize the number of top quality entries they need to cap it at "capable" wrestlers. Both coaches and tournament admin agree that they shouldn't be taking kids that simply don't belong there. This type of thinking has lead to this being a premier event and not filled with any fluff.

In talking with every coach involved with going to the Ironman they all agree that there is no good reason to send kids that aren't ready for the level of competition here. 

In the opening round it would be considered a great draw if you had the equivalent of a ticket round semi-state level wrestler.  By the end of it you will have some multi-time state placers coming from solid wrestling states who don’t even finish in the Top 8.  

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

This tournament has a cap on the number of entries. The teams realize the level here and do not want to bring their average or even above average kids. Most teams in this event are only bringing a few kids. In order to maximize the number of top quality entries they need to cap it at "capable" wrestlers. Both coaches and tournament admin agree that they shouldn't be taking kids that simply don't belong there. This type of thinking has lead to this being a premier event and not filled with any fluff.

In talking with every coach involved with going to the Ironman they all agree that there is no good reason to send kids that aren't ready for the level of competition here. 

That makes a lot of sense, and kind of figured that. Thanks for the help!

16 hours ago, bigballerb said:

A lot of it has to do with wrestlers credentials. Like Brownsburg has a lot of good incoming freshman that’s going because their Fargo All-Americans and such accolades. Invite only and they want the best. 

When our travel rule recently changed, Ironman had already been closed for new entries for a while.  They made an exception because of the late rule change in Indiana.  Our ultimate goal is to bring our entire team.  I agree with Joe on not bringing someone who is not ready, though.  

Crown Point has several more returning placers than us and beat us multiple times last year.  That got them their whole team in, which we completely understand.  After some discussion and negotiation, I got our number to 7 with the understanding our goal is to bring our entire team in the future.  We saw at least a couple teams at Disney that I believe are bringing their entire team to ironman.  We did well against both.  We honesty just appreciate them working with us to get some of our guys in given the late change!

Snyder

Edited by Darrick Snyder