Indiana’s Best

On 6/21/2022 at 10:40 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

How many Indiana wrestlers have an Olympic medal? 

While I agree with the premise of that argument, it's not absolute.  Myles Amine has a bronze medal, yet he's no better than the 4th -6th in the US, arguably 4th best in Happy Valley PA.

Granted it's not a direct comparison to Maroulis, but an Olympic Medal, while impressive as hell isn't always the UTB, so to speak 

Though I agree with others that you can make qualifications between men/women, some disagree and that is fine. The reality is this conversation is about splitting hairs on levels of greatness. 

However, I think the qualification can be she is the best freestyle wrestler in Indiana's history, especially if the UTB is medal.

Folkstyle would be Howe (in my opinion) but there are a lot of other great ones out there - like Mendez, Tsirtsis, Lee, and many more.

Not that this will sway opinions, because as SunDevils just posted, we're splitting hairs here.  But Nick Lee has been named Penn St. Male Athlete of the Year.  Here is the article, which also provides a good summary of his career accomplishments, including 118 wins.

Nick Lee - PSU Male Athlete of the Year

18 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Not that this will sway opinions, because as SunDevils just posted, we're splitting hairs here.  But Nick Lee has been named Penn St. Male Athlete of the Year.  Here is the article, which also provides a good summary of his career accomplishments, including 118 wins.

Nick Lee - PSU Male Athlete of the Year

Yeah he is decent!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

I think male or female in wrestling isn't that big of an apples to oranges conversation. I agree with the physicality difference and natural differences of course. However, these athletes are competing at an equal level inside their worlds based on relativity. To win worlds, you are beating highly skilled wrestlers. Women vs Woman is just as much as a grind for the women as man vs man is for the men. Let's be honest, when it comes to freestyle, i would say our women are more technically sound than our men in a general sense. It's basically all the women do. Now with all of that said, I would still have it split and have best men's and best women's because it takes the whole conversation above out of the discussion and we can just talk about accomplishments and technical acumen. That's just my thoughts.