Indiana’s Best

Not Andrew Howe or Angel Escobedo?

Back this winter I put together a list of the best wrestlers of all time. I put in values for placements at state, college, and world level events. Some are a little arbitrary, but it's a good list of GREAT wrestlers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aFeir613jNa7JYV6p0vuh7aMKDt-9KryMRW2K0xU660/edit?usp=sharing

Both Howe and Esscobedo are Region Rats. But the Rat has to call a spade a spade. What she has accomplished on the world level tops it all. Even if I could stuff the ballot box or pack the court I have to go with Hildi. ( not that it happens in Lake county) I am a huge fan of our Indiana girl erasers.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Not many can say they have medaled at the cadet, junior, U23, and senior levels. Consistency at that high of a level is extremely impressive.

But at the same time how many women are competing? You have to factor in the level of competition and competitors. She’s the women’s GOAT of Indiana, but similar to mma you can’t compare this as apples to apples. 

11 hours ago, Jayruss said:

But at the same time how many women are competing? You have to factor in the level of competition and competitors. She’s the women’s GOAT of Indiana, but similar to mma you can’t compare this as apples to apples. 

When someone wins a sprinting event, we don’t look to see how many people ran the 100 meter dash in high school because we know the Olympic sprinter would smoke every single person in the world. 
Hildabrandt and Miracle would smoke almost every single woman in the world on the mat, and it’s a big pretty big world. 

On 6/13/2022 at 10:41 AM, Jcjcjc said:

When someone wins a sprinting event, we don’t look to see how many people ran the 100 meter dash in high school because we know the Olympic sprinter would smoke every single person in the world. 
Hildabrandt and Miracle would smoke almost every single woman in the world on the mat, and it’s a big pretty big world. 

They are great, no doubt about it.  Do they deserve to be mentioned among the Indiana greats?  Absolutlely.  Would Hildebrandt be the very best ever from Indiana.  No.  Nobody considers Flo Jo or Alison Felix to be better than say Carl Lewis, even though they may have more accolades.  Same type of thing here.

18 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

They are great, no doubt about it.  Do they deserve to be mentioned among the Indiana greats?  Absolutlely.  Would Hildebrandt be the very best ever from Indiana.  No.  Nobody considers Flo Jo or Alison Felix to be better than say Carl Lewis, even though they may have more accolades.  Same type of thing here.

I believe it is too close to call between Lewis and Felix . Carl has more gold , Felix has more total medals . Felix not only made an Olympic team after giving birth , but won Gold . I tend to sway towards Felix as the Goat Track athlete . 

14 minutes ago, M109R said:

I believe it is too close to call between Lewis and Felix . Carl has more gold , Felix has more total medals . Felix not only made an Olympic team after giving birth , but won Gold . I tend to sway towards Felix as the Goat Track athlete . 

Agree to disagree.  Felix's personal best in the 400m is 49.26, which would have placed 10th at this year's IHSAA boys state finals.  It's just hard for me to say that she's the GOAT track athlete.

Let's look at another case.  Who would you consider to be the GOAT from Maryland?  Kyle Snyder or Helen Maroulis?  Maroulis has 7 World/Olympic medals:  4 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze.  Snyder has 7 as well:  3 Gold, 3 silver, and a bronze.  I'd guess not a single person would say Maroulis, even though she has more golds.  

Edited by ReformedPoster

Of course, it’s apples to oranges.  There’s a reason why the males and females don’t compete against each other at the higher levels.  Obviously, if someone says Sara Hildebrandt is Indiana’s Best, then they obviously aren’t seriously talking about literally all Indiana wrestlers.

1 hour ago, piscis1956 said:

Of course, it’s apples to oranges.  There’s a reason why the males and females don’t compete against each other at the higher levels.  Obviously, if someone says Sara Hildebrandt is Indiana’s Best, then they obviously aren’t seriously talking about literally all Indiana wrestlers.

How many Indiana wrestlers have an Olympic medal? 

5 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Agree to disagree.  Felix's personal best in the 400m is 49.26, which would have placed 10th at this year's IHSAA boys state finals.  It's just hard for me to say that she's the GOAT track athlete.

Let's look at another case.  Who would you consider to be the GOAT from Maryland?  Kyle Snyder or Helen Maroulis?  Maroulis has 7 World/Olympic medals:  4 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze.  Snyder has 7 as well:  3 Gold, 3 silver, and a bronze.  I'd guess not a single person would say Maroulis, even though she has more golds.  

I would absolutely say Maroulis. Why do you assume people wouldn't? 

On 6/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, ReformedPoster said:

People do consider this track analogy. You are just assuming people agree with your logic when it comes to other sports and then using that logic for wrestling. Maroulis beat an unbeatable foe to win the first Olympic Gold for USA in women's wrestling. That's the best win for USA Wrestling of all time in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Jcjcjc said:

People do consider this track analogy. You are just assuming people agree with your logic when it comes to other sports and then using that logic for wrestling. Maroulis beat an unbeatable foe to win the first Olympic Gold for USA in women's wrestling. That's the best win for USA Wrestling of all time in my opinion. 

I disagree.  Rulon beating Karelin, Slay beating Satiev and Snyder beating Sadulaev are above the Maroulis win for me.  Karelin is the greatest greco wrestler of all time.  Rulon beating him was a monumental upset.  Same for Slay over Satiev.  Sadulaev is the best wrestler in the world and has been for years.  Snyder beating him was a huge upset

55 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

If the Ncaa had D1 womans wrestling how would Kayla Miracle do? Will she AA? will she win it all> What would be her record?

What about Sarah?

they both were multiple time national champions in the highest collegiate league at the time of their careers.

20 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

I disagree.  Rulon beating Karelin, Slay beating Satiev and Snyder beating Sadulaev are above the Maroulis win for me.  Karelin is the greatest greco wrestler of all time.  Rulon beating him was a monumental upset.  Same for Slay over Satiev.  Sadulaev is the best wrestler in the world and has been for years.  Snyder beating him was a huge upset

Helen beat a 16 time defending world/Olympic champ.