Schoolboy Dual History

bbell

Looking forward to the upcoming Schoolboy dual tournament and certainly disappointed that next year it will be hosted outside of Indiana for the first time. Regardless, excited to see if Team Indiana Gold can make a run at a Top 8 finish this year. Quite a few from last year's team are present on this years team and there also appears to be a very large number of State Champs present on the team. I will be fun to watch if prior team member, @CodyLeCount (2010 Freestyle team; Current Team Indiana Coach) and coaches can lead these boys to a top 8 finish!

In anticipation of the week ahead I took a look back at the historical finishes for Team Indiana at these duals. Links to the full tournament results are hyperlinked within.... in addition to some notes listing the Team Indiana rosters for the teams finishing Top 8. Some recognizable names on the Indiana teams for sure.

USAW Schoolboy FRECO Nationals Dual History

TEAM INDIANA GOLD
FREESTYLE

71 – Karson Kahalekomo

77 – Traevon Ducking

83 – Alden Walker

87 – Case Bell

92 – Jensen Boyd

97 – Caleb Schaefer

102 – Bradyn Volz

106 – Isaac Campbell

110 – Braylon Reynolds

114 – Carter Fielden

119 – Lincoln Cooper

125 – Tommy Gibbs

130 – Peyton Hornsby

136 – Lucas Boe

149 – Wyatt Hoppes

165 – Kellen Fellure

187 – Ceasar Salas

250 – Hayden Smith

Thanks for posting.  Brought back some good memories.  I got to compete in this event back in the day when I was a schoolboy, as it was just starting to become a huge event, and it was still held at Yorktown.   Was fortunate to run the training camps and corner the 2010-14 teams with @swain358 we had a lot of fun coaching a bunch of young talent for those 7 days every June!  There was so much talent on those teams, and it was fun to watch them grow up and go on to have great success in high school and college and internationally.  It is sad to see this trip leave the state, as it was founded by Indiana in the 1990s.  

Edited by Wade McClurg

2 hours ago, bbell said:

Looking forward to the upcoming Schoolboy dual tournament and certainly disappointed that next year it will be hosted outside of Indiana for the first time. Regardless, excited to see if Team Indiana Gold can make a run at a Top 8 finish this year. Quite a few from last year's team are present on this years team and there also appears to be a very large number of State Champs present on the team. I will be fun to watch if prior team member, @CodyLeCount (2010 Freestyle team; Current Team Indiana Coach) and coaches can lead these boys to a top 8 finish!

In anticipation of the week ahead I took a look back at the historical finishes for Team Indiana at these duals. Links to the full tournament results are hyperlinked within.... in addition to some notes listing the Team Indiana rosters for the teams finishing Top 8. Some recognizable names on the Indiana teams for sure.

USAW Schoolboy FRECO Nationals Dual History

TEAM INDIANA GOLD
FREESTYLE

71 – Karson Kahalekomo

77 – Traevon Ducking

83 – Alden Walker

87 – Case Bell

92 – Jensen Boyd

97 – Caleb Schaefer

102 – Bradyn Volz

106 – Isaac Campbell

110 – Braylon Reynolds

114 – Carter Fielden

119 – Lincoln Cooper

125 – Tommy Gibbs

130 – Peyton Hornsby

136 – Lucas Boe

149 – Wyatt Hoppes

165 – Kellen Fellure

187 – Ceasar Salas

250 – Hayden Smith

This team appears to be pretty loaded and has most the top school boy kids who qualified. I can definitely see a top 8 finish in Freestyle and would be shocked otherwise 

I know Pat Culp and Co are working on bringing it back to Indiana in the near future.   A few factors in play were: USAW asking for $20,000 more than they usually ask from the host to have the event (the city in PA was willing to pay), and they also want the duals in big venues (no more high schools).  

8 minutes ago, Wade McClurg said:

I know Pat Culp and Co are working on bringing it back to Indiana in the near future.   A few factors in play were: USAW asking for $20,000 more than they usually ask from the host to have the event (the city in PA was willing to pay), and they also want the duals in big venues (no more high schools).  

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

Two matches left IN down 15 to NJ.  Indiana Gold will end up runner-up which is still the best placement in Indiana Greco history (previous best 6th) I’m sure our last two guys are going to push as much as they can to help close the final score too.  Then on to what is hopefully a great Freestyle showing, as well.  

Edited by MattM

Team Indiana Gold Freestyle has secured a top 8 finish and will wrestle PA, NJ and MN in Gold Pool matches before the placement crossover today. In pool play they defeated OK (77-6); Utah (47-21); Lost to Illinois (39-34) and then secured true second with a win over Wisconsin (51-28). 

Edited by bbell

1 hour ago, MattM said:

IN got the win over PA.  Up next is NJ likely their biggest challenge to get to the finals. 

Those boys are doing great. A few big names missing off this team are Clinton Shepherd, Layne Horn , Gavin Lewis, Jackson Bradley, Alex Huddleston, and Jett Goldsberry. I’m not knocking any kids on this team but would have loved to see a absolute loaded team. This team currently will make a run for Top 4 finish for sure 

Edited by JORVILLE

IN ends up falling to NJ, but picked up a win against Minnesota.  They are now wrestling for 3rd place against Illinois, who narrowly beat them in the pool stage. 

Edited by MattM

With 2 matches left IN has enough of a lead to top IL and bringing home a 3rd place finish.  Way to make the adjustment from the first encounter in the pool stage.  From prior scores you could  easily make the argument the squad would have had a close meet with 2nd place Iowa if their was a true second.  

Best finish in Schoolboy Freestyle history for IN too. Nice showing this weekend boys.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.