Senior World Team Trials Challenge Tournament Sat/Sun May 21-22

Some great wrestling will happen this weekend, with two IN guys in the mix.

At 61kg - Jesse Mendez is the 4 seed.  It appears at this weight, the seeding committee penalized for FF's at the US Open.  Daniel Deshazer beat Mendez at the US Open and later FF'd the 3rd/4th Place match.  DeShazer is seeded 6th despite the win over Jesse.  Seth Gross is the 5th seed and he also FF'd to to DeShazer and Tyler Graff to finish 6th, after losing to eventual Champ Nico Megaludis in the semis.  Seeding aside, Jesse will face former NCAA Champ Seth Gross in the 1st round/Quarterfinal.  Should he knock off Gross, he'll likely see Megalis, the #1 seed.  Personally, I think he'd have a better shot as the 6-seed, but you gotta win matches to get to the end.  Whoever wins Sunday afternoon will face Daton Fix who at Final X, who is sitting in wait.

At 65kg - Nick Lee is the 4 seed and may have gotten a favorable draw.  Nick finished 3rd at the 2020/21 US Olympic Trials, losing to Jordan Oliver and then running off wins against 3 former NCAA Champs on the back side.  Between Nashon Garrett, Zain Retherford and Yianni Diakimohalis there were 6 NCAA Titles at the time (now 7).  Kendrick Maple, another former NCAA Champ, came out of retirement and won the US Open last month, in impressive fashion.  By winning the US Open, he's the #1 seed.  #s 2 and 3 respectively are Yianni and Joey McKenna. Lee should face Josh Saunders in round 1, then Matthew Kolodzik in the Quarters.  Maple will be challenged by Eric Henderson or Pat Lugo in Quarterfinal.  The 2 winners of the Semifinal will skip the final and prepare for a best of 3 showdown at Final X, as there is no returning medalist waiting in the wings.  

9 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Lucas Davison is wrestling at heavyweight, he's the 8th seed

Missed him, sorry!   Is Mason still nursing an injury?  

I didn't look at the women because I know Kayla Miracle is sitting waiting for Final X and assumed Sarah Hildebrandt was as well.  Any others I missed?

Lucas finished 5th at the US Open, dropping decisions to Dom Bradley and Demetrius Thomas.  He'll likely open against Jordan Wood who he beat at the US Open.  Top Seed Hayden Zillmer will likely be waiting in the semifinal.  The 2 and 3 seeds are Nick Gwiazdowski and Tony Cassioppi. 

Here is an article on Flo ($) about potential early round matchups....  

Best Early Round Matches at the WTT - Mens Freestyle

On 5/19/2022 at 9:42 PM, SWINfan said:

Some great wrestling will happen this weekend, with two IN guys in the mix.

At 61kg - Jesse Mendez is the 4 seed.  It appears at this weight, the seeding committee penalized for FF's at the US Open.  Daniel Deshazer beat Mendez at the US Open and later FF'd the 3rd/4th Place match.  DeShazer is seeded 6th despite the win over Jesse.  Seth Gross is the 5th seed and he also FF'd to to DeShazer and Tyler Graff to finish 6th, after losing to eventual Champ Nico Megaludis in the semis.  Seeding aside, Jesse will face former NCAA Champ Seth Gross in the 1st round/Quarterfinal.  Should he knock off Gross, he'll likely see Megalis, the #1 seed.  Personally, I think he'd have a better shot as the 6-seed, but you gotta win matches to get to the end.  Whoever wins Sunday afternoon will face Daton Fix who at Final X, who is sitting in wait.

At 65kg - Nick Lee is the 4 seed and may have gotten a favorable draw.  Nick finished 3rd at the 2020/21 US Olympic Trials, losing to Jordan Oliver and then running off wins against 3 former NCAA Champs on the back side.  Between Nashon Garrett, Zain Retherford and Yianni Diakimohalis there were 6 NCAA Titles at the time (now 7).  Kendrick Maple, another former NCAA Champ, came out of retirement and won the US Open last month, in impressive fashion.  By winning the US Open, he's the #1 seed.  #s 2 and 3 respectively are Yianni and Joey McKenna. Lee should face Josh Saunders in round 1, then Matthew Kolodzik in the Quarters.  Maple will be challenged by Eric Henderson or Pat Lugo in Quarterfinal.  The 2 winners of the Semifinal will skip the final and prepare for a best of 3 showdown at Final X, as there is no returning medalist waiting in the wings.  

Seeding used the Open as a strict reward system according to predetermined rules, with no deference for on-the-mat results that contradicted system rewards. 

I wish there was some other way to watch/follow this other than a yearly subscription with Flo. I don't want to pay them $150 to watch 1 to 2 events a year.

I wonder how much money they lose by not allowing a monthly subscription?

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

I wish there was some other way to watch/follow this other than a yearly subscription with Flo. I don't want to pay them $150 to watch 1 to 2 events a year.

I wonder how much money they lose by not allowing a monthly subscription?

I suspect you'd watch a lot more than 1-2 events a year.  
MD Holiday Classic
Team State
Semi-State and State
MCWC Duals

Many major FS tournaments

Plus you get access to archives of all events plus past events.  

I was once a Flo hater in a big way.  But after the acquisition of Track Wrestling, I have found it to be well worth the money.  But the single chunk of $ isn't ideal.  

That said, if $30 isn't too much, you can do a monthly sub for FloBowling and it will give you access to all Flo events.  They offer $30 monthly, cancel anytime

4 hours ago, maligned said:

Seeding used the Open as a strict reward system according to predetermined rules, with no deference for on-the-mat results that contradicted system rewards. 

But it wasn't strictly that as Tyler Graff is the 3rd seed after getting 6th at the Open.  

Mendez looking great against the well seasoned Gross. Mendez almost ends it but Gross catches him gets trap arm, turning him several time to get the lead.  Unfortunate ending from Mendez trying to push the offense to wrap up the match.  I think the final was Gross 13-12 

Edited by MattM

7 minutes ago, MattM said:

Mendez looking great against the well seasoned Gross

What a crazy match!   Gross gets multiple turns with a trap arm and pulls it out 13-12.  Mendez was the boss most of that match, but seasoned may be the exact correct term for Seth Gross.

Nick Lee won in the round of 16, 10-3 over Josh Saunders and Lucas Davison lost another heartbreaker in the same round, dropping 6-6 to Jordan Wood on a late score.

Nick Lee on deck on Mat 3, facing 5 seed Matthew Kolodzik, formerly of Princeton.

Edited by SWINfan

Wow, Nick gives up and early double leg TD, then follows with his own on a nice duck under, followed by 5 leg lace turns to get the 12-2 TF

Lee and Mendez' matches show that FS is more than just wrestling on your feet.  Mat wrestling, aka par terre (sp?) can make the difference in a match quickly. Not a commentary on either wrestler, just happened there were 2 good examples close to each other that involved IN wrestlers.

Edited by SWINfan

Flo Stream drops out with Yianni - Pletcher.  Comes back and it's 8-0 YD.  Yianni finishes things off 10-0.  

Evan Henderson knocks off top seed Kendric Maple 5-2 and will be Lee's opponent in the semifinals this afternoon.  One more win to gain a seat at Final X!

Edited by SWINfan

10 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

1 seed Maple goes down while Yianni is routing Pletcher. 
Crash course for a Lee Vs Yianni finale?

McKenna is likely the only one that can change that, but that's likely what we'll see.  Evan Henderson is a wily vet so he won't give it up to Nick without a fight.

Just a note, they won't wrestle the Finals at this event.  The two semifinal winners will face off in a best of three at Final X in New York City on Wednesday June 8th, at 1:00 Central Time.  An odd time for an event, but it is part of the annual NY Beat the Streets event.  Just in case anyone didn't know...

Final X Locations and Bout order

Update: So much for McKenna having a say.  He goes down to Ian Parker 8-5 after leading 5-2.  

Edited by SWINfan
Add results

4 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

McKenna is likely the only one that can change that, but that's likely what we'll see.  Evan Henderson is a wily vet so he won't give it up to Nick without a fight.

Just a note, they won't wrestle the Finals at this event.  The two semifinal winners will face off in a best of three at Final X in New York City on Wednesday June 8th, at 1:00 Central Time.  An odd time for an event, but it is part of the annual NY Beat the Streets event.  Just in case anyone didn't know...

Final X Locations and Bout order

McKenna just fell to Ian Parker.