Girls Wrestling Approved as Emerging Sport

I agree.  I'd like to know what this coming season will look like.  Are girls still wrestling boys?  If not, we will need to schedule many more meets to get my girls the matches that they are used to.  

I am very worried what this is going to look like when it is approved as a sport. Are schools going to need to split their wrestling stipends? I know most schools will not be able to have a separate wrestling stipend budget for just girl's wrestling. This is absolutely great for the sport if it is done the right way. There needs to be a plan that is structured and followed. It would be beneficial if the IHSAA contacted the coaches of EMD, Crown Point, Center Grove, etc. How is it going to look at their school and use their input. Are some schools going to be able to have a second wrestling room? If you can wall a room off and throw some mats down then both teams can switch off days or weeks. Is girls wrestling going to follow the same season has the boy's?? Many questions that need to be answered.

1 minute ago, clshep said:

None of these things you mentioned are an issue for basketball.  Yes, in many cases the facilities may have to be shared.

So you think many schools will have multiple stipends open up? Will girls be allowed to compete still on the boys side? When will youth clubs practice? Like I stated many questions still need to be answered. Many school have more than one basketball floor, it is not that easy in wrestling. Again, it is great for the sport and I am thrilled, however, I believe a plan needs to be layed out for everyone to see.

The IHSWCA has presented many schools plans to fund and facilitate girls wrestling in Indiana. For example I know the Hobart AD and Head Coach made a proposal to facilitate girls wrestling and this was used in the presentation to the IHSAA. Each school will have to do it their own way, but as wrestlers we evolve and figure it out as a process. 💪

Just a heads up, I am working on having a Gorilla Radio this week to talk with Danny Struck and he'll answer these questions and more. If you have questions post them here or DM me. We want to get the information out there as best possible and try to get questions answered so we are all prepared for this.

11 minutes ago, Coach Hartman said:

I really think one of the biggest problems that may arise will be if they allow girls to wrestle on the boys team, or do they have to choose between one or the other. 

When it's sanctioned my educated guess is they won't have a choice. I do not believe there are any states that sanction girls wrestling that allow that.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:49 PM, Matt Time said:

What does that mean from a practical standpoint for the season

8 hours ago, brickfor6 said:

The IHSWCA has presented many schools plans to fund and facilitate girls wrestling in Indiana. For example I know the Hobart AD and Head Coach made a proposal to facilitate girls wrestling and this was used in the presentation to the IHSAA. Each school will have to do it their own way, but as wrestlers we evolve and figure it out as a process. 💪

I’m curious how was Hobart’’s plan present to the IHSAA. In writing or someone giving the oral presentation?

7 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Just a heads up, I am working on having a Gorilla Radio this week to talk with Danny Struck and he'll answer these questions and more. If you have questions post them here or DM me. We want to get the information out there as best possible and try to get questions answered so we are all prepared for this.

Danny gave me a call today to give me some more info on this kind of stuff should be a great show!

9 hours ago, brickfor6 said:

Would this head coach be willing to share said proposal to other coaches?

My main question is about timing. As far as I am aware, nothing functionally changes during the emerging sport process, it's only until it's officially sanctioned. According to what I've read, that happens after 50% of IHSAA membership schools are participating in the sport. In the article I just saw, there are 407 IHSAA member schools and there are currently 113 schools with at least some girl wrestlers. So, if I read that right, that means 204 schools need to offer girls wrestling (i.e., 50% of 407) to sanction? And how are they defining "participation"? Is having just one girl enough to be considered a "team"? In the past, I've read things where it needed to be something like 8 or more girls at a school. I've also read that these target numbers have to be hit for 2 consecutive years before it moves forward. It seems like defining what the target number of schools is, what defines a school having a girls team (one vs. multiple participants), and how long this target needs to be met for, are the key issues. This will determine whether this happens in a few years or much, much longer. If 204 high schools need to have an 8-girl team for 2 consecutive seasons, that might take 20 years!

Until I hear otherwise, I think we're going to plan on handling girls wrestling in much the same way as last year. Same practice time and space as the boys, freedom to practice with the people who are best suited to their level of skills and weight. Dedicated volunteer/assistant coach to help carry the workload and get them to their weekend invitationals. Plugging the girls into JV/varsity weekday duals where it makes sense (and still permitted). We had between 6-8 girls most practices/weekends last year. I expect to use the IHSAA announcement to help build some credibility amongst the incoming class to help build awareness that this fast growing sport is, indeed, an option for young ladies looking to challenge and grow in new ways that they haven't before. We've already sent such a note to our feeder schools to make sure they mention this announcement to their ADs, students, parents, gym teachers, etc.

Edited by Matt Time

We are tentatively scheduling a Gorilla Radio with Danny Struck tomorrow(Thursday May 5th) to talk about what this exactly means. We are awaiting some clarifications on common questions from our good friend Mr. Faulkens before we go live.

As always, we will be live on Facebook around 8:45-9pm and always encourage audience participation!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.