35!!!! North Carolina Sanctions Girls High School Wrestling

Dave Cloud

Most likely some unpopular questions/opinions.

How does girls wrestling look in these states in terms of schedules and implementation?

Are they doing JV/Girls/Varsity duals or are they totally separate?

Are girls able to wrestle against boys during the regular season?
Are girls able to enter the boys state series?

Are there duals or just tournaments? How long is the season?

How are the schools juggling coaching duties, are they creating totally new positions or adding to the load of the boy's staff?
How do their state series look? Are they utilizing the boy's state series venues and dates or using something different?

How are practices conducted, with the boys or separate?

While I want girls wrestling sanctioned, I also want it done in the right way. The IHSAA had to implement a strategy so that they don't get pressured by other sports to add sports just because. Bowling, men's volleyball, rugby, lacrosse, etc are all gaining popularity at the high school level and if you just add one sport you better have a plan to add others.

Edited by Y2CJ41
Added a question

Does anyone know how the other states are handling the sanctioning of girls wrestling?  How do they answer the questions above?  I know that a lot of these states are just starting or will start soon.  Interested in how the states have been doing things.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Most likely some unpopular questions/opinions.

How does girls wrestling look in these states in terms of schedules and implementation?

Are they doing JV/Girls/Varsity duals or are they totally separate?

Are girls able to wrestle against boys during the regular season?
Are girls able to enter the boys state series?

Are there duals or just tournaments? How long is the season?

How are the schools juggling coaching duties, are they creating totally new positions or adding to the load of the boy's staff?
How do their state series look? Are they utilizing the boy's state series venues and dates or using something different?

While I want girls wrestling sanctioned, I also want it done in the right way. The IHSAA had to implement a strategy so that they don't get pressured by other sports to add sports just because. Bowling, men's volleyball, rugby, lacrosse, etc are all gaining popularity at the high school level and if you just add one sport you better have a plan to add others.

All valid questions. Would it be best if it was a spring or fall sport? Room use makes it very difficult to host two practices AND a middle school/youth practice. Very few schools have the opportunity to have multiple rooms.

I can only speak for Texas because a I went to college with girls that wrestled in Texas but when they started having girls wrestling they ran it with boys wrestling. Same head coach same meets and ran the state series together. Granted they only had about 6 weight classes I believe. This was in the mid 2000s though I can't speak for how they run it now. I would assume their coaching pool has grown to the point they could separate them now. Keep in mind wrestling was very new to Texas when they added girls wrestling. I believe they were the first state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.