Team State 2023

The first round of invitations for the 2022-23 Team State have been sent out and each team accepted their invitations. It's going to be another great tournament!

There will be an invitation late April for 1 team each class and 1 in season vote determined the week before Christmas. 

The following teams that have accepted:

4A 3A 2A 1A
Brownsburg East Central Bellmont Adams Central
Center Grove Floyd Central Delta Bluffton
Crown Point Hobart Garrett Cascade
Evansville Mater Dei Mishawaka Hamilton Heights Cowan
Indianapolis Cathedral New Haven Heritage Hills North Posey
Penn Roncalli Jay County Prairie Heights
    New Prairie Rochester Community
    Norwell Southmont
    Rensselaer Central Tell City
    Western West Central

Date is locked in for Jan 7th 2023. Still making decisions on locations. But the truth is that finding all one location centralized has been tricky. So that may be off the table currently. 

Best case scenario, 2 locations and 2 classes per state. But that's still being solved. We have been very lucky to have such great hosts the last 2 years and they could potentially be utilized again.

Is there an issue with having 4 locations - one for each class?  We have loved hosting 4A the past couple of years.  We would wrestle in a barn in the middle of the woods to compete at team state.  However, we feel the experience for wrestlers, teams, and fans has been significantly better with less teams/classes in one location.  Everyone can easily see all the mats….fans are kept upstairs with a great view In our case.  No long lines for concessions or bathrooms, etc. This is the overwhelming feedback we have gotten the last couple of years.  

Could we add 1A or 2A and run it same day as 4A Team State?  Maybe but that would be 10 mats instead of 4.  Would mean possibly different locations for wrestling…overcrowded floor, restrooms, and concessions.  

I don’t mean this to be rude or sarcastic, but what am I missing for the reasons to have 2 locations instead of 4?   Thanks to all who make this event happen!  Just wanted to share our perspective. 

Snyder

It’s not that it’s not possible. We’ve shown that the last few years we can spread out a little. 

The concern from people that I work with is asking for a “tournament director” for each site. Basically spreading ourselves too thin.

But that can also be solved by training someone ahead of time.

Also getting non-school provided supplies to 4 different locations provides a lot of coordinating. As well as setting up things like internet at 4 spots requires someone to go to multiple places. I know Pat Culp went multiple places last year to setup.

We have shown we have a great product and that we don’t need to do that all at one site. The introduction of streaming has really reduced a need for that.

Really the answer is I don’t want to spread thin the help that I have that makes this tournament great. But the last few years we have proved we can do more than we think. I just have not met with the people yet that would be involved in this decision.

Ratliff

Guess I am in the minority. I like to watch all classes. I preferred them all together like in Ft. Wayne. Could switch up and see whatever dual you wanted, any class. Could sit in spots to see many mats. One of the most enjoyable tournaments I have attended, even compared to the IHSAA state finals.  Understand the logistical challenges, just glad this tournament is still going on!  

Edited by RAJR
typos

15 hours ago, Darrick Snyder said:

Is there an issue with having 4 locations - one for each class?  We have loved hosting 4A the past couple of years.  We would wrestle in a barn in the middle of the woods to compete at team state.  However, we feel the experience for wrestlers, teams, and fans has been significantly better with less teams/classes in one location.  Everyone can easily see all the mats….fans are kept upstairs with a great view In our case.  No long lines for concessions or bathrooms, etc. This is the overwhelming feedback we have gotten the last couple of years.  

Could we add 1A or 2A and run it same day as 4A Team State?  Maybe but that would be 10 mats instead of 4.  Would mean possibly different locations for wrestling…overcrowded floor, restrooms, and concessions.  

I don’t mean this to be rude or sarcastic, but what am I missing for the reasons to have 2 locations instead of 4?   Thanks to all who make this event happen!  Just wanted to share our perspective. 

Snyder

Agree 100%, Martinsville was a great host for 1A and 2A but it was way too crowded.  Fans had no place to sit, 2A for the most part was in a different gym so you couldn't watch it any way.  Ideally have 4 host sites and be located in middle of the state to reduce travel time for all teams.  

There are 3 central schools that IMO have proved they can host big events. The 3A and 4A tournaments need much less for set up they are both only 4 mat tournaments compared to 6 mats with 2A and 1A. Avon, Warren Central, and Franklin Community have all shown through the ISWA events that they host that their athletic facilities can be used to host big wrestling tournaments. My only fear with all of these venues is you are using a Fieldhouse with not much seating which IMO was the only issue with Martinsville this year. 

Potentially you could use any 4 schools that can fit 4/6 mats on their main gym floor. Every class would be fully in the same gym. My only concern with this would be room on the floor for the teams to sit. Again for 3A and 4A this is a smaller issue we know we will have room for teams with only 4 mats down but with 6 mats you reduce space to pull out bleachers or have chairs for teams.

Just some of my thoughts. I know originally it was at Ball State and everything was spread out but I also think it was 3 classes then and all 3 classes were 12 teams. I can agree that the set up at Ft. Wayne was very cool. Like someone mentioned before being able to move seats and catch a whole different class was very cool. However I don't see us finding a host capable of that in Indiana besides Ft. Wayne and it seems like we will not be going back there.

Thank you to the people who have put in so much time in over the last 10 years to grow this tournament into what it is today!

Just another reason why the IHSAA needs to recognize it and not have it count against the dual amounts for scheduling & treat it like the individual tournament in that regard. You can then have the 4 finals all on the same day at the same location.  Have it spread out for other rounds.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

Having the championship match showcased at Brownsburg this past year made it very special IMHO.  While it does increase the amount of time for the event, I think it is well worth it.  If needed take out the "wrestleback" round and use that time to show case the finals.  Obviously this would make it necessary to have 4 different sites but I would guess that a lot of the participating programs would benefit from having an environment as close as possible to the IHSAA finals of wrestling in front of the entire crowd under the lights (provided the host has a spotlight).

I’ve seen a lot of comments about how team state needs to be in a major venue, but before when it was IHSAA it was at Center Grove.

It would be really cool to be at Hinkle Fieldhouse, but I think each class having its own location eliminates a lot of the problems that were experienced when it was in one venue.

Spotlighting the finals under the lights was definitely a very cool experience this year for 4A

Whiteland needs to get an at large bid to this 9 starting Seniors next season 

Buttler & Brooks both went to state. 6 of the made it to semi state. Grandinetti won Sectionals and then got concussed in practice and missed the regionals. While kids he beat went on to state. Warriors should be in a conversation for at large.(IMO)

4 hours ago, buttler73 said:

Buttler & Brooks both went to state. 6 of the made it to semi state. Grandinetti won Sectionals and then got concussed in practice and missed the regionals. While kids he beat went on to state. Warriors should be in a conversation for at large.(IMO)

Agreed, put the Warriors in the tournament. 

19 hours ago, blorek said:

Why do we not take same amount of schools in each class?

4A has only 33-35 schools, 3A has roughly 60 and 1A/2A roughly 90 schools each.

We proportion it so there are exactly 2/3 the number of schools in 3A overall as there are in each of 1A & 2A. Therefore, there are two thirds the number of Team State teams in 3A as in 1A and 2A.

Then 4A is its own animal, with most of the Top 10 overall best teams in the state found there--so we still send 8 despite the number of qualifiers being nearly 25% of the total number of 4A schools.

Edited by maligned

12 hours ago, Cooper160 said:

Agreed, put the Warriors in the tournament. 

17 hours ago, buttler73 said:

Welcome to the world of 4A, where you need virtually your whole team at SS and 7-10 ticket rounders and state qualifiers to get an automatic bid.

The Warriors are going to be the best they've been in many years, maybe ever, but it's cutthroat getting an auto bid or even scoring enough to be in the wildcard vote in 4A. Don't forget we choose the 8th team in December before Christmas after you've proven yourself for a few weeks. Anyone can prove then that they belong and get chosen.

23 hours ago, blorek said:

Why do we not take same amount of schools in each class?

Well... Maligned has already mentioned some of the reasons, but I can get into some of the info.

The 4th class was created honestly because the group from 1000-2000 was starting to really be under-represented. In the 3A class, other than MD, the representatives were all 2000+.

2A, was 1000 and under and 3A was basically 1100-5000 students. 

We as a committee thought it was important to keep the bottom of the class close to about half of the top of the class.

So currently they are roughly 4A: 2000-4000 (Carmel is the outlier at 5K); 3A: 1000-2000; 2A 500-1000; 1A: 250-500.

Like Maligned said, the percentage of 1, 2 and 3, teams that qualify are the same. 

There was talk of going down to 4 teams per class, giving 32 a bid. But a couple of things there. We didn't want to reduce the opportunity the smaller classes had to qualify, since 1A and 2A were 12 teams when there 3 classes. That would have only given 16 spots to the smaller schools. Given the big disparity there is in smaller teams and bigger teams at the individual state, some small schools really talked about what Team State did for their program. It gave them something to shoot for. 

That's kind of the longer explanation.