Cal College cutting wrestling.

ontherise219

Oh man that sucks.  They brought in a new coach a little over a year ago Tom Malony. He wanted to fix the culture of the program and increase recruitment of some solid “region” wrestlers.  Sounded like he was making some progress in that department but not much time was really given him to right the ship with this announcement.  Looks like I’ll be wearing my Crimson Wave wrestling shirt tomorrow in the programs honor. 

Edited by MattM

On 3/25/2022 at 7:49 PM, Ahawkeye said:

C'mon! Does college wrestling really cost that much?

Serious question.

It can't be anymore expensive as lacrosse.

College athletics is costly. Coaches salaries, travel, and athletic departments. Athletes have to attend study table and that requires tutors. Often athletics has their own (largely incompetent) academic advisors, and so on.  Athletics is supposed to operate as an auxiliary service - meaning it is self-sustaining and should not borrow from the endowment or the universities academic budget. Sadly, this is not always the case in practice. But for universities that operate under that assumption then if a program is non-revenue generating and revenue generating sports (i.e. Men's Football & Basketball) can't sustain the cost of the other programs then they will get the axe. 

I can tell you from first hand experience its probably less expensive than Lacrosse but the wealth that surrounds Lacrosse families is on average larger than that of the average wrestling family. A lot of alumni/family donations are involved in maintaining Lacrosse. 

Edited by SunDevils

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.