Jesse Medez true Freshman or red shirt freshman

I have always been a fan of redshirting freshman whenever possible in order to help the athlete acclimate to college life (academically and socially) get their bodies physically ready for the grind, and ensure they have the best four years of competition in front of them.  That pretty much why they used to make freshman ineligible for competition back in the day.  Is Jesse ready to compete against solid DI competition I believe so. Would he have a better shot at his best 4 NCAA results after a redshirt, I also believe so.   But Ryan and OSU is going to game plan what is needed to put their best NCAA team together in order to make a championship run over the next several years.  That will mean slowing Jesse into the line up when he can be the best help  to make at least one of those team runs successful. 

tOSU already has Dylan D’Emelio at 141, I don’t know if Jesse would be significantly better off the bat(I would take him in a wrestle-off, but probably with a close enough score that redshirting still makes sense). 

As a diehard Buckeye fan, I think next year should rely on if both Ethan Smith and Kaleb Romero return for their senior+ seasons. If they do, I think it would be foolish of Ohio State not to run out their best lineup, regardless of if they’re freshman or not. If even one of those two moves on though, redshirt them all and focus on gold a year or two later.

The easy way to decide is to have him wrestle in open tournaments early in the year to maintain redshirt status.  A final decision can be made before the Big Ten season starts in January.  That gets him matches without committing and allows them to see how he would fit in to the team picture.  If they pull his shirt in January, his record to that point will still count  

3 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

The easy way to decide is to have him wrestle in open tournaments early in the year to maintain redshirt status.  A final decision can be made before the Big Ten season starts in January.  That gets him matches without committing and allows them to see how he would fit in to the team picture.  If they pull his shirt in January, his record to that point will still count  

Ageeed.  But if they have a potential AA available already and could keep him in pocket for multiple AA runs in the future they may keep the redshirt going.  He could be the best guy for the job one year, but Ryan still keep him shirted due to being the best guy for a team title run a different title run another year.  That’s some advance mathematics that sometimes works out right.  There must be a  additional coach who has the master degree in that type of fancy math.  

9 hours ago, MattM said:

Ageeed.  But if they have a potential AA available already and could keep him in pocket for multiple AA runs in the future they may keep the redshirt going.  He could be the best guy for the job one year, but Ryan still keep him shirted due to being the best guy for a team title run a different title run another year.  That’s some advance mathematics that sometimes works out right.  There must be a  additional coach who has the master degree in that type of fancy math.  

Absolutely!  Which is why you keep the shirt on for as long as possible to make the final call. It's more than just about whether Jesse is OSU's best 141 lb'er next year.  I certainly don't see a Team Title run as a possibility for OSU next year either.  My guess is he redshirts as you're sayjng.

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Absolutely!  Which is why you keep the shirt on for as long as possible to make the final call. It's more than just about whether Jesse is OSU's best 141 lb'er next year.  I certainly don't see a Team Title run as a possibility for OSU next year either.  My guess is he redshirts as you're sayjng.

Are you sure 141 is the weight he is going at ? 

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I still think he’s going 133. And if he’s there, it’s gonna be real tough to win a title with Fix and maybe RBY. 

I hope they RS him and he gets to develop and acclimate to the college scene.. He's obviously proven that he can beat high level college guys in the past but I think it's crucial for letting develop his strength and overall get comfortable being in a Land of grown men coming in as a young phenom...If he RS And Ends up 133, he'll be an instant contender, especially with RBY and Fix gone.

I hope they keep the Jesses recruiting class together with this being the first time 1 school has gotten #1-3  ranked recruits in one class with Mendez, Bouzakis and Feldman.. Then add top 50 recruits Shumante,Goeg and Brown and it's going to get really interesting in a few years IMHO..

Jesse will have to get bigger to have a chance at 141.  We just saw a much more seasoned wrestler in Micic try to go up and wrestle 141 and failed to AA.  Jesse just lost to a fantastic wrestler who is a bit bigger than him.  If the plan is for him to go 141, then he needs to redshirt and grow into the weight.

I think Ryan will shirt all incoming freshmen. A little risky throwing them to the wolves. Wrestle unattached and Analyze as the season progresses. You can get a better feel for these young guys. And how they take to thrones environment. 

From what I am hearing the entire lineup up is coming back next year.  I have also heard that they want to go with Jesse and Nic right away, but that was when they thought Jesse would be a full sized 141.  Jesse is closer to 133 then 141, so I think the summer will dictate next year.  The plan for Jesse this summer is Senior open and Junior Trails at 61 kilos(134.5).  Either way we will see a Mendez/Bouzakis back to back in some form.

Jesse can not wait to get to Columbus to start training.  GO BUCKS

9 hours ago, Disco said:

Hopefully O state can step in and give Iowa and Pennsylvania state a run for their money like Michigan did this year. 

125 - Malik Heinselman (Sr+) (4x national qualifier)

133/141 - Jesse + Nic Bouzakis

149 - Sammy Sasso (Sr) (“3rd” in 2020, 2nd in 2021, & 5th)

157 - Paddy Gallagher (Fr) (#1 Flo P4P Class of 2021)

165 - Carson Kharchla (So/Jr depending on potential medical redshirt) (7th)

174 - Ethan Smith (Sr+) (4x national qualifier, 5th in 2021)

184 -Kaleb Romero (Sr+) (3x national qualifier, “6th” in 2020, & 7th)

197 - Gavin Hoffman (Sr) (6th)

285 - Nick Feldman (Fr)

That lineup competes with any team not named Penn State imo.

6 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

125 - Malik Heinselman (Sr+) (4x national qualifier)

133/141 - Jesse + Nic Bouzakis

149 - Sammy Sasso (Sr) (“3rd” in 2020, 2nd in 2021, & 5th)

157 - Paddy Gallagher (Fr) (#1 Flo P4P Class of 2021)

165 - Carson Kharchla (So/Jr depending on potential medical redshirt) (7th)

174 - Ethan Smith (Sr+) (4x national qualifier, 5th in 2021)

184 -Kaleb Romero (Sr+) (3x national qualifier, “6th” in 2020, & 7th)

197 - Gavin Hoffman (Sr) (6th)

285 - Nick Feldman (Fr)

That lineup competes with any team not named Penn State imo.

It is going to be fun to watch how it plays out over the next few years. 

Every collage coach during visits…. “If he wants to he can wrestle right away!”

when they get there….. “we are gonna to redshirt at first and see how the chips fall” 

I think that they will start off redshirt… once Jesse starts to do Jesse things they will pull it. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.