I think he's pretty old.

blueandgold

Burroughs asked on Twitter who the oldest person was competing in the NCAA tournament, and many people said Logan Massa, but it has to be Micic right? He's been in college for eight years.

2014-15: Freshman

2015-16: Redshirt Freshman

2016-17: Redshirt Freshman

2017-18: Redshirt Sophomore

2018-19: Redshirt Junior

2019-20: Redshirt Junior

2019-20: Redshirt Senior

2020-21: Redshirt Senior

I know that it's NAIA but I stumbled across Dylan Reel on Ottawa University's roster this year.  He is listed as a junior and he was listed as a freshman on Minnesota's roster back in 2012-13.  MMA bio list him as being born 12-10-93 which makes him 28.  I remember Tyler Willis wrestling him at middle school nationals in Danville, Illinois

Yeah, Micic is the oldest, at least by # of years. Not sure about age.  

At one point this weekend, ESPN had a graphic showing Micic as a 7th year guy.   Another graphic later (I think it was a different graphic) showed Nick Lee as a 6th year guy.  No need for accuracy!

In the past we had had some military  and religious missionary deferments which have allows a few wrestlers to end up as old or even a little older than Micic when they reached their final year of eligibility.  . But as far as going straight through from Hs with just the more common Olympic and redshirt years Micic is pretty much as old as you can get. He also fell into some unique situations with the NW transfer year not counted against him which helped him get to that second Olympic redshirt season followed by the Covid year.    

Just now, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Rumor has it that deondre Wilson is back in college at Manchester university this upcoming year. Now I don’t know how credible this rumor is, but if this is true I think he will be a 26 or 27 year old with a few years of eligibility left

The lower divisions lacks of a eligibility clock does allow for some older wrestlers to still give it a go.  A few years back a father and son were on the same college team.   A retired NBA player is currently playing college golf.  

1 hour ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Rumor has it that deondre Wilson is back in college at Manchester university this upcoming year. Now I don’t know how credible this rumor is, but if this is true I think he will be a 26 or 27 year old with a few years of eligibility left

Don’t know if it’s official, but he did tweet out an offer and a picture from a visit. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Don’t know if it’s official, but he did tweet out an offer and a picture from a visit. 

Deondre is such an amazing athlete and such an awesome wrestler. I believe he started wrestling his freshman year. Then did one year of JUCO, not sure the result of that but went on to compete in the national circuit where if I am not mistaken, he scored a takedown on Jordan Oliver! 

If he does go back to college you can expect him to earn All American status and be in the hunt for a national championship. He never stopped wrestling!!! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.