CONCEPT: IHSAA Wrestling Championships - Regional Realignment + Qualifying Procedures

blueandgold

I was bored once again and put together a concept based on the current NCAA Division I tournament format. Not saying this is how it should be, just an idea.

IHSAA Wrestling Championships

February 17-18, 2023

Gainbridge Fieldhouse

Indianapolis, Indiana

Qualification

·      Ten regional sites with different qualifier allocations based on the weight score of the regional. A stronger regional earns more qualifiers while a weaker one has less.

·      32 wrestlers will qualify in total, doubling the original state field with the elimination of the sectional and semi-state championship tournament stages.

Regions

·      Northwest

·      Northern

·      Northeast

·      Mid-Northern

·      Mideast

·      Central

·      Mid-South

·      Southwest

·      Southern

·      Southeast

Northwest Regional

·      Notable Schools: Calumet, Chesterton, Crown Point, Griffith, Lake Central, Merrillville Munster, Portage

·      Weight Score: 9 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 6 out of 32

Northern

·      Notable Schools: Bremen, Culver, Mishawaka, Mishawaka Marian, Northridge, Penn, South Bend Clay, South Bend Riley, South Bend Washington, Warsaw

·      Weight Score: 5 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 3 out of 32

Northeast

·      Notable Schools: Adams Central, Bellmont, Carroll, Churubusco, Columbia City, East Noble, Fort Wayne Snider, Garrett, New Haven, Prairie Heights, South Adams

·      Weight Score: 6 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 3 out of 32

Mid-Northern

·      Notable Schools: Frankfort, Harrison (West Lafayette), Lafayette Jefferson, Lebanon, McCutcheon, North Montgomery, Rochester, Twin Lakes, West Lafayette, Winamac, Zionsville

·      Weight Score: 3 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 1 out of 32

Mideast

·      Notable Schools: Delta, Hamilton Heights, Kokomo, Monroe Central, Muncie Central, New Castle, Richmond, Tipton, Western, Winchester, Yorktown

·      Weight Score: 5 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 2 out of 32

Central

·      Notable Schools: Avon, Beech Grove, Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Carmel, Cathedral, Franklin Central, Lawrence North, Perry Meridian, Roncalli, Warren Central, Westfield

·      Weight Score: 10 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 7 out of 32

Mid-South

·      Notable Schools: Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Center Grove, Columbus East, Edgewood, Franklin Community, Indian Creek, Martinsville, Mooresville

·      Weight Score: 8 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 4 out of 32

Southwest

·      Notable Schools: Castle, Evansville Central, Evansville F.J. Reitz, Evansville Mater Dei, Evansville Reitz Memorial

·      Weight Score: 8 out of 10

·      Qualifier Allocations: 4 out of 32

Southern

·      Notable Schools: Bedford North Lawrence, Corydon Central, Jeffersonville, Madison Consolidated, Seymour

·      Weight Score: 1 out of 10

Southeast

·      Notable Schools: Connersville, East Central, Lawrenceburg, Milan, New Albany, South Dearborn, Union County

·      Weight Score: 2 out of 10

Edited by blueandgold

28 minutes ago, TeamInjuryTime07 said:

Same, Curious on the criteria of "Notable" 

No set criteria on being “notable.” It was just the schools I thought of in that area that people would recognize. Failed to mention Bellmont, but they would obviously be participating. Just slipped my mind.

He just threw an idea out there as something to think about and maybe comment on.  He obviously doesn’t have all the details fleshed out. Forgetting a team or two on a quickly drawn up  proposal doesn’t seem like a big deal, but I think pointing out lapses would be welcome.  I don’t think he meant to offend anyone.   Feel free to add some possible meat  on the bones if you care to.

This blueandgold guy keeps throwing out topics to think about and possibly comment on during a time when the board is mostly dead except for RTC announcements and the like.  At least he’s trying to keep the comment board active.

8 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

Is Bellmont not notable or not required to participate in these and everyone automatically qualifies?

At least he didn't call stalling.  Out of curiosity, is the elderly heckler still giving it to you all at events?  He ended up next to me and a student at semistate about a decade ago and I never have seen anyone like it in person.

1 hour ago, busstogate said:

At least he didn't call stalling.  Out of curiosity, is the elderly heckler still giving it to you all at events?  He ended up next to me and a student at semistate about a decade ago and I never have seen anyone like it in person.

Michael Buble What GIF by bubly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.