4th at SS, wrestling on Saturday night

Gasman

How many guys have taken 4th at SS then go on to wrestle for the championship the following weekend? I know it’s rare but I’m curious how rare it is.

edit- how about if we remove the med forfeit criteria and only count the guys who actually wrestled and lost both matches in semi state, then came back to win or take second in state the following week. 

Edited by Gasman

Danny Williams and Jake O'Brien both did it.. Danny Williams was nursing an ankle injury, he pulled out a nail biter in the ticket round to Eastern Hancock's Joe Levering(unfortunately was killed in a crash few years later) in an instant classic.. Then was pinned by my team mate and dear friend,T Coatie(beat both the champ and runner up Conkling that year but was beat by Bellmont 3rd placer Tim Ortiz who fell 5-3 to Williams in the semis) and back then they didn't wrestle back to 5th so Coatie placed 7th) and Injury Def the 3rd place match at MC Semi state.. Setting up a Unreal OT win in Friday night match vs Justin Mora who went on to be the state Runner up The following year, after this horrific draw vs the defending state champ Williams who went 3rd,1st,1st... And went on to wrestle in the big 10 for the

Minnesota Gophers.

Jake O'Brien was also not 100% and was the 2x defending 215 state champ and 2 x FA All American who qualified for state and chose to Inj Def to 4th ensuring a horrible draw for an unlucky Semi state Champ.. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

3 minutes ago, dave cloud said:

Super Danny Williams and the Big Flash Jake O'Brien. Danny was recuperating from a broken ankle (amazing) and had the flu on the day of Semi-State. Jake was recovering from Mono, I think. Can you imagine winning your Semi-State and you draw one of those guys?

I posted exact thing up above😂

You're exactly right, could you imagine winning a semi state title and thinking"At least I won't draw the defending champ my first couple Matches and should have a great draw" and BOOOOOM you're bestowed with 2 all time greats.

27 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I posted exact thing up above😂

You're exactly right, could you imagine winning a semi state title and thinking"At least I won't draw the defending champ my first couple Matches and should have a great draw" and BOOOOOM you're bestowed with 2 all time greats.

Think we were typing at the same time! Hope you are doing well!

It fits the criteria but I would take out anyone who Med. FF at SS to 4th place if you really want a true answer.   There are a good bag of examples of top ranked wrestlers who ended up stopping for the day after the ticket round to help heal up more before state.  Several of which ended of placing after eliminating a SS#1 and a few won state.   Sure it make for a interesting first round match, but it also end up eliminating one of the other top guys before they even have a shot at a placement.  

Edited by MattM

Back in the 80s, Ray Ashley of Adams Central finished fourth at the FW SS. He came to visit me on the following Monday morning prior to school and he apologized that he didn’t do as well as he intended on Saturday. He promised he would do better at the State. On Friday night he beat a SS champ, won his Saturday morning match and then defeated another SS champ in the semifinals. Under the lights at MSA, he tossed a young man from Merrillville on his back but unfortunately he landed what then was out of bounds and later lost the match. He finished fourth at the SS because on that day he was not the better wrestler but he really got it going the following week.

4 hours ago, dave cloud said:

Think we were typing at the same time! Hope you are doing well!

Yessir, can't complain, same to you as well coach! O'Brien and Nate Moore is very underrated when ppl bring up all time greats IMHO that's happens though, when you have Paris, Allred, and Carroll level athletes.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Joe Garland from Rushville.  Finished 4th at New Castle and went all the way to the Finals the next week.  Wesley Bernard from Cathedral won Semi-State over Donte Winfield form Perry Meridian.  Joe lost to Dakota Ramey from North Montgomery in the 3/4 match.  The next week Joe was in the finals after beating Oglesby from Ben Davis, Bartoszek from Hanover Central and Bernard from Cathedral.  That set up a match with Winfield in the finals which he lost.  NC went 1,2,3 at the state that year.

What a fun state run that was!!

2 hours ago, CoachLionheart said:

Joe Garland from Rushville.  Finished 4th at New Castle and went all the way to the Finals the next week.  Wesley Bernard from Cathedral won Semi-State over Donte Winfield form Perry Meridian.  Joe lost to Dakota Ramey from North Montgomery in the 3/4 match.  The next week Joe was in the finals after beating Oglesby from Ben Davis, Bartoszek from Hanover Central and Bernard from Cathedral.  That set up a match with Winfield in the finals which he lost.  NC went 1,2,3 at the state that year.

What a fun state run that was!!

I remember that like it was yesterday. oglesby was a stud that got runner up year after Garland upset him losing to Bernard in the finals 5-2.. Going into his senior season he was ranked top 10 in the country and was upset in the semis by the behemoth of a specimen aka Richmond heavyweight Nate Trawick, who commenced to derailing the Finals showdown with 2 nationally ranked HWs with Oglesby and Streck.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

38 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I remember that like it was yesterday. oglesby was a stud that got runner up year after Garland upset him losing to Bernard in the finals 5-2.. Going into his senior season he was ranked top 10 in the country and was upset in the semis by the behemoth of a specimen aka Richmond heavyweight Nate Trawick, who commenced to derailing the Finals showdown with 2 nationally ranked HWs with Oglesby and Streck.

Trawick was ranked #19 in the country that season, and as noted Shawn and Oglesby were ranked top ten. From what I’ve been told, Trawick and I had one of the best heavyweight ticket round matches in NC. He was a stud and from what I saw on film: Fireworks.

Edited by blueandgold

4 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Trawick was ranked #19 in the country that season, and as noted Shawn and Oglesby were ranked top ten. From what I’ve been told, Trawick and I had one of the best heavyweight ticket round matches in NC. He was a stud and from what I saw on film: Fireworks.

Ridle? If so I was there and it was🔥🔥

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.