Awesome to see... happening now

As most of us on here know Indiana wrestling is on the rise... but this is really cool. Maybe our best year as a state ever?!?!?

Naia--- Indiana tech finished 4th in the country with 2 national champs (coached by Indiana natives)

D3 --- Wabash is currently tied for 1st!! With guys in the finals

D2 --- Uindy currently in 6th with 2 in the finals. Still in the hunt for a team trophy. (Also coached by indiana natives)

Really neat to see our In-State teams have such success.

17 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

As good as the lower divisions are, our two D1 programs continue to struggle, especially IU with only 2 NCAA qualifiers.

We have a quagmire at the D1 schools. 

53 minutes ago, HuskiePride said:

Purdue has been a top 20 team nearly the entire season. 😉

Oh, they are in much better shape than IU.  That's for sure.  My point was that we aren't seeing the same success at the D1 level that we are at the lower levels.  Purdue might get a couple of guys on the podium, or they might not.  I don't see them with any locks for AA.

2 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Oh, they are in much better shape than IU.  That's for sure.  My point was that we aren't seeing the same success at the D1 level that we are at the lower levels.  Purdue might get a couple of guys on the podium, or they might not.  I don't see them with any locks for AA.

I say Purdue will have 2 AA. I would also like to point out the number of AA at the D-1 level that wrestled high school in Indiana. So even if you think Purdue and IU are struggling, I feel Indiana is well represented on the national stage at the D1 level.

5 minutes ago, Rugger44 said:

I say Purdue will have 2 AA. I would also like to point out the number of AA at the D-1 level that wrestled high school in Indiana. So even if you think Purdue and IU are struggling, I feel Indiana is well represented on the national stage at the D1 level.

Agreed.  The state is putting out studs.  No question.  The problem is that those studs aren't staying home and our D1 schools are paying a price in that they aren't seeing success in terms of AA and NC's.

And I certainly don't fault the kids for leaving the state.  In most cases it is a no brainer.  If PSU, tOSU, Iowa or Michigan come calling then IU and Purdue are likely not going to get those kids.  So that leaves developing the kids that they get that are a tier or two lower.  And specifically at IU I don't think that has happened yet.

17 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

And I certainly don't fault the kids for leaving the state.  In most cases it is a no brainer.  If PSU, tOSU, Iowa or Michigan come calling then IU and Purdue are likely not going to get those kids.  So that leaves developing the kids that they get that are a tier or two lower.  And specifically at IU I don't think that has happened yet.

Purdue has a great track record of developing those lower tier kids, wish the blue chippers would give them a shot. Purdue turned guys like Dylan Lydy and Tommy Penola into AA threats, would love to see what they could do with a Seltzer or Mendez. Heck, they even had Hayden Lohrey winning multiple Big Ten matches and in position to get to nationals, a kid who placed 8th at state once!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Purdue has a great track record of developing those lower tier kids, wish the blue chippers would give them a shot. Purdue turned guys like Dylan Lydy and Tommy Penola into AA threats, would love to see what they could do with a Seltzer or Mendez. Heck, they even had Hayden Lohrey winning multiple Big Ten matches and in position to get to nationals, a kid who placed 8th at state once!

It would be nice to see our blue chippers go to Purdue.. Those 2 you named are big men(historically the upper weights aren't as deep as the lower with obviously there not being near as many big men let alone withbig ten pedigree) and were late bloomers with their success HS success will both only going to state once.. They were more raw and hadn't been in the sport most their lives like many of our blue chippers had...

I remember Penola wasn't even ranked his Jr season and was coming off a modest 24-13 sophmore campaign.. Then out of no where he went on a all time Great run at the Al Smith beating 4 Ranked studs who all were all State Qualifers/Placers who has 10 state finals appearances and nearly a half dozen state medals between the 4 studs he beat for the Al Smith crown...He beat Eventual state runner-up Jordan Rader who had 3 state finals appearances, beat 3x SQ/4th placer Swank,  then beat one of the best to not win a state title in recent years Zack Fattore(was winning handily before losing on a controversial Defensive pin in the semis vs Rader in the Semis coming off a pin and tech going into the final 4) who had placed 4th and 3rd.. Also beat Tavonte Malone who was a 2x State qualifer and always highly ranked.

Making the biggest jump in the rankings ever, going from unranked to ranked 3rd...He ended Up losing in a heart breaker to eventual 7th placer Jake Ruberg (who Allred has beaten multiple times that year)in the ticket round before Penola went on to place 3rd his senior season where he was a OT loss to State champ Lucas Davison away from being in the finals and more than likely the 2ns best 95 pounder that year.

As you know, you hardly ever see a a wrestler place once in HS and then go on to have a successful career in the Big Ten like Penola and Lydy.

Lydy also was a rare case with him winning a state title in his only trip to the big show.. He had a great Freestyle pedigree that he developed in HS and was a multiple time All American as well in HS as well, but was the opitome of what relentless work ethic in a Room like Purdue's and he became one of the best in the country and now helps youth wrestlers become the best they can be and a great role model to that kids..

All I'm saying is I don't know if those guys being so wrong the very noticeable growth at that next level being in a Big Ten room. I'd be intrigued to see how blue chippers like Mendez,Allred,Parris etc all would have turned out at Purdue.. I'm not saying those big guys only succeeded a Purdue because they were just scratching the surface on the talent but I'm saying I don't know if we would see as big a jump in the technical department as the more raw big men listed above.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.