Somebody Please Explain

blueandgold

2 hours ago, blueandgold said:

How were Griffith and New Castle wrestling 60+ matches in one season?

Diff rules bk then .Wrestling 5 matches every Saturday, we Attended few 2 day Tourneys that you get 7-10 matches a weekend and Peck loved to get us as many matches as possible and wanted us seasoned for tourney time...Back then we also had good numbers every year with HOFer Sparky Griffiths pipeline, so that even our JV was tough and we would let them get 10-15 varsity matches in place of us Decent guys.

Matt Jaggers  (210-12) or Mac Taylor(Mac held HS national Win record at one time  221-8, between him and Jaggers that have 8 state appeances 7 medals between them) Guys like them made deep runs every year and had too wrestle the matches they did get, any mat time was crucial cuz they were being ducked a lot.. 

I seen so many teams FF to Jaggers not only cuz he was nearly automatic bonus points, it was his ruthless style being so Relentless and mean, that guys wouldn't want to get their head snapped down off the mat again and teched like he done to them inthe past..

So They had to get the matches they could,  and it got so bad jaggers senior year he went up from 125 to 135 to get tested in the form of multiple time placer/qualifier Brandon Gonzales of Delta who took 6th at 35 that same season.. Jaggers only beat Gonzo by a point , which is exactly how every match they had growing up ended  !@NavyGonzo  it's still the man though😂

I obviously wasn't on that level, most matches I got in a year was 47 my senior year and around 150 total, which is still plenty..I didn't make deep runs either being a  few times over a ticket round choke artist so I didn't get to the 50s like many of my peers at New castle did.

Jaggers vs Escobedo actually is the most combined wins going into the finals with 56-0 Jaggers and Angel 61-0... Matt was 50 something a 0 going into state his junior year as well..

With today's rules coach Peckinpaugh wouldn't have been able to break the national record for Dual meet wins by a coach with him running a staggering 1003 dual meets in his career with a pair of State runner up team finishes among countless other accolades.. There isn't hardly a dozen schools with 1000 wins in their school history let alone 1 coach...

I know all those guys from New Castle are proud of being top 10 career wins in state history, but they would much rather have a state title and team state titles... That was the longest answer ever, Ruth this being a very loaded question, I rambled a answer lol

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

I was always envious of those 2-day tournaments. At Delta (2001 - 2004), I think we only had four, six team dual meets @ 5 matches per. The rest of our matches consisted of single dual meets, county, and conference... 

I think the most matches we ever had going into sectional was 31, which seems to be about the state average.

At MD in 95 I got beat in the first round of semistate and had about 30 matches. We got snowed out for Indiana's best and I missed a few matches early so if a guy went to state and won 1st round I'd say he'd have about 40 matches in. We did a lot of tripple and quad duals and a couple tournaments.

18 points 

1 point for a single dual

2 points for any event with 3+ teams

You could basically do 9 events with 5 matches each to get 45 matches. Sectional would add 3, regional would add 3, semi-state(if regional champ) 3, then state 4. That is 58 matches. Lastly you could add in team regional 2 matches, team semi-state 1 match, and then team state with up to 3 matches. So if they went to team state that's 62.

That doesn't even include the potential 10 way super dual that would add 5 matches to the total.

I like to refer to this era as the juiced match era as we won't see these types of numbers again with the current rules in place.

5 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

At MD in 95 I got beat in the first round of semistate and had about 30 matches. We got snowed out for Indiana's best and I missed a few matches early so if a guy went to state and won 1st round I'd say he'd have about 40 matches in. We did a lot of tripple and quad duals and a couple tournaments.

At MD in '91 I finished with 27 matches (got beat in regional after breaking my hand in the sectional semis).  in '92 I finished with 39 matches, wrestling on Saturday at state.  And we wrestled every weekend from the first of December through State.  Throw in a mid-week dual in the SIAC and that was plenty of matches.  Couldn't imagine wrestling 60 matches in a season.  Tough to find that many quality matches, so there may have been some stat padding back when guys were getting 50-60 matches in a year.

20 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

At MD in '91 I finished with 27 matches (got beat in regional after breaking my hand in the sectional semis).  in '92 I finished with 39 matches, wrestling on Saturday at state.  And we wrestled every weekend from the first of December through State.  Throw in a mid-week dual in the SIAC and that was plenty of matches.  Couldn't imagine wrestling 60 matches in a season.  Tough to find that many quality matches, so there may have been some stat padding back when guys were getting 50-60 matches in a year.

I agree completely, with that many matches it would be difficult to get quality opponents.

Showing my age …

When I wrestled we were allowed 12 dual meets plus 2 Saturday tournaments (county and conference in our case). That was just a bit before the advent of multi-team duals.  My cousin wrestled just a few years before me and I think he had 10 duals and no tournaments before sectionals. 

My how things have changed.  😀

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.