Jump to content

NCAA Division I Nationals (Brackets Released!) Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

I did not see what happened, but Chad Red lost by fall to Grant Willits in the blood round.  Chad was ahead 3-2 after the first period and took down.  I looked away following the RBY - Desanto match and it was over.  Never saw the fall.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Micic is done as he lost in SV-1 10-4


Was just about to post that.  I completely missed his match so not sure how it happened.  Obviously a takedown to his back to get to 10-4, but missed seeing it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disappointing day for Purdue.  Another year without an All-American for Ersland.  Has Ersland ever had an AA at Purdue?  He puts some competitive dual teams up, but, just can't break through the ceiling.  He's recruited some good talent, but where's that Ipwa tourney magic that he experienced under Gable?  Hope he finds that someday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Davison gets a 2-1 win over Christian Lance
Mason Parris wins 11-5 over Tony Cassioppi.  

On to the consolation semifinals in the morning!  
- Parris will face Greg Kerkvliet
- Davison will face Jordan Wood of Lehigh

Edited by SWINfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a match of the big fellas in Schultz and Wood. Crazy ending to a solid match. 
 

And what a class act Gable is. Shows respect to all and can’t wait to see how he ends his illustrious college career. Said he’s  going to put on a show. And then to show the utmost respect, I believe I heard he’s laying the shoes in the middle of the mat afterwards. Can’t wait. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always found it interesting that when an NCAA wrestler gives an interview he is usually bleeding and or bruised. When you look at NCAA basketball players that give interviews they usually don't have a scratch on them. Nick Lee's interview after Semifinals was a good example, I remember Andrew Howe being beat up pretty good after one of his matches and talking about tempo and wrestling his match. Basketball players get fouled a few times and call it a "physical game" 😂. You have to love this sport!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

I have always found it interesting that when an NCAA wrestler gives an interview he is usually bleeding and or bruised. When you look at NCAA basketball players that give interviews they usually don't have a scratch on them. Nick Lee's interview after Semifinals was a good example, I remember Andrew Howe being beat up pretty good after one of his matches and talking about tempo and wrestling his match. Basketball players get fouled a few times and call it a "physical game" 😂. You have to love this sport!

You don't play wrestling!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry that I am so late to the conversation, but I have to stay away from here until after I am able to watch the action. DVR's are great but it does mean I have to avoid this site until I have caught up with the action.

 

The stall call on Red against Rivera is very unfortunate. I truly dislike that call in general. College wrestling is not Free-Style. Why is merely pushing your opponent off the mat rewarded? It is my understanding that if you simply push your opponent off the mat it is stalling against the pusher. There is a difference between a wrestler fleeing the mat to avoid a takedown attempt & simply getting pushed out.

 

Another beef I have with the push out stall call... When starting from the down position & the bottom wrestler stands up, why is the top man not called for stalling when they simply ride them out of bounds instead of attempting to return them to the mat?

 

But my biggest beef with the push out stall call is how inconsistent it is from official to official. The biggest majority of officials would not have awarded Rivera that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Disappointing day for Purdue.  Another year without an All-American for Ersland.  Has Ersland ever had an AA at Purdue?  He puts some competitive dual teams up, but, just can't break through the ceiling.  He's recruited some good talent, but where's that Ipwa tourney magic that he experienced under Gable?  Hope he finds that someday.


bingo Wrestling  Scholar - no AA on the mat since 2013. The COVID may have given him more time; guys were awarded NWSCA AA based on seed. Have Concerns about a few guys go have regressed.


I liked the addition of Shopp and  Vega but they need another big guy animal assistant.
 
 

penola got jobbed - they challenged the wrong takedown - he was up 8-2 when there was takedown at edge of mat, but it was clear they were out of bounds and there was no challenge - the dam broke after that. 
 

concerned about Kendall Coleman - looks hurt 

 

this year AA’s in Big Ten 

Illinois - 1

Iowa - 5

Michigan - 6

Minnesota - 3

Nebraska - 5

Northwestern - 4

Ohio State - 4

Penn State - 6

Rutgers - 2

Wisconsin - 3

Indiana - 0

Maryland - 0

Michigan State - 0

Purdue - 0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

Sorry that I am so late to the conversation, but I have to stay away from here until after I am able to watch the action. DVR's are great but it does mean I have to avoid this site until I have caught up with the action.

 

The stall call on Red against Rivera is very unfortunate. I truly dislike that call in general. College wrestling is not Free-Style. Why is merely pushing your opponent off the mat rewarded? It is my understanding that if you simply push your opponent off the mat it is stalling against the pusher. There is a difference between a wrestler fleeing the mat to avoid a takedown attempt & simply getting pushed out.

 

Another beef I have with the push out stall call... When starting from the down position & the bottom wrestler stands up, why is the top man not called for stalling when they simply ride them out of bounds instead of attempting to return them to the mat?

 

But my biggest beef with the push out stall call is how inconsistent it is from official to official. The biggest majority of officials would not have awarded Rivera that point.


I agree with the inconsistency.  I didn't see Red's match and only caught the last seconds as they were going out of bounds.  It didn't seem to warrant a stalling call to me and the inconsistency sucks.  I am not a rules expert, but as I understand it, that stalling call is very subjective.  The wrestler in control can't just push them out without attempting to score but the other wrestler has to try to circle back in and not just be pushed out.  I can see the logic behind calling wrestling for stalling as he didn't try to stay in, but I just can't see that being a call you make in that moment.  I don't think it would have been called if Chad hadn't already been hit for stalling not long before.  But sometimes as an official you have to swallow your whistle somewhat and allow the moment and the athletes to decide the outcome.  It's a fine line because you could argue is it fair to the other wrestler if you don't call something you might call at a different point of the match.  That's why, no matter how people want to argue the rules and be pseudo experts, officiating requires a feel as well as knowledge and mechanics.  

I do want to go back to watch the whole match though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

Some good, tough matches this morning.   The Peyton Robb - Jacori Teemer match echoed what AHawkeye and FCFighter said earlier, but in a slightly different way.  Both buys were completely spent at the end.  See the short video of the end of the match.  Definitely worth a quick look!

Leaving it all on the Mat - Twitter

 

 

Edited by SWINfan
added tweet with video
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first thought on Chad Red is why is everyone so surprised. He was 15-8 coming in. He’s just not one of the elites at this stage of his career. Seems like every time he gets beat it’s either he’s hurt, he’s sick, or he got screwed🤷‍♂️ I know this won’t be a popular post to most people on here, but the truth hurts sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, UncleJimmy said:

I like Cormier on the call but gibbons seems to not say anything and I like what he brings to the commentary.

Because Cormier can’t shut up. I’d rather see Jordan Burroughs who is more measured and thoughtful  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Justafan74 said:

My first thought on Chad Red is why is everyone so surprised. He was 15-8 coming in. He’s just not one of the elites at this stage of his career. Seems like every time he gets beat it’s either he’s hurt, he’s sick, or he got screwed🤷‍♂️ I know this won’t be a popular post to most people on here, but the truth hurts sometimes. 


141 & 133 are deep every year, probably the deepest weights every year. that’s why.
 

There are rarely easy matches in the Big Ten. On top of that, 15-8 in the Big Ten with Lee, Lee, Eireman, Bergland (AA), Micic, Rivera, Filius, (probably 20 All-Americans right there), and figure in you can see  those guys 3-4 times every year at duals, Cliff Keen, Big Tens, and NCAA’s. That is unbelievably brutal.  
 

cripes, there are no slump-busters…

Edited by Butt Drag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.