NCAA Division I Nationals (Brackets Released!) Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Nick Lee is your FIRST 2-time National Champion from Indiana!  

I believe Nick is the 2nd, though first two timer in wrestlings modern era.  

Charley McDaniels won its twice at HWT for IU in the 30s, with a runner-up appearance in between.  He was from Bloomington HS.  

After some more research it looks like he also anchored the football program during that time.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/bfc/view?docId=B34-1973

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, 1prouddad said:

Crowd of 100,000 erupts as Lee and Clarke get in a nice scramble. 

Clarke had 1st takedown and after that, it was Nick Lee show after that heading into 3rd period. 
lee up 7-2 with massive riding time 

Correction: 35,000

the 100k was a 3 day total. 

Awesome night in Detroit in front of 18k+ fans!

- Penn State goes 5-5, including repeat Titles from RBY, Lee, Starocci and Brooks.  
- Ryan Deakin caps off a great performance by Northwestern, finishing 5th at the Big Tens and 5th at Nationals.  
- Keegan O'Toole and Max Dean get their first Titles
- Surprise Finals appearances by Ridge Lovett, Quincy Monday and Kizhan Clarke
- Gable Steveson wins 6-2.  Not quite the greatest show in history or whatever he predicted, but whatever.  Personally, I'm not a big a big fan of the WWE type schtick, but I know I'm in the minority there.  I respect his abilities, but think the ass kissing he gets, especially tonight from Daniel Cormier is a bit over the top, IMO.

Gotta love Saturday night at the NCAA Finals!

9 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Daniel Cormier is a bit over the top, IMO.

DC brought a lot of his UFC commentary energy to the NCAAs.  I’m guessing they were hoping it would translate well, although at times time it felt like he was pushing the information out more than just take a few pauses to let things play out or other announcers comment.  But he comes from the UCF word where all three of them are constantly talking over each other and going over the top with praise and excitement.  So I’m not sure it’s in him to ton it down too much for just the one event a year.  

I actually liked Rocks comments and match breakdowns during the ACC events this year and was glad he was on some of the earlier round of this years event.  They designated him as the additional rules expert for the finals so he didn’t get to add much to tonight’s broadcast, but he generally has good at breaking stuff down during these events.  I’d be good with him on the Big10 broadcast team.  

Edited by MattM

1 minute ago, MattM said:

DC brought a lot of his UFC commentary energy to the NCAAs.  I’m guessing they were hoping it would translate well, although at times time it felt like he was pushing the information out more than just take a few pauses to let things play out or other announcers comment.  But he comes from the UCF word where all three of them are constantly talking over each other and going over the top with praise and excitement.  So I’m not sure it’s in him to ton it down too much for just the one event a year.  

I actually liked Rocks comments and match breakdowns during the ACC events this year and was glad he was on some of the earlier round of this years event.  They designated him as the additional rules expert for the finals so he didn’t get to add much to tonight’s broadcast, but he generally has good at breaking stuff down during these events.  I’d be good with him on the Big10 broadcast team.  

I feel the same.  I didn't hate DC on the broadcasts, but didn't love him either.  Sometimes it would be nice to just shut up.  He interjected a bit much of his fandom too, for my taste.  But I'm old and crotchety, so I know I'm not in the majority.

I also liked Rock Harrison, and thought J'den Cox did a nice job as well.

10 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Awesome night in Detroit in front of 18k+ fans!

- Penn State goes 5-5, including repeat Titles from RBY, Lee, Starocci and Brooks.  
- Ryan Deakin caps off a great performance by Northwestern, finishing 5th at the Big Tens and 5th at Nationals.  
- Keegan O'Toole and Max Dean get their first Titles
- Surprise Finals appearances by Ridge Lovett, Quincy Monday and Kizhan Clarke
- Gable Steveson wins 6-2.  Not quite the greatest show in history or whatever he predicted, but whatever.  Personally, I'm not a big a big fan of the WWE type schtick, but I know I'm in the minority there.  I respect his abilities, but think the ass kissing he gets, especially tonight from Daniel Cormier is a bit over the top, IMO.

Gotta love Saturday night at the NCAA Finals!

I agree 100% on the entire post, as far as Steveson goes he very well may be one of the if not the top HVY we will see in our generation (I feel he could beat Macco and Lesnar I don't know a lot after them). I don't like the WWE track he's chosen but what do I know I'm just a hick from SW Indiana he may have a massive contract with WWE.

Congrats to Nick Lee on a 2nd National Title & a truly spectacular career!

While many here may not give him his HS due, as a freshman he ran into Micic as a Senior. Micic was simply more developed & mature at that point. He won as a Sophomore. Then he faced off in the legendary matchup with Red as a Junior. He had battled an injury most of that year & IMO was not in top shape for that matchup. He then left HS early to join the Nittany Lion WC. His development since that time has been enormous and IMO he is without question one of the greatest wrestlers ever to come from Indiana.

I want to thank this young man for making us Hoosiers proud with his superior skill & character. And I look forward to seeing him represent Indiana as a USA team member in the future as well. This is not a given obviously, but it would not be wise to doubt this young man.

Thank you Nick Lee & good luck in your future endeavors! 

Edited by SIACfan

Gable Steveson is clearly a once in a lifetime talent. Most here probably understand & appreciate what he has done at such a young age, but the vast majority do not know exactly how incredible winning an Olympic gold medal at HWT at the rip old age of 21 is.

It makes me sad to see him make the decision he has, and I am trying hard not to judge him for that. I think that the money must have much to do with it, and far be it for me to tell someone that is a mistake. I only hope that he truly does love this sport & comes to realize that he misses it too much. I know that having the money to support yourself & your family can mean a lot, but the WWE is such a waste of this man's talent.

If this truly is the end of his wrestling career, he will merely be a footnote in USA wrestling history as the talent that was wasted. Where if he were to continue his career he could very well become a USA wrestling legend.

I'm sure he will be popular in the WWE, but what kind of legacy is that? I'm sorry if this offends anyone but those WWE stars are buffoons IMO. Nicely compensated buffoons but buffoons none the less. And I'm quite certain that the WWE would still be an option in 10-15 years.

Buffoon definition: a ridiculous but amusing person; a clown.

Edited by SIACfan

I also want to thank all the Indiana wrestlers who ended their college careers this weekend.

Drew Hildebrandt

Brock Hudkins

Chad Red Jr

Stevan Micic

Andrew Davison

I'm sure I am missing some names but those are the ones I know of. You all made us proud.

Thanks very much!

29 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Gable Steveson is clearly a once in a lifetime talent. Most here probably understand & appreciate what he has done at such a young age, but the vast majority do not know exactly how incredible winning an Olympic gold medal at HWT at the rip old age of 21 is.

It makes me sad to see him make the decision he has, and I am trying hard not to judge him for that. I think that the money must have much to do with it, and far be it for me to tell someone that is a mistake. I only hope that he truly does love this sport & comes to realize that he misses it too much. I know that having the money to support yourself & your family can mean a lot, but the WWE is such a waste of this man's talent.

If this truly is the end of his wrestling career, he will merely be a footnote in USA wrestling history as the talent that was wasted. Where if he were to continue his career he could very well become a USA wrestling legend.

I'm sure he will be popular in the WWE, but what kind of legacy is that? I'm sorry if this offends anyone but those WWE stars are buffoons IMO. Nicely compensated buffoons but buffoons none the less. And I'm quite certain that the WWE would still be an option in 10-15 years.

Buffoon definition: a ridiculous but amusing person; a clown.

Personally I’m fine with his decision. He showed last night he is an entertainer while he pumped up the crowd. His decision will not diminish his legacy in this sport as he’s captured many titles to include the Olympic gold. Many of the future HW’s that come up will at some point be compared to him. Like many other former wrestlers, his athletic ability will translate well into his WWE decision. While I’m not as big a fan of this new WWE as I was growing up, I can’t hate on his decision to be who he wants to be, an entertainer. 

5 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Personally I’m fine with his decision. He showed last night he is an entertainer while he pumped up the crowd. His decision will not diminish his legacy in this sport as he’s captured many titles to include the Olympic gold. Many of the future HW’s that come up will at some point be compared to him. Like many other former wrestlers, his athletic ability will translate well into his WWE decision. While I’m not as big a fan of this new WWE as I was growing up, I can’t hate on his decision to be who he wants to be, an entertainer. 

I am not saying this decision will tarnish what he has accomplished. Just that it is a waste of his talent.

I was a Professional Wrastling fan, when I was 10 years old.

I'm not hating on him, or at least I don't mean to. But Steveson is a world class wrestler deciding to hang it up at age 21. I'm sorry but WWE entertainer is extremely small in comparison to Olympic Champion. I can't help but think that he is getting some really bad advice from those close to him - but maybe I am wrong & this is completely his decision.

If Steveson loves the theatrics & the thrill of the crowd more than he does the sport of wrestling then so be it. I just see it as a colossal mistake.

30 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Wow. Looked bigger than that. Good call. 

it was full and loud as hell, so your initial point remains valid.  The # was just off, which really didn't matter.  It was interesting because Penn State brings such a large crowd, but the rest of the arena was clearly rooting for whoever was wrestling against Penn St.  That's what the top dog gets. 

Everybody says Chad Red shows up in March.  What I saw every year was a guy that wrestled not to lose and consequently lost early every year.  Seemed like when the pressure was off, he wrestled much better in the consolations.  It caught up to him this year and he wasn't able to make a run to the podium.  Still a very good career, but it wasn't what anybody in this state thought he would have.

17 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I know the extenuating circumstances, but how cool is it that Nick Lee won more NCAA titles than HS titles?

I think in a lot of instances this could just be a case of developing after HS, but in Nick's case I believe the "extenuating circumstances" are the actual reason. Not that he didn't experience a good deal of development over his college years because I do believe he did. But I also just feel that he was plenty good in HS, he just ran into (2) extremely talented wrestlers out of his (3) years that both proved to be the real deal.

How many multi-time State Champs in HS had to beat (2) eventual 3x college D1 AA wrestlers to achieve their multi-time State Champ status? Red & Micic each had to beat one in Nick Lee. But both would still have been multi-time state champs without beating Nick.

What is also interesting is that Nick finished his college career with more NCAA titles than B1G titles, but that is not necessarily unusual.