NCAA Division I Nationals (Brackets Released!) Discussion Thread

Red in a barnburner now.  Got headlocked and thrown to his back.  Was in trouble but was able to roll through and get a reversal.  Only gave up 2 back points.  Lucky it wasn't 4, IMO.  5-5 going into the 3rd.  Chad does have over 2 minutes of riding time.

Edited by SWINfan

7 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Red in a barnburner now.  Got headlocked and thrown to his back.  Was in trouble but was able to roll through and get a reversal.  Only gave up 2 back points.  Lucky it wasn't 4, IMO.  5-5 going into the 3rd.  Chad does have over 2 minutes of riding time.

That was a man's ride. impressive

A few more results from Hoosier natives...  
Donnell Washington 13-2 to Kaleb Romero
Andrew Davison dropped a 9-0 major decision to Nino Bonaccorsi
Thomas Penola gets a 5-2 win over Owen Pentz
Lucas Davison with a 4-0 win over Sam Schuyler
Mason Parris gets a 17-5 Major over Ben Goldin

Team Scores after Round 1 are about as expected:
Penn State 15.5
Iowa 12.5
Michigan 12.5
Arizona State 11.5
NC State 11

Edited by SWINfan
Corrected Iowa's Team Score

5 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Micic loses 7-3.  I think at this point he's more likely to go 0-2 then he is to make a run to the podium on the back side.

I’d hate to see it happen but that is also my prediction. Looking at micic vs hart i defiantly saw a size different i love micic as a wrestler but he’s way to small for 141, it was to fast of a jump from 57kg to 141. Good luck to him though!

Brock Hudkins has had a rough go of it today.  After hurting his ankle but holding on to win his first match, he had to Injury Default out of his 2nd match against Korbin Myers of VA Tech.  Hudkins appeared to have injured his knee (I looked away for a minute and didn't see how it happened, but he was in pain and I'd be surprised if he is able to wrestle in the morning.  You never know... perhaps Mr. Miagi can work his magic, but it didn't look good. 

Just now, GG19 said:

That call against Red was BS! That all i have to say. First off who wants to end a match like that. Second of rivera wasn’t attempting a takedown at all he was bull rushing him out of bounds! 

What kind of ish is that in an OT match! Reminds me of surianos loss a few years back against fix 

I'm not the biggest fan of the format ESPN uses for this tournament.  The ESPN broadcast wasted time showing Andrew Alirez vs. CJ Composto, including a long review, all the while Chad Red and Sebastian Rivera were wrestling a tight match.  I tried watching it on my laptop, but no sound is limiting.  Didn't see the whole match, but Red lost a 7-6 decision in SV, on a stalling call as they went out of bounds.  Apparently, Red gave up another stalling point near the end of the 3rd period.  Riding time for Red knotted the score taking it to SV.

I wish I could comfortably say whether the calls were right or not, but I can't.  Can't go back and watch it immediately either. 

12 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Back to not liking the ESPN format/broadcast, it drives me freakin' nuts that Quint Kessenich chases wrestlers down for interviews as soon as they leave the mat.  It is NOT good TV to see a wrester sucking wind with a mic in his face

I agree 100% we need to stop doing this in our own state tournament. I believe we should wait until awards are done and get an interview then.

Edited by Ahawkeye

It's moving day!  

A few notes from last night's session 2 and this morning's action....  
- Brock Hudkins MFF this morning after injuring his knee.  Tough tourney for Brock
- Drew Hildebrandt won his first consolation match and then fell 8-4 to Brody Teske this morning and has been eliminated
- Nick Lee got a 9-2 win over Quinn Kinner of Rider.  He get a 2nd period Fall over Grant Willits of Oregon State to advance to the Semifinals tonight against Real Woods.  Lee opened the season with a 11-4 dec over Willits
- Chad Red had some tough luck dropping his match last night to Sebastian Rivera.  He'll face Ian Parker of Iowa State shortly
- Stevan Micic won 7-4 over OK State's true freshman Carter Young last night.  
- Donnell Washington lost a 6-1 dec to Travis Stefanik of Princeton and is eliminated.  Hopefully he'll be able to come back healthy next year.  
- Thomas Penola dropped a 3-1 dec to Jacob Warner of Iowa.  He'll face Tanner Sloan of South Dakota State this morning
- Andrew Davison lost 5-0 to Tanner Sloan and was eliminated
- Lucas Davison earned a 9-2 dec win over Matt Stencel of Central Michigan and his reward is a date with Gable Steveson in this mornings QF
- Mason Parris beat Nathan Traxler of VA Tech 7-3 and faces 2 seed Cohlton Schultz this morning, which could be a really good match!

Edited by SWINfan

Chad gets a 7-5 win over Ian Parker and is now 3-1 against him.  He'll get Dylan Droegemueller of ND State with Oregon State's Grant Willits waiting in the blood round.  Red has not faced Droegemueller and is 3-0 against Willits.  I like his chances for a 5th All-American finish!

Micic gets a 10-2 major dec over Franke Tal Shahar of Northwestern.  He'll face Jaydin Eierman next

Edited by SWINfan

Lee will face Real Woods of Stanford, the 4 seed.  Lee has faced Woods once in college getting a 6-3 win at the Southern Scuffle in 2019.  In the other semifinal, 6 seed Cole Mathews (knocked off Sebastian Rivera) faces Kizhan Clarke, the 15 seed.  Clark beat Jaydin Eierman last night.

149 brought some more chaos in the bottom half of the bracket.  Ridge Lovett of Nebraska WBF over 2 seed Tariq Wilson and Bryce Andonian WBF over 3 seed Austin Gomez in a wild match.  So it will be the 10 and 11 seeds battling for a spot in the Final tomorrow night.

Edited by SWINfan

Some excitement at 285!

Mason, unfortunately loses 6-5 to Cohlton Schultz.  Mason took a couple of shots but got caught underneath.  He was too square going for a single leg and Schultz was too heavy for him to finish.  Had he gotten out to the side, perhaps he could have finished.  

Lucas Davison lost to Steveson 10-5 and is the only wrestler to take Steveson down and to not allow a bonus point victory.  He battled Gable tough!

Tony Cassioppi of Iowa also lost in SV to Jordan Wood of Lehigh.  I like both Mason and Lucas' chances to AA, but Parris is on a collision course with Cassioppi in the round after the blood round.  One of those 2 will likely be wrestling for 7th

Parris made mistakes he made his freshman year. He was the aggressor, but took shots from too far out and from straight on. If you are going to shoot low on the legs of a guy as big as Shultz, you have to go from the side (what Kerk did against Parris) or finish quickly. Twice he got in on decent shots, but flattened out unable to finish. Both turned into Schultz takedowns.

Thomas Penola was behind early and a string of takedowns got him back into it, knotting it a 8-8 taking it into SV.  Penola looked like he got a takedown on the edge, but it was called out of bounds.  After a long review they give him the takedown and he advances 10-8.  He'll face Greg Bulsak of Rutgers next.

Consolations continue and Semifinals begin tonight at 7:00 central