NCAA Division I Nationals (Brackets Released!) Discussion Thread

Brackets just released...  Trying to digest now.  What do you see??

Initial Hoosier related thoughts....
1. Sucks Brayton Lee isn't wrestling this year.  Hope he heals up and is back at it!
2. Drew Hildebrandt's Big Ten performance bit him in the ass.  Get's the 16 seed and will face #1 Nick Suriano in round 2
3. Hudkins could break thru to the QF if he wrestles well.  Got the 13 seed
4. 141 is DEEP - Nick Lee got as good a draw as expected as the #1 seed.  He could see Stevan Micic in the QF, but the 24 seed doesn't make it an easy road to get there for Micic.  He opens against Missouri's Allan Hart, the 9 seed.  Chad Red landed the 19 seed and has about as tough a draw as he could get.  He faces #14 Dresdon Simon of CMU and then would square off against Sebastian Rivera in Round 2.  With Rivera hobbling with a knee issue, anything is possible, but Red will have to face and beat 2 veterans off the bat, or make noise on the consolation side
5. A big ouch comes from Athens Ohio as Jordan Slivka gets the 32 seed and would face defending National Champ David Carr if he gets past his Prelim match against the 33 seed Derek Holschlag of Northern Iowa
6. Donnell Washington landed the 26 seed and faces Ohio State's Kaleb Romero.  DW lost to Romero 5-0 last season
7. Andrew Davison is the 28 seed and faces National Runner UP Nino Bonaccorsi of Pitt. Thomas Penola earned the 11 seed and faces Owen Pentz of NDSU.  Win that and he'll likely see Iowa's Jacob Warner.
8. Mason Parris got "stuck"with the 7 seed, which may have been a nice gift.  That puts him on the opposite side of the bracket of Gable Steveson.  Lucas Davison was not so lucky and got the 9 seed.  Win his first 2 matches and he'll see Steveson in the quarterfinal.

Edited by SWINfan

17 minutes ago, MattM said:

Penn St. doesn’t get the best draws.  I think they are still in the drivers seat, but Iowa and Michigan could be closer in the rearview. 

Short-timers did not get rewarded this year, esp 125 and 157 for Penn St

Not going to be a kind NCAA tournament to our Indiana natives. 

125 - Hildebrandt did himself no favors with his poor showing at Big 10's.  Will be very hard to AA

133 - Hudkins is game, but don't think he gets on the podium

141 - I think Lee should cruise to the finals and is the favorite to repeat (especially if Seabass and Eiermann are dinged up) Red and Micic will struggle to AA at 141

157 - Slivka 0-2 or 1-2

184 - Donnell Washington - hasn't looked good since his injury.  Tough one right out of the gate.  Don't think he's healthy enough to make a run to the podium on the back side.

197 - Davison and Penola could both win a couple of matches but I don't think either will AA

285 - Parris got the 7 seed, which is good that he's opposite of Gable.  But if he doesn't wrestle better than he did at big 10's then he will be 4th at best.

2 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Not going to be a kind NCAA tournament to our Indiana natives. 

125 - Hildebrandt did himself no favors with his poor showing at Big 10's.  Will be very hard to AA

133 - Hudkins is game, but don't think he gets on the podium

141 - I think Lee should cruise to the finals and is the favorite to repeat (especially if Seabass and Eiermann are dinged up) Red and Micic will struggle to AA at 141

157 - Slivka 0-2 or 1-2

184 - Donnell Washington - hasn't looked good since his injury.  Tough one right out of the gate.  Don't think he's healthy enough to make a run to the podium on the back side.

197 - Davison and Penola could both win a couple of matches but I don't think either will AA

285 - Parris got the 7 seed, which is good that he's opposite of Gable.  But if he doesn't wrestle better than he did at big 10's then he will be 4th at best.

I really hope Chad Red gets hot and upsets rivera/eirman that would be insane if we got a lee vs red final. I think hudkins and penola can be surprise AA. I can also see Lucas placing 6-8th. At 285

Edited by GG19

2 hours ago, GG19 said:

I really hope Chad Red gets hot and upsets rivera/eirman that would be insane if we got a lee vs red final. I think hudkins and penola can be surprise AA. I can also see Lucas placing 6-8th. At 285

Would definitely be insane, but I give it 0% chance of happening.  Just don't see Red running the Seabass/Eierman gauntlet.  I don't think he gets by Seabass unless Rivera is injured more than they are letting on.

2 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

Would definitely be insane, but I give it 0% chance of happening.  Just don't see Red running the Seabass/Eierman gauntlet.  I don't think he gets by Seabass unless Rivera is injured more than they are letting on.

Not to mention, Red faces Dresden Simon in round 1, who he lost to last year in the 2nd Round of Nationals.  Rivera hurt his knee in a Feb. 18 dual against Princeton and was held out of their final dual against Columbia.  .  He wore a heavy brace in his first 2 BTT matches and seemed unaffected before MFF out.  We'll see how 2 weeks of rest helps.  Not sure what the severity of Eierman's issue is, but he was wearing a brace as well.  It's been reported he tweaked it in the dual against Chad Red.  It will definitely be a tough road for Chad.  

58 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Not to mention, Red faces Dresden Simon in round 1, who he lost to last year in the 2nd Round of Nationals.  Rivera hurt his knee in a Feb. 18 dual against Princeton and was held out of their final dual against Columbia.  .  He wore a heavy brace in his first 2 BTT matches and seemed unaffected before MFF out.  We'll see how 2 weeks of rest helps.  Not sure what the severity of Eierman's issue is, but he was wearing a brace as well.  It's been reported he tweaked it in the dual against Chad Red.  It will definitely be a tough road for Chad.  

I dont think Red Loses To Dresdan again 

9 hours ago, GG19 said:

It would be awesome to see Nick beat Stevan Micic and Andrew Alirez in the Quarter and Semifinal and Chad Red for the Title.  That likelihood is probably less than 1%

19 hours ago, GG19 said:

It was reported on the Nebraska board that Red was sick last week, which would explain his underperformance at B1G. So, I expect him to bounce back and have another AA finish.

They are saying Eierman may have torn his ACL over on HR, so you definitely have to downgrade his chances if true, particularly given his style.

I was told by someone who attended B1G that Rivera was jumping over seats in the stands. He seems fine, and is the real threat in that bracket.

Seabass getting the 3rd seed is interesting after the MFF. Having Eirman and Seabass in the opposite side of the bracket makes a much easier road to the finals for Lee.

There was virtually no negative implications for any of the MFF's. I don't know how to make it happen but what if MFF's were unable to gain higher than 6th seed (I just picked a # maybe 10th seed would be better) do you think it would stop them? Unless we call a MFF a disquisition I don't know if we'll ever see it not being abused. I'd hate to see it go that far though.

Edited by Ahawkeye

I'm really looking forward to Thursday!   Anyone interested in discussing any matches, not just IN kids, feel free.  I'll definitely be around.  

- I'm hoping to see a good performance from Penn State and expect them to take home the team trophy as well as up to 5 individual titles.  But things can and do happen, so who knows what will happen.
- Will definitely follow all Indiana kids as well.  
- Lots of great early matchups.  

Wrestling begins at 11 am (Central) Thursday.  Broadcast on ESPNU from 11:00 - 2:30).  
2nd Round is on ESPN beginning at 6:00 pm (Central) on ESPN.  All mats available on ESPN3/Watch ESPN.

Friday is the same, except the semifinals on ESPN start an hour later at 7:00 pm Central.

Let's do this!  Who are you rooting for/watching?

22 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

We need to do an ncaa bracket pick ‘em or point fantasy pool some year like high school. 

To stay on topic I’ve been a Rayvon Foley fanboy for awhile. Fun to watch. 

It's funny.... I never thought he was very good (meaning I thought he was good, but just that), yet he keeps winning and surpassing what I think he'll do.  I gave up underestimating him last year.  This year, I do like his chances to get to the Quarterfinal against RBY.   You never know what will happen on the back side, but I like his chances to be on the podium.

I for one will be cheering as loud as I can for Mason Parris.  I've been such a fan of his since his freshman year of high school and have loved seeing him dominating in the B1G's with the exception of his matches with Gable, but oh well it's Gable after all...seeing him struggle with Kerk this year is different.  I am going to go on record (like that means anything 😀) and say that I see Mason Parris in the finals this weekend!!!   I love his spot in the bracket and I'm saying he's going to make it happen!  

Another one that I will be pulling for this weekend is MSU's Cam Caffey.  I know he's not a household name by any means, but having the privilege of watching these kids behind the scenes and getting to talk to them on occasion he is one of them that I would tell my kids "Watch this guy...not just on the mat...but off the mat as well...be like HIM".  His sportsmanship is second to few if any.  He wins with dignity and loses with dignity.  He's respectful and cares about what his coaches say to him and always takes time to properly shake his opponents hand as well as the other coaches hand...call me old fashioned but I like that.  

There are lots more to cheer for for sure, but these are a couple that have earned a special spot for me!  Can't wait to watch it!!  

7 hours ago, Go Big Blue said:

I for one will be cheering as loud as I can for Mason Parris.  I've been such a fan of his since his freshman year of high school and have loved seeing him dominating in the B1G's with the exception of his matches with Gable, but oh well it's Gable after all...seeing him struggle with Kerk this year is different.  I am going to go on record (like that means anything 😀) and say that I see Mason Parris in the finals this weekend!!!   I love his spot in the bracket and I'm saying he's going to make it happen!  

There are lots more to cheer for for sure, but these are a couple that have earned a special spot for me!  Can't wait to watch it!!  

I'm right there with you on Mason.  Been a big fan since I first saw him his freshman year as well.  While I hope Penn St. does well, I'll root for Mason over Kerk all day long.  He did get a break in the draw.  I don't think beating Cohlton Schultz and Cassioppi will be easy, but hopefully he'll get it done.  

15 hours ago, Go Big Blue said:

Another one that I will be pulling for this weekend is MSU's Cam Caffey.  I know he's not a household name by any means, but having the privilege of watching these kids behind the scenes and getting to talk to them on occasion he is one of them that I would tell my kids "Watch this guy...not just on the mat...but off the mat as well...be like HIM".  His sportsmanship is second to few if any.  He wins with dignity and loses with dignity.  He's respectful and cares about what his coaches say to him and always takes time to properly shake his opponents hand as well as the other coaches hand...call me old fashioned but I like that.  

If you subscribe to B1G+ you may be able to find the On The Mat episode they did on Cam Caffey last year (I think). Or maybe it is on youtube. You will like him even more after watching it.

Edit: Found it

Edited by wrestlenewbie

I thought it was interesting that both Nick Lee and Max Dean, in an interview earlier this week, talked about not paying attention to who they are wrestling during the tournament and looking ahead.  Both said they rely on their coaches to let them know if there is anything specific they need to know about an opponent.  They want to focus on their own offense and training and score as many points as possible. 

To me that shows extreme confidence and focus.  I'd be looking at the bracket and visualizing all of the possible scenarios ahead of me.  

Jordan Slivka lost 7-4 in his opener.  

Big Ten 125's dropping like flies...
Drew Hildebrandt loses to Noto 4-2 in sudden victory
Malik Heinselman drops a 7-2 dec to Taylor LaMont
Devin Schroder loses 4-1 to Sam Latona
Drake Ayala falls 12-9 to Fabian Gutierrez
Patrick McKee downed 8-5 by Caleb Smith

17 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Hudkins with the win against CSUB..I hope his ankle is ok

He was definitely hurting.  Even sat down to have it looked at just off the mat as soon as his match was over.  He toughed that one out, getting the 8-3 win after hurting the ankle in the 1st period.

Micic lost 7-3 to Allan Hart of Missouri.  He just really struggles to get out when on bottom.

Mat 5 now with Chad Red.  Nick Lee on deck on Mat 6

Edited by SWINfan