2024 State Finals and NBA All-Star Game

bsisson

Dealing with a hotel we've been using a few years they mentioned doing a 2 year contract next year, but later stated that they can't do that because the NBA All-Star Game is being hosted in Indianapolis 2024.

I thought this couldn't be right but the date for IHSAA State is Feb 16-17 and looking at the NBA website they have All-Star Weekend listed as Feb 16-18.  Even if it is some how figured out how to host both events by holding other events at Butler, hotel prices will probably be astronomically high all around Indy.  The hotel we deal with already said they are contracted for meeting space and guest rooms that weekend.

Edited by bsisson

• bsisson changed the title to 2024 State Finals and NBA All-Star Game

Hopefully all of the events surrounding this weekend will be held at the more spacious and more $eating of Lucas Oil Stadium. Guess we will have to wait and see.

UPDATE: Well, looked it up myself and does appear it will be at Gainbridge. Last time it was hosted by Indy was 1985, but it was at the Hoosier Dome. 

Edited by XCard

12 minutes ago, Blane Culp said:

Assembly Hall -17,000

Mackey Arena -14,200

Ft Wayne coliseum- 13,000 but fits 4 mats really nicely

What other options am I missing?

Our numbers now are roughly 18,000 tickets? 

Will the Blane Culp MegaColiseum be complete by then?

25 minutes ago, Blane Culp said:

Assembly Hall -17,000

Mackey Arena -14,200

Ft Wayne coliseum- 13,000 but fits 4 mats really nicely

What other options am I missing?

Our numbers now are roughly 18,000 tickets? 

Worthen Arena - 11,500

There is no way State finals could be held on the same weekend as the NBA All-Star weekend.   If you look at the number of people who attend this event, it's crazy.   It's not just a game.  It is a full weekend of events.  There would be no hotel rooms, no where to eat and the number of people just walking around would be crazy.  Only solution would be move it to another weekend.  I just can not see having State finals any where else other than downtown Indianapolis.  I know in the 80's we had it at New Castle because of the weather.  I was there and it was not the same electric feeling as MSA, Conseco or now Gainbridge.   Do not care what anyone says nothing compares to spending the weekend in Indy for State Finals.

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

Hate to lose Gainbridge but could we do New Castle? Would Lucas Oil be an option? Anybody else have any ideas? Or we try to postpone sectionals by one week?

The Girls Basketball State Finals is typically the weekend after us so postponing a week doesn't really help unless you postpone them as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have Butler hit up some road games that weekend and I’d be good with Henkle Fieldhouse as a replacement.  It still in a center Indianapolis location, its an arena over a Hs gym, and it’s seating capacity hits around the regular finals attendance. 

12 hours ago, MattM said:

Have Butler hit up some road games that weekend and I’d be good with Henkle Fieldhouse as a replacement.  It still in a center Indianapolis location, its an arena over a Hs gym, and it’s seating capacity hits around the regular finals attendance. 

That was my first thought.

1 minute ago, AJ said:

What about just moving the State Finals back a week.

Having a "off" week between semistate and state?

The girls state finals are the week afterward so then they'd have to be shifted a week or to a new venue.

I honestly doubt the IHSAA would want to have two state championships on the same weekend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.