Freestyle Wrestling

blueandgold

If the NFHS were to adopt freestyle rules for state associations to use in competition, do you think this would be better or worse for wrestlers? Now, for those of you who are going to say no simply because you fear or dislike change, ignore this. For the rest of you who are actually enthusiastic about wrestling and its possibilities, please share your thoughts. I would be in favor of it. I think freestyle wrestling has many benefits.

Pros

• Promotes more activity between wrestlers, thus creating more exciting action
  • Premier national events for high school athletes are conducted under freestyle rules (Cadet & Junior Nationals, Cadet & Junior Duals, FloNationals, UWW Cadet & Junior Nationals)
  • Rewards both wrestlers accordingly (Rewards wrestler A for taking the shot/risk and wrestler B for wrestling through the position)
  • Limited mat action
  • Clear distinction of takedowns
  • Limited penalties
  • Clear criteria for winner

Cons

• Adjustment to new rules could be confusing for some

I'm intrigued to know some of your thoughts.

18 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

If the NFHS were to adopt freestyle rules for state associations to use in competition, do you think this would be better or worse for wrestlers? Now, for those of you who are going to say no simply because you fear or dislike change, ignore this. For the rest of you who are actually enthusiastic about wrestling and its possibilities, please share your thoughts. I would be in favor of it. I think freestyle wrestling has many benefits.

Pros

• Premier national events for high school athletes are conducted under freestyle rules (Cadet & Junior Nationals, Cadet & Junior Duals, FloNationals, UWW Cadet & Junior Nationals)
  • Rewards both wrestlers accordingly (Rewards wrestler A for taking the shot/risk and wrestler B for wrestling through the position)
  • Limited mat action
  • Limited penalties

Cons

Intriguing for sure. 

First step to NFHS adopting those rules would be NCAA adopting those rules. Until that happens, HS will continue to be Folkstyle to match what they do collegiately.

Growing up, I’d always heard that HS didn’t want to adopt Freestyle because the lack of a controlled throw rule (you can suplex without controlling to the mat with no penalty, in fact, encouraged with the Grand amplitude point) I can see how people with limited Wrestling knowledge would be scared of the insurance implications, but I’m not certain if that was a real reason or just made up because after all schools still hosts these tourneys in the spring.

Ultimately, it’s a preference. Some like Folkstyle because they’re used to it and there’s definitely an art to mat wrestling. I, like you, prefer the action of freestyle but I appreciate Folkstyle for what it is too.

Don't know so I'm asking here - are there potentially more knee (or other injuries) in freestyle with beginners using the moves?  I'm thinking about leg laces torqueing the knees, or bow and arrow type moves

Personally, I love watching freestyle at the higher levels.  I think recent adjustments to rules has made it into a more watchable sport 

3 hours ago, base said:

Don't know so I'm asking here - are there potentially more knee (or other injuries) in freestyle with beginners using the moves?  I'm thinking about leg laces torqueing the knees, or bow and arrow type moves

Personally, I love watching freestyle at the higher levels.  I think recent adjustments to rules has made it into a more watchable sport 

That’s a good question that I unfortunately do not know the answer to, but I am curious to know as well.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:59 PM, blueandgold said:

Pros

• Limited mat action
  • Limited penalties

Cons

Depends what the end goal is.  Is the goal to develop world/olympic medalists?  Because we have been doing just fine with our current system 99% of those wrestling in HS have no chance to go on to the international level.

My preference is folkstyle.  I wrestled freestyle in my competitive days and I always favored folkstyle.  I like watching a guy completely break another wrestler from the top position.  I'm not a fan of 30 second tech falls when you have a guy get ankle laced across the mat, which would happen all the time at your typical HS tournament/dual.  I'm not sure there are enough quality freestyle coaches out there.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:05 AM, base said:

I think those moves are more harmful for older wrestlers than younger. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.