I am sharing this. Please take a moment and read this.

buttler73

6 hours ago, greco165 said:

1. That is a common exclamation, not meant to take the Lord's name in vain. Also, are you assuming the commentator wasn't Christian? Could be Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist etc.

2. Is a commentators job not to comment on action? If there is a questionable call shouldn't they be able to say so? What kind of authoritarian structure do you want in place that can't question authority?

First of all, it is absolutely taking the Lord’s name in vain, common or not.  But those weren’t the only inappropriate words I heard from commentators while I listened at home.  As an example, I heard S__ o_ B____ multiple times.

I’ve only watched a couple of matches online as I was at state finals last weekend. Did all of the mats have commentating? 

I think if you are assigned to commentate a certain mat you should comment on that mat and not give play by play on different mats unless you are covering multiple mats. I understand giving updates but you should be concentrating on the one mat. Not a big deal and I am glad that they were able to have play by play. 

29 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

First of all, it is absolutely taking the Lord’s name in vain, common or not.  But those weren’t the only inappropriate words I heard from commentators while I listened at home.  As an example, I heard S__ o_ B____ multiple times.

I get that certain language should probably be regulated on a state sponsored broadcast, but the clutching of pearls is an overreaction. Head to your local bar, or really any internet link and you'll likely hear far worse.

23 hours ago, crosstownrivals said:

Disappointing:

1. Some of the commentary during matches. A prime example is when a commentator saw a big lift and return to the mat and his exact words "Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ I have never seen such raw strength." 

Good point that's not super professional.   On the flip side if the commentator got this excited and exclamatory about it,   andthat this move was so big and strong,  what did we miss seeing?  I feel like i missed out on something.

17 hours ago, bwoodjc89 said:

No in the rule is this:

ART. 5 ... When there are consecutive days of team competition, there shall be a 1-pound additional allowance granted each day for all wrestlers up to a maximum of two pounds. In order to be granted this 1-pound additional allowance, a minimum of 48 hours advance notice is required for the opponent(s). The acceptable person(s) to receive that notice shall be the head coach, principal or athletic director. Competitions that are postponed for one calendar day or more, for reasons beyond the control of the participating school(s), or practices that cannot be held in these situations due to school policy shall be treated the same as competitions when there are consecutive days of competition in terms of the 1-pound allowance, with the exception of the required 48-hour notice.

It just maxes out at 2 additional pounds.  106 would be MAX 110 lbs. Starting with the 2 lbs growth allowance (108) at Christmas then with 2 consecutive missed practices OR 1 missed practice and 1 additional pound for the second day of competition.

That's how I interpret it. I was just describing what was interpreted at state by faulkens.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:08 PM, rookie78 said:

Another good one when talking about Zeke Seltzer, can't remember if it was at the end of his interview, but they said Mizzou was in the SEC 🤔

The good thing is someone corrected the announcer because the 2nd time when J Conway came up, they got it right.  But yeah, I noticed that right away.

Couple things to address about the announcers.

First, the Bally(formerly Fox) broadcast Greg Rakeshaw does wrestling once a year. Knowing the collegiate wrestling scene is not in his wheelhouse. Obviously someone with knowledge corrected him with the Missouri thing. While the coverage is not the Big Ten student produced event, it is not an ESPN event either. They do a great job with the production and let the wrestling people do their jobs, which is what they should. Blake and coach Goebel do awesome for people who do it once a year. The others are fillers and know just enough to keep things going. I'm sure the other state finals events have just as many mistakes.

The matside announcers are not professionals at all. Having someone talking is way better than not having someone there or listening to what the table workers ate for breakfast. It's a long day sitting there, talking to yourself and trying to stay engaged. As with any of us, there will be mistakes made and since they are not professionals they will say things we don't agree with. If you are picking out a few things here and there out of 10 hours of sitting on the mic, I think they are doing great. Do you always agree with what a commentator says on an NFL or NBA broadcast, NO. It shouldn't be any different now.

If you want professionals on the call you will need to pay the money to have them there. I'm sure Flo would send a whole crew for the right price or you might be able to clone Mike, which might be cheaper...but scarier.

4 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Couple things to address about the announcers.

First, the Bally(formerly Fox) broadcast Greg Rakeshaw does wrestling once a year. Knowing the collegiate wrestling scene is not in his wheelhouse. Obviously someone with knowledge corrected him with the Missouri thing. While the coverage is not the Big Ten student produced event, it is not an ESPN event either. They do a great job with the production and let the wrestling people do their jobs, which is what they should. Blake and coach Goebel do awesome for people who do it once a year. The others are fillers and know just enough to keep things going. I'm sure the other state finals events have just as many mistakes.

The matside announcers are not professionals at all. Having someone talking is way better than not having someone there or listening to what the table workers ate for breakfast. It's a long day sitting there, talking to yourself and trying to stay engaged. As with any of us, there will be mistakes made and since they are not professionals they will say things we don't agree with. If you are picking out a few things here and there out of 10 hours of sitting on the mic, I think they are doing great. Do you always agree with what a commentator says on an NFL or NBA broadcast, NO. It shouldn't be any different now.

If you want professionals on the call you will need to pay the money to have them there. I'm sure Flo would send a whole crew for the right price or you might be able to clone Mike, which might be cheaper...but scarier.

I agree in principle, Joe.  However, I will not cotton to accepting purposefully-manufactured BS just to keep a conversation flow going.  Don't feed us BS.  That is not a money issue, but one of professional ethics.  If they don't know, they can either talk about something else or admit they do not know and ask for input, even in the live flow.  There is always a better option than dishonesty and a blind-eye blanket of embarrassment. And before you tell me to suit up and show up, my phone is unknown and thus doesn't ring.  But it's cool to just keep plugging in zombs who don't love the sport.  It's so easy.

2 hours ago, busstogate said:

I agree in principle, Joe.  However, I will not cotton to accepting purposefully-manufactured BS just to keep a conversation flow going.  Don't feed us BS.  That is not a money issue, but one of professional ethics.  If they don't know, they can either talk about something else or admit they do not know and ask for input, even in the live flow.  There is always a better option than dishonesty and a blind-eye blanket of embarrassment. And before you tell me to suit up and show up, my phone is unknown and thus doesn't ring.  But it's cool to just keep plugging in zombs who don't love the sport.  It's so easy.

You can pick apart any sports broadcast and find mistakes that happen live on air. Watch PTI and they even have a segment of where they went wrong. Getting your panties in a bunch because a guy who does wrestling one night a year didn't know Missouri is in the Big 12 for wrestling isn't that big of a deal.

On 2/25/2022 at 7:58 AM, Wrestling Scholar said:

Good point that's not super professional.   On the flip side if the commentator got this excited and exclamatory about it,   andthat this move was so big and strong,  what did we miss seeing?  I feel like i missed out on something.

Christian Carroll vs Royce Deckard III - Carroll used raw strength to grab Deckard, lift him onto his shoulders, take about 12 steps then set him down to the mat straight to his back.  Note that Carroll didn't lock his hands like a bear hug, and he did not slam Deckard down to the mat, it was a controlled lift, walk towards the edge, turn back around towards the middle then set him down.  Brute strength that shocked one of the announcers.

I'll say - the matside guys were mostly really good and entertaining.  Yes, you can tell they are locals - one of the guys was obviously a Brownsburg guy because he had a lot of inside info on their guys and a few other things he said.  They are not polished announcers, they are younger guys around the scene that get excited and also give some good insight on the wrestlers.  Personally, I liked listening to them and I like the excitement when something big is happening (contrast to the mat where the audio was off and it was just silence!)  Yeah, he probably shouldn't have said Jesus Christ - but he didn't say Holy S*it! or Oh My God! so it could have just been something else.

So Joe - who were the announcers on each of the mats?  I'm curious as to the lineup we had.  I thought one of them on Mat 1 sounded like you - but I forgot that you were coaching for FW Carroll.

image.png.381af835b9f539a955a90cd80091d05d.png

1 hour ago, base said:

Christian Carroll vs Royce Deckard III - Carroll used raw strength to grab Deckard, lift him onto his shoulders, take about 12 steps then set him down to the mat straight to his back.  Note that Carroll didn't lock his hands like a bear hug, and he did not slam Deckard down to the mat, it was a controlled lift, walk towards the edge, turn back around towards the middle then set him down.  Brute strength that shocked one of the announcers.

I'll say - the matside guys were mostly really good and entertaining.  Yes, you can tell they are locals - one of the guys was obviously a Brownsburg guy because he had a lot of inside info on their guys and a few other things he said.  They are not polished announcers, they are younger guys around the scene that get excited and also give some good insight on the wrestlers.  Personally, I liked listening to them and I like the excitement when something big is happening (contrast to the mat where the audio was off and it was just silence!)  Yeah, he probably shouldn't have said Jesus Christ - but he didn't say Holy S*it! or Oh My God! so it could have just been something else.

So Joe - who were the announcers on each of the mats?  I'm curious as to the lineup we had.  I thought one of them on Mat 1 sounded like you - but I forgot that you were coaching for FW Carroll.

image.png.381af835b9f539a955a90cd80091d05d.png

I do not know who the announcers were. I didn't pay that much attention. I heard at least one had the voice of an angel that sounded like me.

9 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I do not know who the announcers were. I didn't pay that much attention. I heard at least one had the voice of an angel that sounded like me.

They were for the most part the same guys that have been doing it for a few years.  Personally, I think they somewhere between good and great.  It's generally guys that know wrestling pretty well and have enthusiasm.  Are they perfect?  No.  

But I have watched streamed events with no sound and that's not good.  If you disagree, all you have to do is Mute the broadcasters and listen that way.  I have listened to events where there are volunteers running the TW software and we hear all of their conversations.  What guys they like, what they ate, a chat with a random friend/fan who walks up to the table to say hello, etc.  That can be incredibly annoying.  

As for those that comment on what's happening on other mats, again I'm good with that.  Several times Saturday, a certain mat would fail to have sound for extended periods of time.  To hear crowd noise and a little about what was going on, I could listen to an adjacent mat.  I didn't notice a situation where they were ignoring the action on their mat while talking about another.  It could have happened occasionally, but would have been brief.  

All in all, for whatever was paid, it's a pretty big bargain IMO.  Not perfect, but could be MUCH worse and it has gotten better over the last few years.  

My only problem with the Finals broadcast was on the production side.  The crowd noise was too loud and the broadcasters mics were too low, especially Blake Maurer's.  To hear Maurer and Goebel clearly, I had to turn it up much louder than necessary and that could have been fixed with the production, likely mic adjustments in the truck.  The Missouri snafu, wasn't big on its own.  But I guess combine that with the arena mistakes of wrong names and at least one on screen graphic error, it probably does look a bit amateurish.  But so is HS Wrestling!   Better attention to detail, ESPECIALLY in arena should be a given.  But all in all, I think Indiana has a lot to be proud of with its State Tournament.  

Commentating is so much harder than it looks, specially with wrestling where action can go from 0 to 100 so you don't have a lot of time to introduce concepts/info/etc.. since it gets interrupted by the action.

I've done commentating this year for Bellarmine University's home meets and the first dual was a giant wakeup call.

Um I’ll get back to the original point of the post and I think it only needs to be said one more time and then we can move on, but hopefully this gets included in Joni’s email… ticket debacle. 4 tix per wrestler is ridiculous. That doesn’t even cover half of many families. And we don’t even need to rehash the Ticketmaster crash 🙄 The ticket situation from start to finish was a complete disaster. I can’t imagine that Pacers games, or concerts, are that messed up. That whole thing was terrible.

On a positive note, I’m grateful that the IHSAA followed local guidelines, or lack there of, on masks. Many universities are requiring masks at events even if local guidelines don’t require them. It’s all about image. I’m grateful that the IHSAA didn’t feel the need to appease the vocal minority and be the mask nazis that we had last year.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:07 PM, patriotfan said:

Commentating is so much harder than it looks, specially with wrestling where action can go from 0 to 100 so you don't have a lot of time to introduce concepts/info/etc.. since it gets interrupted by the action.

I've done commentating this year for Bellarmine University's home meets and the first dual was a giant wakeup call.

Like coaching, officiating, and most other things...  It's easy until you have to do it yourself

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.