Hyatt Place/House Elevator Debacle

dwise

Friday night at this hotel 18+ people crammed onto an elevator and it was stuck for an hour and a half. The other 3 people in my room were on that elevator, but were one of the first ones on. When they finally got out, they were asked for their room number and I was thinking we might be getting something off our bill. Went to check out this morning and there was a $300 miscellaneous charge and when I questioned the desk, I was told that their GM for the hotel has instructed his people to charge the people on the elevator for having to get them out! I called corporate and now have to call the GM tomorrow to get this hashed out. So, not only was time lost stuck in an elevator, now I have to be on the phone trying to get the charges reversed! 🤬

6 minutes ago, dwise said:

Friday night at this hotel 18+ people crammed onto an elevator and it was stuck for an hour and a half. The other 3 people in my room were on that elevator, but were one of the first ones on. When they finally got out, they were asked for their room number and I was thinking we might be getting something off our bill. Went to check out this morning and there was a $300 miscellaneous charge and when I questioned the desk, I was told that their GM for the hotel has instructed his people to charge the people on the elevator for having to get them out! I called corporate and now have to call the GM tomorrow to get this hashed out. So, not only was time lost stuck in an elevator, now I have to be on the phone trying to get the charges reversed! 🤬

If they were stuck from 10 to 11:30 pm while trying to get tickets, I'm pretty sure that's one of Dante's layers of hell.

2 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

If they were stuck from 10 to 11:30 pm while trying to get tickets, I'm pretty sure that's one of Dante's layers of hell.

They were stuck during that time while I was sitting in the room hitting refresh on Ticketmaster 300 times…

3 hours ago, dwise said:

Meanwhile, I had to climb 10 sets of stairs both ways 2x's because it ended up shutting all the elevator down......I'm gonna send my bill for the hotbox pizza that took way too long and a bill for pain and suffering after climbing the stairs.....that was quite a workout! 

Not nearly the debacle you just posted but here's my family's state weekend hotel story.

This took place in '88 I was a 4th or 5th grader I can't remember for sure. All I know is MD won state the year before and we got 2nd in 88. We were staying at the Embassy Suites in Indy, we were back woods hillbillies in the big city! Obviosly this is before GPS, cell phones and all that jazz so we were working off of maps an not doing a verygood job. We finally get to the hotel before the Friday session but we are pressed for time, there are people pouring out and headed to watch wrestling we get checked in. We had to go up an escalator for some reason and while we are riding up my dad's extra case of beverages drops and busts open. There are cans of adult beverages rolling down the escalator my teenage brother, his buddy and I were chasing cans down the escalator! Looked real good a bunch of kids chasing beers! Elevators were packed so we hoofed it up a bunch of stairs, 18 floors I think. Then we got to the room and the key doesn't work, elevators were still packed so dad hoofs it back down, brings a new key, still doesn't work ugh! Mom is not happy dad is dead tired sends my brother down to tell front desk they come back with maintenance and FINALLY get the door open. 6 people have to hurry up and use the bathroom and get to MSA. It was a pain in the butt but we laugh at it now! I think we made it on time.

Edited by Ahawkeye

35 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

We were staying at the Embassy Suites in Indy, we were back woods hillbillies in the big city! Obviosly this is before GPS, cell phones and all that jazz so we were working off of maps an not doing a verygood job. We finally get to the hotel before the Friday session but we are pressed for time, there are people pouring out and headed to watch wrestling we get checked in. We had to go up an escalator for some reason and while we are riding up my dad's extra case of beverages drops and busts open. There are cans of adult beverages rolling down the escalator my teenage brother, his buddy and I were chasing cans down the escalator! Looked real good a bunch of kids chasing beers! 

As a backwoods hillbilly child growing up myself I just wonder if it happened to be cans of Schlitz beer

10 hours ago, dwise said:

18 people in an elevator is crazy. 

14 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

Not nearly the debacle you just posted but here's my family's state weekend hotel story.

This took place in '88 I was a 4th or 5th grader I can't remember for sure. All I know is MD won state the year before and we got 2nd in 88. We were staying at the Embassy Suites in Indy, we were back woods hillbillies in the big city! Obviosly this is before GPS, cell phones and all that jazz so we were working off of maps an not doing a verygood job. We finally get to the hotel before the Friday session but we are pressed for time, there are people pouring out and headed to watch wrestling we get checked in. We had to go up an escalator for some reason and while we are riding up my dad's extra case of beverages drops and busts open. There are cans of adult beverages rolling down the escalator my teenage brother, his buddy and I were chasing cans down the escalator! Looked real good a bunch of kids chasing beers! Elevators were packed so we hoofed it up a bunch of stairs, 18 floors I think. Then we got to the room and the key doesn't work, elevators were still packed so dad hoofs it back down, brings a new key, still doesn't work ugh! Mom is not happy dad is dead tired sends my brother down to tell front desk they come back with maintenance and FINALLY get the door open. 6 people have to hurry up and use the bathroom and get to MSA. It was a pain in the butt but we laugh at it now! I think we made it on time.

your years are off.  MD won in 86 and was 2nd in 87.  finished 4th in 88.  But that's a hilarious story.  The elevators at Embassy Suites were always a nightmare.  I know a guy that got a gun pulled on him in an Embassy Suites elevator at state during the early 90s

Edited by ReformedPoster

On 2/20/2022 at 11:11 AM, dwise said:

Any update? Interested to hear what you heard today

3 hours ago, dwise said:

Left a voicemail and sent an email and haven’t received a response.

Id be pissed, and hope you come out OK.  That's just wrong.   If you don't get reimbursed,  I would hope nobody would be crazy enough to suggest a Tripadvisor and YELP  bad review of the Hotel and mention poor customer service,  dangerous elevators and  bed bugs.  That would be wrong.

This does remind me about 9 years ago, our team raised money and took our whole team to the state tournament and were staying at the Fairfield, and I was chaperoning kids.  We had two kids get stuck on the elevator, so it wasn't a weight issue.   I was walking by and the kids started screaming, one kid was about ready to cry.   I   went and told the front desk,  and the lady desk didn't believe me that he elevator was stuck.   After about 10 minutes of explaining, I finally convinced her it was stuck.   Eventually,  after a couple of hours  they brought in a fire truck to get the elevator unstuck and get the kids out.    The front desk wasn't happy and was pretty much blaming the kids.   These two kids  were one of he more  squirrly kids on the team, but I dont think they did anything to elevator, but you never know.    We were not charged $300 by Fairfield.

15 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Id be pissed, and hope you come out OK.  That's just wrong.   If you don't get reimbursed,  I would hope nobody would be crazy enough to suggest a Tripadvisor and YELP  bad review of the Hotel and mention poor customer service,  dangerous elevators and  bed bugs.  That would be wrong.

This does remind me about 9 years ago, our team raised money and took our whole team to the state tournament and were staying at the Fairfield, and I was chaperoning kids.  We had two kids get stuck on the elevator, so it wasn't a weight issue.   I was walking by and the kids started screaming, one kid was about ready to cry.   I   went and told the front desk,  and the lady desk didn't believe me that he elevator was stuck.   After about 10 minutes of explaining, I finally convinced her it was stuck.   Eventually,  after a couple of hours  they brought in a fire truck to get the elevator unstuck and get the kids out.    The front desk wasn't happy and was pretty much blaming the kids.   These two kids  were one of he more  squirrly kids on the team, but I dont think they did anything to elevator, but you never know.    We were not charged $300 by Fairfield.

Especially with ALL the wrestling fans that have heard about this story.

dwise, please keep us posted. Gotta be firm firm firm with those hotels they will try to get you for everything they can. Had my go around with a 3rd party and a crappy hotel had to call my CC company to get involved it was a mess. Hope you have better run of it than I did BUT I did come out on top of that. Long story but I won't be dealing with 3rd party anymore.

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

Especially with ALL the wrestling fans that have heard about this story.

dwise, please keep us posted. Gotta be firm firm firm with those hotels they will try to get you for everything they can. Had my go around with a 3rd party and a crappy hotel had to call my CC company to get involved it was a mess. Hope you have better run of it than I did BUT I did come out on top of that. Long story but I won't be dealing with 3rd party anymore.

Yep. I no longer deal with 3rd party companies either. Straight through the hotel no matter what the cost savings. That way no finger pointing can be done. I like to call those old man life lessons.

The Guest Service Manager called me and said they were sticking to those charges since people in my party damaged their elevator. I called Hyatt Corporate and spoke with a Supervisor and she opened a case for me and it should all be settled in some fashion in the next 2-4 business days. Will keep you all posted…

On 2/20/2022 at 7:14 PM, Ahawkeye said:

That was a great memory and I literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD reading this... Those were the times ppl could smoke in restaurants, parents Send kids to the store with Notarized notes to get cigs and Q95 on at the cook out playing with funny smells the air 😂 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

2 hours ago, dwise said:

The Guest Service Manager called me and said they were sticking to those charges since people in my party damaged their elevator. I called Hyatt Corporate and spoke with a Supervisor and she opened a case for me and it should all be settled in some fashion in the next 2-4 business days. Will keep you all posted…

Seems like these decent hotels has cameras in the lobby and even inside the elevators these day.  I’d say if the tape showed they were among the first in the elevator and any inside footages (if it exists) shows they weren’t doing anything to create the problem then the charges shouldn’t be on them.  Most of the issue should be in whoever overloaded the elevator past is maximum limit and/or were jumping around inside if that added to the issue.   .

4 hours ago, dwise said:

Do not be afraid to file a claim with your credit card company!

If there were indeed 18 people on the elevator, were they ALL with "your party" paid with your credit card? 
How many were kids and how many were adults? 
Did the hotel ask everyone to get on a scale to ensure the weight limit was exceeded? 
Were specific signs posted restricting the # of people and the weight limit?
Ask for maintenance records of said elevator.  Find out how has their maintenance contract and call them.
Can they with 100% certainty prove that the elevator did not break for another reason?  Parts do break?   (I used to work for a sports facility that had an elevator and there were times it got stuck with just a couple of  people on it)
Why did it take an hour and a half to get it opened?  Was no one at the hotel familiar with how to open an elevator when stuck between floors?  There typically is a key that can open the door.  People can get off at that point, even if they need help if too high (3-4" between floors, for example).
Ask what their policy is for such situations in writing?  What's the responsibility of hotel maintenance?  Where does it state there can charge the customer?  Or are they making it up?
How many people did they charge?   Do they charge the first people on the elevator or only the ones that piled in to "exceed the weight limit"?  How do they know who was who?  
How can the first people on be held accountable for others piling in?
If this is a problem, why do they not provide someone at the elevator entrance to control the # of people?  
If the damage were that much, why were police not called?  

I'm no attorney, but these are questions I'd be asking in a very confident manner.  I suspect that Hyatt Corporate will remove the charges, but if they don't tell them in no uncertain terms they can deal with your bank that issued the credit card.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.