Full rundown by semi-state

maligned

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

My opinion based on my observations - Academies are not some secret ingredient to that sausage.   Don’t let anyone tell you it is.  The secret ingredient is the extra practice outside of regular school practice.  Working on technic in small groups.  Getting better at your craft. This can be done by your school or club coaches.  Take Drake Buchanan. Started wrestling in elementary school. Between Contenders, CIA and Red Cobra he has attended less than 25 sessions in all those years. Most of those being practices for Duals teams he was asked to be on.  It was the HS and club coaches spending time with Drake and 2-3 of his teammates in small groups teaching new technics and breaking back habits.  Over and over and over again.   Did you know Drake is a righty?  Where did that wicked left leg lead and attack come from. It came from a HS coach seeing that he was able to attack to the left and a summer of “Do it again!  Do it again!  Hand cupped! Move it down! Again!” After the “Summer of love”. Drake went into 8th grade with a left leg lead.  That is impact.  The extra time in small groups.  A room packed with kids and 2-3 coaches can’t make that impact.  You don’t need “Great” wrestling partners every day. No question it helps.   You can to go live at a live night or a tournament to see what works and what needs fixed.  Then spend the time fixing it.  Why go to another all day Saturday open when you would improve more with 2 hours of technic training.  Sure it helps to have “Great” partners.  Lots of things help.  But doing something wrong over and over again against a “Great” partner doesn’t make it better.  Now I admit, getting the coach and the 2-3 other wrestling partners that want to get better is another conversation.  But it is the time spent on technic, actively getting better that is the key to improving.    As I said In my opinion.    

Center Grove in general is doing great things.  When I decided to open up The Fort and wanted to try and do "Meet the Coach" I sent and email to a huge list of coaches. I got some responses and 2 of the first ones were Coach Kelly of Center Grove and Coach Schoettle of Perry Meridian. Both those coaches came and ran a Meet the Coach. Even though I didn't have a ton of wrestlers there it didn't bother either one of those coaches or the staff they brought. I gained so much respect for them, which really showed me why those programs have such success. I have no clue what Center Grove has going on at the High School level as far as coaching goes, but I know this,  Coach Kelly and the fact you run Middle School State at your place tells me you might as well be an academy compared to what most schools have for their wrestlers. Many coaches are lay coaches or can only dedicate their life to coaching 4 months or so out of the year before their wife wants to divorce them, their family falls apart, or their job goes to hell. That is where an academy comes in. Much of it is really about mat time and if there are some quality partners to get different looks off of. If you have ever coached in a room you know that many times wrestlers will gravitate to a certain wrestler for drills and live wrestling and sooner or later that starts to be counter productive for both of them.  Getting more looks and different partners is an absolute no brainer. Live nights are awesome and I am obviously a huge fan of them. But having different and good drill partners is also huge. Also getting wrestlers in front of different coaching styles to me is not a bad thing because different techniques work for different wrestlers and body styles. We can argue later about what good or bad technique is. To me for the most part that is where the head coach of a program comes and decides what drill series and technique they think is best for their wrestlers. 

Bottom line is academies can be great supplements for your programs and help fill holes that just are pretty impossible to fill at programs without insane (obsessed) people like us that live and breath the sport. I honestly tip my hat to any coach at all levels that is willing to do what we do. I have been in the trenches for 2 decades with limited amount of time to dedicate to this awesome sport because my career was just starting or didn't fit the schedule. So I am not taking anything at all away from the efforts or ability of others. 

16 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

Does any other part of the state have wrestled leave like NWI 

113: Resendez illinois big class runner up 

120: Acuna Illinois SQ 

126: Lemley illinois Champ

also in illinois 

Tsirtsis Munster (ssq) 

Drouias Cedar lake 

Perez Munster 

You have a good point Mike,    and it seems like there's a trend for some top end talent moving to Illinois.   The question is why the Illinois competition looks better or more provocative to these individuals so much to compensate for these kids commuting through the busy traffic?

Is it better exposure, better competition, or possibly the travel limitations put on Indiana schools imposed by IHSAA?  Are sure maligned has an analytical perspective on this.

32 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

You have a good point Mike,    and it seems like there's a trend for some top end talent moving to Illinois.   The question is why the Illinois competition looks better or more provocative to these individuals so much to compensate for these kids commuting through the busy traffic?

Is it better exposure, better competition, or possibly the travel limitations put on Indiana schools imposed by IHSAA?  Are sure maligned has an analytical perspective on this.

It helps Mt. Carmel to have Alex Tsirtsis there, guys want to wrestle for him.

I don't believe there is any secret formula to producing top level wrestlers. There are many ways to 'skin a cat'.

But to have a top level HS program, a good coach that is willing & able to dedicate time year round to the program is a must. Elementary & Middle school programs as well as off-season stuff for any wrestlers that are so inclined are invaluable.

As far as individuals go, hard work & dedication to the sport year round is clearly a must. So school &/or area tradition definitely helps in having the individuals that choose wrestling as their main sport at a young age. Having parents that are willing & able to give the time & money necessary for the kids development is also a deciding factor.

The elite wrestling clubs are certainly a good place for a kid who has the desire to get better, especially if he doesn't attend a school that has a tradition rich program. But to state any other way is "the old way" is a little short sighted IMO. Elite wrestling clubs are simply the new way that is very effective. They will undoubtedly continue to produce top level kids going forward.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.