03 MD v 22 CP - Dual Meet

purdue02

Having coached against both of these teams, I can tell you that EMD 220 and HVY would  win over CP.  The 220 was a spladle king and might get a fall over Cruz.  Macke would have beaten Frazier and Lehman would have won over Tattini.  I see CP only winning 5 maybe 6 if they were lucking.  That 2003 team was legit the best.

2 hours ago, navy80 said:

103/106 - Bittner (SQ) MD v Jendreas (2nd) CP

Jendreas takes this by decision. CP up 3-0.

112/113 - Williams (6th) MD v Nowaczyk (SSQ) CP

Williams takes this by decision. Tied 3-3.

119/120 - Hillenbrand (SSQ) MD v Cruz (SSQ) CP

Swing match. Both are solid wrestlers. No score update.

125/126 - Macke MD (3rd) v Frazier (1st) CP

Swing match. Macke is the best to never win state. I can see Macke OR Frazier winning in a 2-1 or 3-2 match. No score update.

130/132 - Coughlin MD (2nd) v Bahl (2nd) CP

Coughlin wins here.  MD up 6-3.

135/138 - Scott MD (3rd) v Mendez (1st) CP

Mendez tech falls Scott. CP up 8-6

140/145 - Lehman MD (SSQ) v Tattini (SQ) CP

Lehman was funky. Tattini could have placed yesterday. too close to call. Nod goes too Tattini. CP up 11-6.

145/152 - Weinzapfel MD (1st) v Goin (1st) CP

Weinst wins here. I'll go with decision since they're both state champs but I could see a major or fall. CP up 11-9

152/160 - Nosko MD (1st) v Goodwin (4th) CP

Nosko wins with a major here. Although I could see it only being a decision. MD takes the lead 12-11.

160/170 - Wildeman MD (1st) v White (SSQ) CP

Wildeman majors White. I could see White keeping it close too or Wildeman getting the fall or TF. MD up 16-11.

171/182 - Maurer MD (1st) v Cruz (2nd) CP

Maurer was the king of close matches. He wins by decision. MD up 19-11.

189/195 - Coughlin MD (SSQ) v Clark (5th) CP

Clark wins by major. Coughlin was good. he could keep it close though. MD still up 19-15.

215/220 - Unfried MD (SQ) v Clark (4th) CP

Unfried was better than a SQ here. But these Clark boys are GOOD! Clark wins by major. TIED 19-19.

275/285 - Schwartz MD v Begley (SQ) CP

Begley wins via dec here. CP up 22-19.

I have two swing matches. Let's split the and it would be 25-22 CP wins. However, the 2003 Mater Dei team had Mater Dei Magic which meant they rarely got pinned and could pull pins out of their butts. I think their magic would make this an exciting dual with lots of upsets. This would be a dual where MD and CP both win 5 each out of 10 duals. 

Yea I had it coming down to the heavies as well, pretty close to my match by match prediction.

We can talk about hypotheticals all day but the facts are…

CP had more placers, more in the semis, more in the finals, scored more points.

MD had 1 more champ.

lets not forget that CP beat 2nd place Brownsburg (which is arguably a top 10 team of all time) by 73 POINTS. If you take away jesse from cp and give Brownsburg Miller and he wins a state title, Crown Point would still win. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFanMD said:

Mater Dei Magic was nothing more than fear of the Goebel/Helfrich Regime.  It used to be if you got stuck the penalty would be 25 laps of shame after practice.  No had the time and energy to run those steps after a grueling practice.  

I look at that gym and those steps and wonder how I did that. God knows I can't anymore. Funny thing was, Goebel would be right there with you, maybe not on the lead lap but he did the same steps and same laps!

13 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Mater Dei was a true team if I recall. All their kids on the 2003 team were Mater Dei kids. It was a LeBron super team. 

what about Crown Point this year?

At minimum I think they all were at least at Crown Point by high school. And spin zone, how insane would team be if they had Josh Barr and Seth Mendoza? Barr very nearly went there, and there was at least smoke that Mendoza could end up there. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

At minimum I think they all were at least at Crown Point by high school. And spin zone, how insane would team be if they had Josh Barr and Seth Mendoza? Barr very nearly went there, and there was at least smoke that Mendoza could end up there. 

Possibly the number one team in the nation!!!!

2 hours ago, navy80 said:

Mater Dei was a true team if I recall. All their kids on the 2003 team were Mater Dei kids. It was a LeBron super team. 

what about Crown Point this year?

They all had CP on their singlet, they all have never attended another high school other then Crown Point 

Side note Damien Resendez who is also Crown point was in the finals in illinois Big class 

Anthony and Andrew Isek are from CP and were both 5th in Colorado 

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

They all had CP on their singlet, they all have never attended another high school other then Crown Point 

Side note Damien Resendez who is also Crown point was in the finals in illinois Big class 

Anthony and Andrew Isek are from CP and were both 5th in Colorado 

Dang. So where was the turning point when Crown Point went from mediocre to elite? Coaches? Athletes? What can other programs learn from them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.