160/170 - Wildeman MD (1st) v White (SSQ) CP

171/182 - Maurer MD (1st) v Cruz (2nd) CP

189/195 - Coughlin MD (SSQ) v Clark (5th) CP

215/220 - Unfried MD (SQ) v Clark (4th) CP

275/285 - Schwartz MD v Begley (SQ) CP

Jendreas CP 3-0
Williams Tied 3-3
Cruz CP 6-3 (flipped a coin)
Macke Tied 6-6 (One of the best ever not to win; blocked by some all-time greats)
Coughlin MD 9-6
Mendez Tied 9-9
Lehman MD 12-9
Weinzapfel MD 15-9 (tough call - flipped another coin)
Nosko MD 18-9
Wildeman MD 21-9
Maurer MD 24-9
Clark MD 24-12 (close to 50-50)
Clark MD 24-15 (definitely not a given)
Begley MD 24-18

Definitely see bonus from Maurer and Mendez, though Scott might keep it to a Major.  Lots of swing matches, but looking at the lineup I see MD winning most of the time.  I'm guessing I'll be in the minority here.

3 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Jendreas CP 3-0
Williams Tied 3-3
Cruz CP 6-3 (flipped a coin)
Macke Tied 6-6 (One of the best ever not to win; blocked by some all-time greats)
Coughlin MD 9-6
Mendez Tied 9-9
Lehman MD 12-9
Weinzapfel MD 15-9 (tough call - flipped another coin)
Nosko MD 18-9
Wildeman MD 21-9
Maurer MD 24-9
Clark MD 24-12 (close to 50-50)
Clark MD 24-15 (definitely not a given)
Begley MD 24-18

Definitely see bonus from Maurer and Mendez, though Scott might keep it to a Major.  Lots of swing matches, but looking at the lineup I see MD winning most of the time.  I'm guessing I'll be in the minority here.

Is there any footage of the Mater Dei guys not named Maurer or coughlin?

I don't see Weinzapfel being a coin flip, he was a 2xer who should have been a 3xer had the ref called the pin on A.T.

He may have even scored bonus in this match. But, CP deserves ALL THE credit tonight and going forward they scored an ungodly amount of points.  

Edited by Ahawkeye

That years Coughlin, Weinzapfel, and Nosko are worth considering as competitive matches along with Maurer.  Macke is to far behind based on the competition.  I’ll credit Coughlin with being a stud in progress if we are just going by that season.  

Edited by MattM

9 minutes ago, FortunatlyGreat said:

Is there any footage of the Mater Dei guys not named Maurer or coughlin?

Yes look up on youtube IHSAA state wrestling finals 2003, there are 2 videos of the whole finals (part 1 and 2) Good stuff trust me, I know how it ends and it still gives me goosebumps!

Edited by Ahawkeye

3 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

I don't see Weinzapfel being a coin flip, he was a 2xer who should have been a 3xer had the ref called yhe pin on A.T.

He may have even dcored bonus in this match. But, CP deserves ALL THE credit tonight anf going forward they scored an ungodly amount of points.  

Yea these young pups don’t realize how good Weinzapfel was! 

12 minutes ago, Jayruss said:

Yea these young pups don’t realize how good Weinzapfel was! 

I remember him being very good.  Perhaps there was a little recency bias with Goin.   

Aaron Scott was very good as well.  He lost by TF to Alex Tsirtsis, but finished 3rd.
Coughlin finished 2nd to Andrae Hernandez
Macke lost 5-2 to Angel Escobedo

Edited by SWINfan

28 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I remember him being very good.  Perhaps there was a little recency bias with Goin.   

Aaron Scott was very good as well.  He lost by TF to Alex Tsirtsis, but finished 3rd.
Coughlin finished 2nd to Andrae Hernandez
Macke lost 5-2 to Angel Escobedo

Macke is the perennial winner of best who never won it, and Brandon James has a stake there as well.

103/106 - Bittner (SQ) MD v Jendreas (2nd) CP

Jendreas takes this by decision. CP up 3-0.

112/113 - Williams (6th) MD v Nowaczyk (SSQ) CP

Williams takes this by decision. Tied 3-3.

119/120 - Hillenbrand (SSQ) MD v Cruz (SSQ) CP

Swing match. Both are solid wrestlers. No score update.

125/126 - Macke MD (3rd) v Frazier (1st) CP

Swing match. Macke is the best to never win state. I can see Macke OR Frazier winning in a 2-1 or 3-2 match. No score update.

130/132 - Coughlin MD (2nd) v Bahl (2nd) CP

Coughlin wins here.  MD up 6-3.

135/138 - Scott MD (3rd) v Mendez (1st) CP

Mendez tech falls Scott. CP up 8-6

140/145 - Lehman MD (SSQ) v Tattini (SQ) CP

Lehman was funky. Tattini could have placed yesterday. too close to call. Nod goes too Tattini. CP up 11-6.

145/152 - Weinzapfel MD (1st) v Goin (1st) CP

Weinst wins here. I'll go with decision since they're both state champs but I could see a major or fall. CP up 11-9

152/160 - Nosko MD (1st) v Goodwin (4th) CP

Nosko wins with a major here. Although I could see it only being a decision. MD takes the lead 12-11.

Wildeman majors White. I could see White keeping it close too or Wildeman getting the fall or TF. MD up 16-11.

Maurer was the king of close matches. He wins by decision. MD up 19-11.

Clark wins by major. Coughlin was good. he could keep it close though. MD still up 19-15.

Unfried was better than a SQ here. But these Clark boys are GOOD! Clark wins by major. TIED 19-19.

Begley wins via dec here. CP up 22-19.

I have two swing matches. Let's split the and it would be 25-22 CP wins. However, the 2003 Mater Dei team had Mater Dei Magic which meant they rarely got pinned and could pull pins out of their butts. I think their magic would make this an exciting dual with lots of upsets. This would be a dual where MD and CP both win 5 each out of 10 duals. 

I know nostalgia is great but looking back outside of Mauer and Coughlin what any of the other Mater Dei guys National level placements home of those guys wrestled at the next level?

What’s scarier is that 03 team was at their peak. 

CP returns 

2 champs 

3 Runners 

2 4th placers 

1 5th placer 

and will be adding a nationally ranked Middle school wrestler who has already  beat multiple high school champs 

41 minutes ago, navy80 said:

103/106 - Bittner (SQ) MD v Jendreas (2nd) CP

Jendreas takes this by decision. CP up 3-0.

112/113 - Williams (6th) MD v Nowaczyk (SSQ) CP

Williams takes this by decision. Tied 3-3.

119/120 - Hillenbrand (SSQ) MD v Cruz (SSQ) CP

Swing match. Both are solid wrestlers. No score update.

125/126 - Macke MD (3rd) v Frazier (1st) CP

Swing match. Macke is the best to never win state. I can see Macke OR Frazier winning in a 2-1 or 3-2 match. No score update.

130/132 - Coughlin MD (2nd) v Bahl (2nd) CP

Coughlin wins here.  MD up 6-3.

135/138 - Scott MD (3rd) v Mendez (1st) CP

Mendez tech falls Scott. CP up 8-6

140/145 - Lehman MD (SSQ) v Tattini (SQ) CP

Lehman was funky. Tattini could have placed yesterday. too close to call. Nod goes too Tattini. CP up 11-6.

145/152 - Weinzapfel MD (1st) v Goin (1st) CP

Weinst wins here. I'll go with decision since they're both state champs but I could see a major or fall. CP up 11-9

152/160 - Nosko MD (1st) v Goodwin (4th) CP

Nosko wins with a major here. Although I could see it only being a decision. MD takes the lead 12-11.

Wildeman majors White. I could see White keeping it close too or Wildeman getting the fall or TF. MD up 16-11.

Maurer was the king of close matches. He wins by decision. MD up 19-11.

Clark wins by major. Coughlin was good. he could keep it close though. MD still up 19-15.

Unfried was better than a SQ here. But these Clark boys are GOOD! Clark wins by major. TIED 19-19.

Begley wins via dec here. CP up 22-19.

I have two swing matches. Let's split the and it would be 25-22 CP wins. However, the 2003 Mater Dei team had Mater Dei Magic which meant they rarely got pinned and could pull pins out of their butts. I think their magic would make this an exciting dual with lots of upsets. This would be a dual where MD and CP both win 5 each out of 10 duals. 

That MD magic with Goebel and Helfrich in the corner… talk about having fam advantage! But, I still believe CP has the W over the West Side powerhouse. 

Craig Macke 4th, 2nd 2nd 3rd

state losses 

Geraldo Quiroz goshen 6-2

Thaddeus Douglas Columbus East 12-2

Aaron Clark Franklin 4-3

Angel Escobedo 13-2

Angel Escobedo 5-2 

Logan Frazier 3rd, 2nd Champ 

State losses 

Chaney Schoeff 6-3 

Sergio Lemley 3-2

**sergio just won his 3rd 2x IL 1x indiana beat #5 in the country for a title, has been ranked #1 

i am not sure this is a toss up I think it’s pretty clean cut. 

The fans are the winners!!! As a casualty to Mauer at team state vs the team you speak of, that EMD team was unreal but CP is every bit as good IMHO..CP too has that EMD Magic ppl speak of in regards to pulling out close matches and not giving up pins.. That's a trait every great team has but these 2 teams are Apex predators among other Apex predators... BrownsBurg is one best teams I've ever seen also.. Unreal comp and this is the reason our state is evolving as a whole, great comp breeds success state wide.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

38 minutes ago, ontherise219 said:

Craig Macke 4th, 2nd 2nd 3rd

state losses 

Geraldo Quiroz goshen 6-2

Thaddeus Douglas Columbus East 12-2

Aaron Clark Franklin 4-3

Angel Escobedo 13-2

Angel Escobedo 5-2 

Logan Frazier 3rd, 2nd Champ 

State losses 

Chaney Schoeff 6-3 

Sergio Lemley 3-2

**sergio just won his 3rd 2x IL 1x indiana beat #5 in the country for a title, has been ranked #1 

i am not sure this is a toss up I think it’s pretty clean cut. 

I think Frazier too athletic and technical for Macke.. That's where Macke won, was by always in great position, fundamentally sound ever where but wasn't the quickest or strongest.. It was the guys that could blend superior speed and match his technical prowess...

Also we need to take into account that the sport has evolved, you didn't see the Funk we see today back then, it just was getting started, but the funk rolls, variations of leg passes, shin whizzers, TD Def in general, being more common for athletes attacking both sides of the body (Big guys have gotten way better in this area Allred,Parris etc)and overall pedigree of the sport has grown IMHO..

It was those EMD teams that trained year round like RTC and academies do today that had the ahead of the learning curve in the state... It speaks to their Rich roots that they are still talked about to this day with the current record breaking teams of today that are ranked nationally...

Macke will always be one of the best to win it along with my best friend and team mate from that era and their very similar in their Skillset and even same weight with Angel in 03... Jaggers (210-11)also had trouble with faster guys that could negate his technical advantages and advantageous positions.. Jaggers was phenomenal out of the tie and could snap your head through the mat, ankle pick you, butt duck your face into the mat also and rarely wrestled also where unless forced.. But in space vs Angel like Macke , the speed and not being able to tie up the faster guys is when they were beaten rarely...After Jaggers beat Early for FS state title, Early realized Every Takedown he given up vs Jaggers what when he had tied up with Jaggers wrestling Jaggers match losing 16-8..

Like all great wrestlers do, he made adjustments not excuses,

(Just like Macke did between his first match with Angel)when they rematched at HS state qtr finals next season, every time Matt reached to tie up (giving up his head hands/ D), Gralan level changed and hit blast doubles and whatever else he wanted to avenging his loss with the identical score 16-8...

I'll take Frazier 3-1 over Macke late TD

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Mater Dei Magic was nothing more than fear of the Goebel/Helfrich Regime.  It used to be if you got stuck the penalty would be 25 laps of shame after practice.  No had the time and energy to run those steps after a grueling practice.  

Edited by PhillyFanMD

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

I know nostalgia is great but looking back outside of Mauer and Coughlin what any of the other Mater Dei guys National level placements home of those guys wrestled at the next level?

What’s scarier is that 03 team was at their peak. 

CP returns 

2 champs 

3 Runners 

2 4th placers 

1 5th placer 

and will be adding a nationally ranked Middle school wrestler who has already  beat multiple high school champs 

I know they lose Mendez , but I think CP will be a better team next year , Scary .

Edited by M109R

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.