The real team target for "best ever" is 161

maligned

41 minutes ago, Butt Drag said:

My bad I missed Zeke Seltzer, but in other thread I said Mizzou and he are going to be a great fit. Smith will maximize his creativity 

it will be years before you can assess this class/season to compare in the long run. A great season though. There is no denying that 2003 year was impressively & uniquely  top heavy across the board in college

Yes, it would be astonishing if the post high school success of the group we saw last night matched the group you mentioned. But in terms of high school quality, we saw Mendez, Carroll, Seltzer in the same category as Hump/Angel/Tsirtsis, we saw Frazier/Baumann in the Weinzapfel/Andrae Hernandez category, and numerous others in the O'Brien/Gralan Early category. In terms of high school "stoppers" that blocked big scoring, I think it was just as deep of a tournament as EMD faced.

58 minutes ago, maligned said:

Yes, it would be astonishing if the post high school success of the group we saw last night matched the group you mentioned. But in terms of high school quality, we saw Mendez, Carroll, Seltzer in the same category as Hump/Angel/Tsirtsis, we saw Frazier/Baumann in the Weinzapfel/Andrae Hernandez category, and numerous others in the O'Brien/Gralan Early category. In terms of high school "stoppers" that blocked big scoring, I think it was just as deep of a tournament as EMD faced.

O'Brien being a 3xer, Carroll vs Jake would've been fun to watch!

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

2 hours ago, Butt Drag said:

My bad I missed Zeke Seltzer, but in other thread I said Mizzou and he are going to be a great fit. Smith will maximize his creativity 

it will be years before you can assess this class/season to compare in the long run. A great season though. There is no denying that 2003 year was impressively & uniquely  top heavy across the board in college

Zeke Seltzer, Brody Baumann, Gabe Sollars, and Drake Buchanan will all be solid in college as well.

Coming from a Belmont fan

EMD has always been on top of Indiana wrestling no doubt , with that comes the argument of the best team in Indiana in 2003.  You can’t compare teams from different years! You can only compare numbers!  And CP destroyed the number.  I know it’s hard for EMD to swallow that, so beat the number!

Might even be broke next year with Cp returning  2 champs, 3 runner ups ,2  4th , 5 th,  A very good incoming class is expected to to bring more to the state run!  Not to Mention what Brownsburg has coming back !  These two teams will be hard to beat next year. 

The number wasn't just beaten, it was destroyed. Crown Point has a special special team. What they did was amazing. Records get broken. Mater Dei held it for almost 20 years. The depth and quality of Indiana wrestling seems to just keep getting better and from a fan's standpoint that's awesome. To see Jesse Mendez, Zeke Seltzer, Brody Baumann, Gabe Sollars and others go out and perform on the big stage was great. I can't wait to see what they do in college. The 2022 Crown Point team is the best ever, for now. That's nothing for Mater Dei to be upset about. Indiana wrestling is growing and getting better every year. We should all be happy about that. 

When a team gets on a roll, it is awesome to watch.  The momentum that the team builds from Friday night can carry over into Saturday and guys can win matches that you wouldn't normally expect them to win.  Cody goodwin snatching victory in OT, William Clark fighting off his back to eventually win by pin, and Paul Clark winning a nail biter on Friday night helped create that Red wave the rest of the weekend.  Everybody expected Mendez and Frazier to win (and Goodwin) but those unsung guys are the ones that get lifted up and start winning when they aren't expected to that helps a team set records.  CP is certainly a special team and they dominated all year long.  Congratulations to them.

On 2/20/2022 at 4:50 PM, WrestleMan said:

The number wasn't just beaten, it was destroyed. Crown Point has a special special team. What they did was amazing. Records get broken. Mater Dei held it for almost 20 years. The depth and quality of Indiana wrestling seems to just keep getting better and from a fan's standpoint that's awesome. To see Jesse Mendez, Zeke Seltzer, Brody Baumann, Gabe Sollars and others go out and perform on the big stage was great. I can't wait to see what they do in college. The 2022 Crown Point team is the best ever, for now. That's nothing for Mater Dei to be upset about. Indiana wrestling is growing and getting better every year. We should all be happy about that. 

Absolutely one of the best posts in all of these "debates".  I'm from the north and have always, and still do, consider Mater Dei to be the most consistent program decade after decade.  With that in mind, what I witnessed on Friday and Saturday was without a doubt the best performance I have ever seen.  I have been coming to these finals since I was a seventh grader watching Palmer win the state championship when it was held at Southport.  No team performance has left me utterly amazed like what we just had the pleasure to witness. 

On 2/19/2022 at 9:42 PM, Butt Drag said:

Have to agree - what people forget is that Evansville Mater Dei had to deal with unprecedented generational talent that year that were destroying people and went on to college success in;

112 Reece Humphrey, Lawrence North

125 Angel Escobedo, Griffith 10 61-0* 

130 Andrae Hernandez, Griffith 11 61-0*

135 Alex Tsirtsis, Griffith

Alex Dolly, Mishawaka  and 215 Jake O’Brien, Franklin Central were also pretty good. That GRALAN EARLY was tough as well.

I don't see that in this class yet, other than Mendez 

113- Jackson (future 3xer?)

120- Leavell (future 3xer?)

132- Seltzer 3xer

160- Conway 2xer

170- Baumann 2xer

195- Sollars 2xer

220- Carroll (likely 2xer)

Our depth as a state is only getting deeper. CP still had some impressive new era talent to deal with on their way to a new record 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 9:43 AM, Steven Sandefer said:

113- Jackson (future 3xer?)

120- Leavell (future 3xer?)

132- Seltzer 3xer

160- Conway 2xer

170- Baumann 2xer

195- Sollars 2xer

220- Carroll (likely 2xer)

Our depth as a state is only getting deeper. CP still had some impressive new era talent to deal with on their way to a new record 

deprh is one thing, top dogs is another, the 2003 class had at least 9 ncaa all-Americans from 5 guys, and 3 World Team members . If the group you post meets 1/3 that I will eat my 🎩 hat

112 Reece Humphrey, Lawrence North

• USA World Team Member 
  • 2x All-American including runner-up 
  • 3x national USA freestyle wrestling champion

125 Angel Escobedo, Griffith 10 61-0* 

• NCAA Champ
  • 4-time NCAA All-American
  • USA World Team member made it to 2013 bronze medal match 

130 Andrae Hernandez, Griffith 11 61-0*

• NCAA All-American
  • Win near 100 college matches 

135 Alex Tsirtsis, Griffith

• 4x state champ
  • NCAA All-American 
  • Won 96 ncaa matches 

Alex Dolly

• 4x ncaa qualifier at Northern Iowa 
  • World team member - 9th place for Ireland

Jake O'Brien - MMA and 3x state champ 

Matt Coughlin

• ncaa all-American 
Edited by Butt Drag

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.