Classes??

mdtodd

Everyone knows not to talk politics, religion and class wrestling but with every post about how bad tickets are or the collapse of the NC SS. I thought I might change the pace. And for the record I still love Indianas one class wrestling tournament. But after seeing(everyone can name one)some of the first rd SS, round to go, and Friday night matches the last few years send kids home that shouldn’t be. Now watching Flo promote virginia(6 classes!), missouri(4 classes) or even Arkansas! It makes them look like studs when they are wrestling kids that wouldn’t make it out of the sectional in Indiana. But they still pump them up all the same. It makes me wonder, would it benefit Indiana(growth of the sport, athletes getting college looks, etc) to have classes in the wrestling tournament? Do any other states have classes and then an ultimate tourney with all the champs? Might be a way to evolve to something new, grow the sport, but keep the old timers happy with a true champ. Has there been any real discussion about this? Maybe roll it out when they sanction girls wrestling? This is probably been kicked around 100x so interested to hear the general consensus.

At what point does the ISWA and the coaches association continue to push their own agenda for Indiana wrestling. They are already doing it in dual team state, maybe take another step? I would like to think they are already generating revenue that could be used to expand into other areas. Maybe an individual classed tourney with wrestle backs? If im not mistaken, I dont believe high school band is governed by the IHSAA, I might have even heard they dropped them…. and they seem to be just fine without them.

This is a very polarizing subject, if ISWCA wants to make a classed individual state tournament I'm cool with it but we need to leave THIS tournament alone. 

That is about as civil of an answer you are going to get on this subject. I am for keeping one class. I hear you but I don't agree with you.

29 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Next Saturday is 1a and 2a individual state..

We may eventually have to turn that one into those not able to easily afford and not within 40min of a strong academy individual state.   Yeah the title will be a work in progress.  We are seeing some solid 1A & 2A individuals at regular state but the majority happen to have had the means to be a regular academy kid for several years to supplement their school training.  I think the 1A/2A numbers at semi-state and state could actually grow some over the next decade but mostly from areas that fit the above description. And hopefully by doing so at least those wrestlers can maybe persuade a few more other solid kids to stay with their home school rather than heading one of the top 3A/4A programs down the road for high school.  

Edited by MattM

7 hours ago, mdtodd said:

Everyone knows not to talk politics, religion and class wrestling but with every post about how bad tickets are or the collapse of the NC SS. I thought I might change the pace. And for the record I still love Indianas one class wrestling tournament. But after seeing(everyone can name one)some of the first rd SS, round to go, and Friday night matches the last few years send kids home that shouldn’t be. Now watching Flo promote virginia(6 classes!), missouri(4 classes) or even Arkansas! It makes them look like studs when they are wrestling kids that wouldn’t make it out of the sectional in Indiana. But they still pump them up all the same. It makes me wonder, would it benefit Indiana(growth of the sport, athletes getting college looks, etc) to have classes in the wrestling tournament? Do any other states have classes and then an ultimate tourney with all the champs? Might be a way to evolve to something new, grow the sport, but keep the old timers happy with a true champ. Has there been any real discussion about this? Maybe roll it out when they sanction girls wrestling? This is probably been kicked around 100x so interested to hear the general consensus.

Arizona has classes.   Then they try to have a tournament of Champions (privately ran … not through the HS association) but they have had a problem with not all of the champs wanting to participate.   Not even half sometimes… 

9 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Both sides appreciate each other more than they ever have, that’s for sure. That’s why @UncleJimmy invites me to the thread every time. 

@UncleJimmy isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these tagging folks.  He tags me in every single post that has to do with Gifs & Memes, County talk, Penn stuff, Da Region, mean streets of Muncie . 

He’s like my Harry and I’m his Lloyd Indianamat posters. When was the last time he had a serious post ? Anyone … it was 2016  ! 😂😂😂

Freezing Jim Carrey GIF 

59 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

@UncleJimmy isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these tagging folks.  He tags me in every single post that has to do with Gifs & Memes, County talk, Penn stuff, Da Region, mean streets of Muncie . 

He’s like my Harry and I’m his Lloyd Indianamat posters. When was the last time he had a serious post ? Anyone … it was 2016  ! 😂😂😂

Freezing Jim Carrey GIF 

Don’t try to downplay the significance of our relationship. That’s just mean spirited. 

If I wished for anything it would be for more people outside of indiana to understand our tournament and how it works.

I'm not for class wrestling but I hate going to national events and hearing fans/coaches/flo talk about kids and how they didn't qualify for state... but yet they beat kids from other places that did.

Now this is getting better.....

kids like Carroll, Mendez, Khawaja and a long list of others are starting to turn the tide. 

Ps get rid of the ihsaa travel ban!

3 minutes ago, formercollegekid said:

If I wished for anything it would be for more people outside of indiana to understand our tournament and how it works.

I'm not for class wrestling but I hate going to national events and hearing fans/coaches/flo talk about kids and how they didn't qualify for state... but yet they beat kids from other places that did.

Now this is getting better.....

kids like Carroll, Mendez, Khawaja and a long list of others are starting to turn the tide. 

Ps get rid of the ihsaa travel ban!

the 300 mile rule needs to go away. It is time to allow the best of Indiana to compete against the best from across the country. I do not know why it was put into place, but it needs to go away,  in all sports.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.