State Finals 2022- Notable Matches, Upsets, etc.

navy80

1 minute ago, base said:

Christopher Newman (Mt Vernon) trips Crown Point Cody Goodwin to his back momentarily, then works a power half.  Goodwin reverses, but it's 5-2 Newman after 1

Dangerous match here for Crown Point!

Newman is good.  But gotta wrestle for 6 minutes.  Let's see if he can finish!

1 minute ago, Caleb Spires said:

Wow, could just be recent bias, but Goodwin and Newman may have been one of the best Friday matches I’ve seen. 

It was very good.  Newman made the mistake, in my opinion, of trying to avoid getting taken down and not staying offensive in the last :30.  Ends up giving up a takedown while on his bike.  Great effort by Newman, just couldn't quite finish it.

152 Quarterfinalists:

Betz (Western)

Jones (Warren Central)

Ruhlman (Bloomington South)

Rinehart (Zionsville)

Goin (CP)

Cicciarelli (BB)

Glithero (Roncalli)

May (EMD)

Looks like maybe they are holding other mats until each weight class finishes up?

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

It was very good.  Newman made the mistake, in my opinion, of trying to avoid getting taken down and not staying offensive in the last :30.  Ends up giving up a takedown while on his bike.  Great effort by Newman, just couldn't quite finish it.

Agree with you here - he was doing great taking the attack to Goodwin

Newman is a Competitor , he had a great Season. I want to give him an Applaud.

I talked to him at their first tournament of the year. (Edgewood)  He said it is my

Senior year and I'm going after the Title.

Great try Young Man that was a match to remember. Thanks for your Efforts in 

this great sport, it has been exciting watching you these last 4 years. Good Luck

in your Future.   BigToe19 , avid fan!! 

11 minutes ago, busstogate said:

Blown stalling call.  Dude was beeping like a forklift.

A Stall call would have probably helped Newman.  It would have been his first and likely changed the way he wrestled the rest of the way.  Can't say one way or another, but there's a solid chance if he stopped retreating, he wouldn't have gotten taken down.  CP should thank the ref for not calling stalling.

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

A Stall call would have probably helped Newman.  It would have been his first and likely changed the way he wrestled the rest of the way.  Can't say one way or another, but there's a solid chance if he stopped retreating, he wouldn't have gotten taken down.  CP should thank the ref for not calling stalling.

Make no mistake, Newman was killing it up to that point.  Very exciting match. He had a great reshot just prior.

Edited by busstogate

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.