Wristbands Instead of Lanyards-Am I the Only One?

nkraus

Sigh....Not to mention if you have a 106 and 113. Or just 2 weights right next to each other. You have a guy warming up by himself while his other coaches are coaching the 106. Not saying that this is a huge deal to warm up by yourself, but it is another supervision issue. Remember when a kid was unsupervised at the state tournament, he was stripped of his medal. Now we are creating more scenarios for this to happen. 

Also for example, you have a 152 and 285. Say you have a heavy weight coach for your 285, but he's not the 152 coach. He either has to coach that 152, or He's giving up his spot for another coach.

I think it is absurd that we are not trusted to have a floating pass between coaches. 

Would be nice if we had 1 pass for the Head coach, and  floating pass(es) for the assistants. 

ALL of the over complication is hurting the state tournament. It is not growing our sport. Coaches are getting frustrated, some may disappear from the sport...Not just for this reason, this is just some sprinkles on the icing of the cake.

Side Note: I am trying to stay positive for our kids. The state finals will be better than last year. 

3 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

Sigh....Not to mention if you have a 106 and 113. Or just 2 weights right next to each other. You have a guy warming up by himself while his other coaches are coaching the 106. Not saying that this is a huge deal to warm up by yourself, but it is another supervision issue. Remember when a kid was unsupervised at the state tournament, he was stripped of his medal. Now we are creating more scenarios for this to happen. 

Also for example, you have a 152 and 285. Say you have a heavy weight coach for your 285, but he's not the 152 coach. He either has to coach that 152, or He's giving up his spot for another coach.

I think it is absurd that we are not trusted to have a floating pass between coaches. 

Would be nice if we had 1 pass for the Head coach, and  floating pass(es) for the assistants. 

ALL of the over complication is hurting the state tournament. It is not growing our sport. Coaches are getting frustrated, some may disappear from the sport...Not just for this reason, this is just some sprinkles on the icing of the cake.

Side Note: I am trying to stay positive for our kids. The state finals will be better than last year. 

BRING BACK THE LANYARDS!!!!

1 hour ago, swain358 said:

I think this is part of the reason why they split the sessions Friday. This is a way to

limit the amount of coaches on the floor. But according to the IHSAA the “coaches” wanted to split the sessions. 

That is what Faulkens has said, but I don't ever remember voting on such a thing.

PS bring back the lanyards! 

It's almost as if the IHSAA didn't bother to think this one through.  Because they didn't and are receiving backlash, they now blame it on the coaches.  Since we will all be in the same spot on Friday, that would be a good time for some accountability.  Maybe our IHSWCA Leaders need to ask some hard questions of the IHSAA with members present.

1 hour ago, Steven Sandefer said:

That is what Faulkens has said, but I don't ever remember voting on such a thing.

PS bring back the lanyards! 

Word on the streets of Indy is that "the powers that be" have concluded that schools will try to take advantage of the lanyard system and load the floor with unnecessary coaches.

Also, it is apparently a rampant issue that these sneaky coaches whose athletes lose Friday night will use that lanyard from Friday to get on the floor Saturday to hang around and that is a MASSIVE PROBLEM.  So big of a problem that it is much more important to keep those scum bags off the floor rather than be sure assistant coaches have the chance to get to coach their kids.

EASY FIX:       1.   2 Coaching Lanyards for schools qualifying 1 kid.

2.   4 Coaching Lanyards for schools qualifying 2+ kids.

3.   Coaching Lanyards are different for Friday and Saturday.

How could they argue with that.  Schools can trade lanyards around throughout the coaching staff to get the desired coaches in the corners for their athletes, and athletes who are warming up are supervised (unless the instance occurs that a school has 2 athletes wrestling at once).  A school will never have more than 4 coaches on the floor at once.

BRING BACK THE LANYARDS

2 minutes ago, lanntp01 said:

Word on the streets of Indy is that "the powers that be" have concluded that schools will try to take advantage of the lanyard system and load the floor with unnecessary coaches.

Also, it is apparently a rampant issue that these sneaky coaches whose athletes lose Friday night will use that lanyard from Friday to get on the floor Saturday to hang around and that is a MASSIVE PROBLEM.  So big of a problem that it is much more important to keep those scum bags off the floor rather than be sure assistant coaches have the chance to get to coach their kids.

EASY FIX:       1.   2 Coaching Lanyards for schools qualifying 1 kid.

2.   4 Coaching Lanyards for schools qualifying 2+ kids.

3.   Coaching Lanyards are different for Friday and Saturday.

How could they argue with that.  Schools can trade lanyards around throughout the coaching staff to get the desired coaches in the corners for their athletes, and athletes who are warming up are supervised (unless the instance occurs that a school has 2 athletes wrestling at once).  A school will never have more than 4 coaches on the floor at once.

BRING BACK THE LANYARDS

EASY 

10 hours ago, Thor said:

So did any other coaches also have to pay their way in to sectional or regional? How is this even close to appropriate for our sport?  Just a complete joke. 

We had 11 wrestlers 3 managers and 4 coaches. I had to pay out of pocket for all our coaches or our managers couldn’t get in…$8 a ticket $32 total. This is for our 3 coaches and coach/bus driver.

The coaching passes were limited last year because Bankers had restrictions on the number of people on the floor at any given time. That does not seem to be the reasoning this year.  They moved to wristbands a few years back but It was still a minimum of 3 passes. 2 coaches + assistant/manager.  Even for a team with 1 wrestler that 3rd pass is often very important. It might go to an assistant coach that works one on one with the guy, or it allows you to bring that partner that has worked with his friend all year to experience state and warm him up.

I'll also say that I am not in favor of the 2 sessions if it's is for the purpose of splitting weight classes. 

So when will the assistant coach wrestle offs today for ownership of this years coveted wristband of power?

I get it the coaching staff of 7 shouldn’t all be trying to hover around the mat floor at the same time.  But give me a break, let a few of these guys have a chance to at least be part of things in a controlled way considering what little to no pay they get from their IHSAA member school for all the time and energy they put into this.  

I’m not sure what all has changed in the last few years but they used to have a gate keeper allowing only two coaches to enter with a wrestler as they were called on deck to a mat and a couple guys walking the floor to make sure you  were with a wrestler and exiting once your match finished.  Seems like that would solve most of their floor congestion concerns if done correctly.  Maybe the issue should be addressed better there IHSAA rather than finding some additional way level of unnecessary protocol that only seems to show lack of understanding and support to those that are helping the athletes you claim to be doing this all for.  

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.