Wristbands Instead of Lanyards-Am I the Only One?

nkraus

Does this bother anybody else?  1-3 wrestlers per session gets you 2 wristbands unique to that session.  

If you have multiple wrestlers in a session, but no more than 3 then you only get 2 wristbands.  

So, lets say that the following athletes are all in the same session and prefer to be coached by:

Jimmy coached by : Josh and Mike

Jordy coached by:  Nick and Tyler

Johnny coached by: Tyler and Alex

That's 5 coaches listed, but only 2 bands available.

So we are saying that these assistant coaches who do work all year long, potentially cannot be a part of the most prestigious event.  It's not like they get paid a ton and they're away from their families for a few months out of the year.  Also, we are saying that even though Johnny is comfortable with these coaches and they've coached him all year long, he can only get these coaches today.  Sorry, we are going to do things differently once we get to state...ANYBODY else having this frustration?  

Frustrating.... even more so that the information handed out at semi-state doesn't match information given last night.  Plans have been made, hotel rooms reserved, then everything changes.

I don't know a single coach that wants 2 sessions on Friday (there could be some, but I haven't heard that opinion expressed).

IHSAA will have numerous "dignitaries" on the floor during the last session that have no business being involved in anything going on with the event.

6 minutes ago, swain358 said:

But according to the IHSAA the “coaches” wanted to split the sessions. 

Was there a formal survey that I missed?

And no matter how many coaches a team takes, you are only allowed two in the corner... So the maximum number of coaches on the floor would always be 16!!!  

But I think it is ridiculous that we make coaches pay at Regional and Semi-State as well.  Regional you get 2 coaches and Semi-State I believe it was 3...

I wonder how many assistants are allowed in other sports...

9 minutes ago, swain358 said:

I think this is part of the reason why they split the sessions Friday. This is a way to

limit the amount of coaches on the floor. But according to the IHSAA the “coaches” wanted to split the sessions. 

I'd like to know which coaches for sure...because any coach I've talked to hasn't felt that way

1 minute ago, AJ said:

Was there a formal survey that I missed?

And no matter how many coaches a team takes, you are only allowed two in the corner... So the maximum number of coaches on the floor would always be 16!!!  

But I think it is ridiculous that we make coaches pay at Regional and Semi-State as well.  Regional you get 2 coaches and Semi-State I believe it was 3...

I wonder how many assistants are allowed in other sports...

"I wonder how many assistants are allowed in other sports... "  this was brought up quite a bit in our convos last night as well

4 minutes ago, nkraus said:

"I wonder how many assistants are allowed in other sports... "  this was brought up quite a bit in our convos last night as well

Hey, it's me, football! I have 30-35 players who see the field any given night, but I need a head coach and 14 assistants to keep the kids in line.

Oh hey, it's me, basketball! I have 8-10 kids who see the court any given night, but I need six coaches in the huddle to make sure we're all on the same page.

It goes without saying, but the IHSAA needs to take a serious look in the mirror when it comes to how they handle wrestling. Because right now, they're a bunch of steamy, giant turds.

26 minutes ago, nkraus said:

Does this bother anybody else?  1-3 wrestlers per session gets you 2 wristbands unique to that session.  

If you have multiple wrestlers in a session, but no more than 3 then you only get 2 wristbands.  

So, lets say that the following athletes are all in the same session and prefer to be coached by:

Jimmy coached by : Josh and Mike

Jordy coached by:  Nick and Tyler

Johnny coached by: Tyler and Alex

That's 5 coaches listed, but only 2 bands available.

So we are saying that these assistant coaches who do work all year long, potentially cannot be a part of the most prestigious event.  It's not like they get paid a ton and they're away from their families for a few months out of the year.  Also, we are saying that even though Johnny is comfortable with these coaches and they've coached him all year long, he can only get these coaches today.  Sorry, we are going to do things differently once we get to state...ANYBODY else having this frustration?  

I just can't find the upside to limiting the coaches who can coach (especially using wrist bands which makes it so only the same 2 coaches can coach through a session). Are they worried about income? We will pay for tickets for past two coaches.  Preventing a kid from having his desired coach during his match is like a football team making it to state but the receivers coach isn't aloud on the sideline to catch the receivers. IHSAA would never do that, why limit us on who is eligible to coach our athlete???

Change 1: Going back to lanyards so that we can change coaches on the floor between matches would be a big step in right direction, isn't asking for much from the IHSAA, and would probably make most coaching staffs happy. 

Change 2: Give 4 coaching lanyards to teams qualifying 2 or more kids.  If a team only has 1 wrestler then having 2 wrestlers on the mat at the same time is a moot point, but otherwise give the coaching staffs the ability to always have 2 coaches in a corner. This stupid rule of having to have 4+ qualifiers to get 4 coaches instead of 3 makes no sense. It is an advantage to have 2 coaches in a corner and we should never be forced into only having 1 coach while competing against another wrestler with 2 coaches in their corner in the most important tournament of the season...

Why fill out the state finals form at the semi-state when you get a qualifier?  Conflicting form that makes you think "three coaches or two coaches & one manager will get credentials"  We all know that only two coaches can be in the corner, but why not allow three if not four to make the walk during the parade & be on the floor during warmups with kids they have devoted countless hours to???  It is not fair for the head coach to make a tough decision what coaches to select on their staff.  Even if you get seven or more wrestlers, you only get three passes.  Complete joke.  This does not happen with any other sport, other than wrestling.  

I got forwarded an email from a friend I used to coach with.  He emailed Mr. Faulkens to express concerns about 2 sessions, assigned seating, two parade of champions, warmups before weighins, etc.  

Personally, I hate dividing my team and coaches...it is a logistical nightmare to figure out what to do with everyone and how to get them where they need to be with 2 sessions.

Mt friend was told that we are doing this because it is what the coaches and wrestlers wanted.

Did I miss a survey or meeting?  I can't find a single coach that likes the new format.  Am i missing something?

2 minutes ago, Darrick Snyder said:

I got forwarded an email from a friend I used to coach with.  He emailed Mr. Faulkens to express concerns about 2 sessions, assigned seating, two parade of champions, warmups before weighins, etc.  

Personally, I hate dividing my team and coaches...it is a logistical nightmare to figure out what to do with everyone and how to get them where they need to be with 2 sessions.

Mt friend was told that we are doing this because it is what the coaches and wrestlers wanted.

Did I miss a survey or meeting?  I can't find a single coach that likes the new format.  Am i missing something?

Again, I haven't heard of a coach who likes the way we are doing things!

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

So did any other coaches also have to pay their way in to sectional or regional? How is this even close to appropriate for our sport?  Just a complete joke. 

Yes, I had coaches have to pay to get into these events.  This is ridiculous.

There isn't a SINGLE wrestler in the state that wants to compete at a different time than their teammates.  We have three wrestlers in session 1, one wrestler in session 2.  You're telling me that our wrestler in session 2 wants to do a parade of champions and compete in a session by himself???  Crazy.

5 minutes ago, Darrick Snyder said:

No there was never a survey sent out. That is being discussed as we speak.

I can't speak with other people's direct conversations, but I do not know where the "the coaches wanted that" came from.

I do think that the idea of being open to having  Gainbridge all day Friday meant the possibility of expanding the tournament down the road. But I am not sure specifically where "the coaches wanted that" came from.

54 minutes ago, nkraus said:

I'd like to know which coaches for sure...because any coach I've talked to hasn't felt that way

I want 2 sessions on Friday...

Session 1 would be for pigtail matches to allow SS 5th & 6th placers to qualify

Session 2 would be our normal Friday round

Starting at 11 am would be plenty of time to do this.

There are major problems here.  Our leaders should take note and listen.  This is all ridiculous.  I would assume theres a very small minority, if any, that prefer to do this circus the way we are attempting.  I want state back to the way it was before and don't limit who on my staff can coach our athletes at this event.  This is making me sick.

5 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

I only have 1 kids and I HATE the 2 sessions. The parade of champions split in half???

We ran 4 semi states with the same amount of kids in lesser venues. 

This is ridiculous!

Our 152 and 145 have been training hard with each other all season long, both make it to state, but will not get to experience everything together because they're in 2 different sessions. Our 152 will have to make the parade by himself instead of with his 2 teammates. Just an unjustifiable and illogical move by the IHSAA.

Edited by lanntp01

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.