Hypothetical Semi-State Realignment

DCHawks

Here is a hypothetical Semi-State Realignment for discussions.

This doesn't involve moving teams from one sectional to another but instead looks at moving a whole sectional to a different semi-state. At first glance it does look silly that a school would drive to a farther semi-state location but this is happening in our current alignment, ie,  Floyd Central and New Albany sectional location.

The thought about this realignment is to distribute the balance of "power" as much as possible with keeping travel distance in mind. Longest distance between a school and their semi-state location is under 155 miles, this is in line with our current alignment. This post isn't created to make anyone mad or upset but just something I have thought about the last couple days. 

Six new schools would have to host a regional. 

Tables of each semi-state are below 

Changes 

East Chicago Semi-State

Gains: 

Frankfort Sectional 

Loses:

Mishawaka Sectional 

Fort Wayne Semi-State

Gains:

Mishawaka Sectional

Loses: 

Delta Sectional 

New Castle Semi-State

Gains:

Delta Sectional

Avon Sectional 

Loses: 

Crawfordville Sectional 

Frankfort Sectional

Evansville Semi-State

Gains:

Crawfordville Sectional 

Loses:

Avon Sectional 

Please let me know your thoughts and any critiques on this hypothetical Semi-State Realignment. 

Thanks

Coach Schlueter 

Decatur Central HS

image.png.d21b7ba5f364d61556f9708feaee75a9.png

image.png.cc6c11e2d0967c0a6c8bfc0cc02ed201.png

image.png.1199e5abd72a6ace1b28589c1bbc2d1d.png

image.png.69699e2f79ef301b74b8059f787e82fa.png

Edited: I removed classes from schools. 

Edited by DCHawks

Very interesting. I made a much more complicated move this summer when I was bored that involved a HUGE overhaul that I knew had no chance of ever being done. Because this keeps Sectionals the same but flips a few, it is a better start already.

I do question how "balanced" these semi-state would truly be. Moving Carmel, HSE, Westfield, and Fishers all up to the Northwest is intriguing, but they gain 4 4A schools and lose only 1 with Penn leaving to go to Ft. Wayne. I know that EC wasn't as deep as most years but that's a lot of 4A teams in one semi-state and leaves Ft. Wayne still with just 4 total (Homestead, Carroll, Northrop, and now Penn). New Castle doesn't change in talent either.

4A Breakdown would look this way (just a quick count, could be off by 1-2):

EC: 10

FW: 4

NC: 13

EVV: 5

New Castle meanwhile gains Brownsburg and Avon (not to mention Plainfield, who will bounce back, Ben Davis--who will only get better and Pike--who has the potential to be good with their size) AND takes on the Delta Sectional with those small school hammers. New Castle becomes the deepest in the state by far and EVV would become one of the easier 2 by far--as far as depth goes.

This plan makes Evansville more manageable, but Makes New Castle and EC much harder and keeps Ft. Wayne exactly as it is by only gaining Penn and Mishawaka while losing an up and coming Delaware County who is very talented and will be doing very well in the future with Delta, Yorktown, Cowan, and Daleville.

I just look at this as trading one problem for another. I was pretty gung ho that we needed to redistribute programs for the semi-states this summer, but as I've seen this year develop, I am more inclined to let it be because I see how cyclical things have been. I wouldn't hate moving some bigger Northern Indiana Schools or Indy Schools to Ft. Wayne so that it's a little more even as far as where the 4A schools are competing so that the depth disparity isn't so great, but I'm okay as it is now as well.

2 hours ago, DCHawks said:

Here is a hypothetical Semi-State Realignment for discussions.

This doesn't involve moving teams from one sectional to another but instead looks at moving a whole sectional to a different semi-state. At first glance it does look silly that a school would drive to a farther semi-state location but this is happening in our current alignment, ie,  Floyd Central and New Albany sectional location.

The thought about this realignment is to distribute the balance of "power" as much as possible with keeping travel distance in mind. Longest distance between a school and their semi-state location is under 155 miles, this is in line with our current alignment. This post isn't created to make anyone mad or upset but just something I have thought about the last couple days. 

Six new schools would have to host a regional. 

Tables of each semi-state are below 

Changes 

East Chicago Semi-State

Gains: 

Frankfort Sectional 

Loses:

Mishawaka Sectional 

Fort Wayne Semi-State

Gains:

Mishawaka Sectional

Loses: 

Delta Sectional 

New Castle Semi-State

Gains:

Delta Sectional

Avon Sectional 

Loses: 

Crawfordville Sectional 

Frankfort Sectional

Evansville Semi-State

Gains:

Crawfordville Sectional 

Loses:

Avon Sectional 

Please let me know your thoughts and any critiques on this hypothetical Semi-State Realignment. 

Thanks

Coach Schlueter 

Decatur Central HS

image.png.aa00a450f60a914a23f1c10fce0f44e8.png

image.png.4769ff46b4b4f916459b64a68921ec78.png

image.png.b9840010c54c2767017872c0191018f3.png

image.png.a508a989685a0d7ea53855978d9ea07e.png

Rensselaer is now 2A and Pioneer is a small 1A and not a 4A that they are listed at here.  I believe KV  and Boone Grove are classed wrong.  

What happens in 3 years when the "balance of power" changes completely to a different part of the State?  Do you move everything again?  Evansville has been deep recently, but I can remember when East Chicago/Merrillville was just as deep.  Things change too often to revamp based on what we are seeing now.  

I know it is hypothetical, but Rensselaer does not have the facilities to host a regional.  Unless you only allow one parent per wrestler and no other fans.

Edited by hogleg

On 2/15/2022 at 6:59 PM, indypharmd said:

It takes far less time for BD, Pike, Avon and Brownsburg to drive to any of the other 3 semi state locations than heading down to Evansville... That's something to think about...

Google Maps shows me that it is shorter for Brownsburg and 
Avon to go to Evansville than it is to East Chicago unless I looked at it wrong. Pke and BD are just a few minutes further away from Evansville than East Chicago

Edited by hogleg

On 2/15/2022 at 3:17 PM, hogleg said:

Rensselaer is now 2A and Pioneer is a small 1A and not a 4A that they are listed at here.  I believe KV  and Boone Grove are classed wrong.  

What happens in 3 years when the "balance of power" changes completely to a different part of the State?  Do you move everything again?  Evansville has been deep recently, but I can remember when East Chicago/Merrillville was just as deep.  Things change too often to revamp based on what we are seeing now.  

I know it is hypothetical, but Rensselaer does not have the facilities to host a regional.  Unless you only allow one parent per wrestler and no other fans.

Red cobra, Contenders and MCWA are only getting bigger and better. I don’t see the balance of power shifting any time soon. It is what it is at this point. 

1 hour ago, hogleg said:

Google Maps shows me that it is shorter for Brownsburg and 
Avon to go to Evansville than it is to East Chicago unless I looked at it wrong. Pke and BD are just a few minutes further away from Evansville than East Chicagoh

Hmm, from BHS to EC Central is 151 miles and about 2.5 hrs where BHS to Ford Center is 173 miles and about 3+ hrs... 143 miles and a little over 2 hrs to the FW coliseum and 63 miles and a hair over an hour to New Castle... Using latest version of Chrome for Google maps... 🙂

1 hour ago, indypharmd said:

Hmm, from BHS to EC Central is 151 miles and about 2.5 hrs where BHS to Ford Center is 173 miles and about 3+ hrs... 143 miles and a little over 2 hrs to the FW coliseum and 63 miles and a hair over an hour to New Castle... Using latest version of Chrome for Google maps... 🙂

I double checked and my mistake was looking at the current travel times for today.  We are getting it handed to us by the blizzard up north so the travel times on maps have been adjusted due to how bad the roads are.  I stand corrected on that.  

Edited by hogleg

24 minutes ago, hogleg said:

I double checked and my mistake was looking at the current travel times for today.  We are getting it handed to us by the blizzard up north so the travel times on maps have been adjusted due to how bad the roads are.  I stand corrected on that.  

Maybe it just took into account the time it will take a bus to stop to see a live calf birth at Fair Oaks Farm then admire the turning of the Wind Turbines as you travel up I65.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.