1994 Twin Lakes invitational 215 lbs

CJA_21595knight

This time of year makes a lot of us nostalgic. I often think back to one of the toughest tournaments I wrestled in my senior year (only year in Indiana). I never grabbed a program of it and can't remember who all was in my weight class or who beat whom. I was able to dig up a couple from a Newspaper search. Much of it is still lost to me. Does anyone out there have this info?

Attached is what I was able to piece together with some speculation on names based on IHSAA Sectional placements in their Yearbook 1994-1995.

In particular the Merrillville SS was extra tough having these guys in addition to Spurrier/Hunt/Redman/M Arnold/G Johnson.

*Anecdotally, the wrestler I lost to for 7th went on to be State Champ the next season and then my Fraternity Brother in College.

1994 215lbs - Twin Lakes Invite.pdf

22 minutes ago, clintonscott77 said:

I remember that tournament.  I don't remember where I placed though.  I just remember that there was a lot of good competition and a lot of fun.

Clint! What is up man? Yes I seem to remember some jamming to Violent Femmes in the locker room and Coach was like, what the hell is this? That tournament was a bit of a wake up call as to how good the wrestlers were outside our general area. If I look around some more I might have the school paper article about how we all did there. 

4 minutes ago, CJA_21595knight said:

Yes I seem to remember some jamming to Violent Femmes in the locker room and Coach was like, what the hell is this? 

Thank, now that songs in my head.  😁   

And today if you play it the kids go "What the hell is that?"

8 hours ago, CJA_21595knight said:

This time of year makes a lot of us nostalgic. I often think back to one of the toughest tournaments I wrestled in my senior year (only year in Indiana). I never grabbed a program of it and can't remember who all was in my weight class or who beat whom. I was able to dig up a couple from a Newspaper search. Much of it is still lost to me. Does anyone out there have this info?

Attached is what I was able to piece together with some speculation on names based on IHSAA Sectional placements in their Yearbook 1994-1995.

In particular the Merrillville SS was extra tough having these guys in addition to Spurrier/Hunt/Redman/M Arnold/G Johnson.

*Anecdotally, the wrestler I lost to for 7th went on to be State Champ the next season and then my Fraternity Brother in College.

1994 215lbs - Twin Lakes Invite.pdf 76.5 kB · 152 downloads

Chad Buntin of Frankfort would become a state champion in 1996 

I believe it was 1985 or 86, Adams Central had openings in their schedule and inquired/ invited to the Twin Lakes tournament. As I recall it was a blind draw affair. We were fortunate to perform very well with all but one guy placing including several champs. It was an honor for our small school to win such an acknowledge able tough tournament. We tried to go back the next year but we’re denied. Our AD was told we scored too many points 

The 215 wrestler for McCutcheon in that tournament was likely Steve Turpin, who was a sophomore at the time. He gave up wrestling after that season, but was a helluva football player. Walked on at Purdue in college. 

That tournament was a meat grinder; I think I also placed 7th that year as a 106 lb. sophomore. 

I had the shirt from that tournament for the longest time that listed every team on the back. 

Edited by mwheeler

18 hours ago, CJA_21595knight said:

Clint! What is up man? Yes I seem to remember some jamming to Violent Femmes in the locker room and Coach was like, what the hell is this? That tournament was a bit of a wake up call as to how good the wrestlers were outside our general area. If I look around some more I might have the school paper article about how we all did there. 

HA!  Violent Femmes...I remember that one.  I think the explicit lyrics were a bit much for Coach.  That tournament was pretty tough...a lot of state ranked wrestlers.  I wrestled a guy that ended up placing 4th in the state...lost by one point to him.  Ended up winning the consolation bracket...didn't place where I wanted to, but was still pretty proud of the accomplishment.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.