Evansville Debrief

navy80

1. It's such a brutal semi state that state champions/placers/qualifiers don't make it through the gauntlet. 

2. This was the worst semi state experience I've had. The place was freezing! low 60's on the floor. Not good for wrestlers or fans. NO TRACK SCORES ON THE BIG SCREEN? No wifi? The announcer for the finals did not emphasize the wrestlers or their accomplishments. It was monotone announcing. On top of that, you could barely understand what he was saying between the music playing and the low quality PA system. Luckily, great wrestling made up for it.

3. Great job to Triple B and his minions for picking 12 of the 14 champions! Their picks were pretty spot on. 

106-All four of these wrestlers can place next weekend with the right draw. Hockaday the favorite to win state.

113-Wow! Haines beats Seng with about 2 seconds left on the clock with a beautiful switch. Seng looked good though. Big win for Goss over Krueger in the ticket.

120-This weight started with 10 ranked wrestlers but only two ranked wrestlers actually punched their ticket! First, Miller goes down via headlock in the first round. Then a few minutes later, McFeeley upsets Zirklebach! That's one state champ and one state placer that didn't make it out of the first round! Oh wait, Egli goes down to Syra first round too. Egli won semi state last year with four pins! Tough draw for the talented young man. Cowden was beating the headlock monster Dunn 11-0 when Dunn threw the headlock and pinned him to punch his ticket. But he wasn't DUNN yet! HE then picked off McFeeley in the battle of unbeatens. Lykins handled Kessinger and Syra to punch his ticket. Gilbert gave up some stalling points to a battle tested Courtney and escaped with a one point win. Gilbert over Lykins in overtime in the semi finals and then Gilbert pinned Dunn in the finals. Gilbert is now 12-0 at semi state with two pins in the finals match. 

126- Butler had a close match with Glenn in the ticket but separated himself from the pack with good wins over KT and Haines. 

132-Ison and Schoeff battle it out again. I sure hope the state finals brackets don't have Ison vs Anthony on Friday night! Kresija with a quick pin over Hammack in the ticket round. Mooresville regional sweeps this weight.

138-Garcia with a statement pin over Hayhurst in the finals and major decision over Turner in the semi finals. Kid really turned it up since last year! Freshman Roudebush quietly punches his ticket. 

145-As expected, Watson over Garcia in the finals. These two should place next weekend. Oliver with two big matches to punch his ticket over Smith and Lody.

152-Cicciarelli over May in the semis. DuPon punches his ticket as a regional 4th place finisher here.

160-Conway goes through Boe and Law to win. Throw in Newman and you have four kids who are more than capable of placing top 8. Boe is 38-1 and a terrible draw for any 2nd place finisher. 

170-Another 3rd place finisher from Eville will get a 2nd place finisher nightmares is Khawaja from Floyd Central. Phillips is 40-2 and will scare any Semi state champ he draws Friday night. Baumman ahead of the field here. Farmer is underrated. Most of his losses are probably to Baummann and Khajawa. 

182-Buchanan makes a statement over Henry. Henry is such a tough freshman. We have three more years of him! McBee gets a bad draw when Emerine dropped out. That allowed Regional 4th place finisher Alex Rose to punch his ticket! Look for Schroeder of Southridge to place.

195-Sollars, Purdy, Willman. Studs. 4th place regional finisher Higgins 16-16 tech falls Sam Allen 9-1 first round. Didn't see that coming!

220-Critchield cruises to victory. Morril and Farmer are both tough as nails. 

285- Jones handles business. Johnson from Center Grove is only a sophomore but looks and wrestles like a senior. Beau Noland of North Knox finishes around 26 wins and 26 pins but one loss in the ticket round.

57 minutes ago, navy80 said:

1. It's such a brutal semi state that state champions/placers/qualifiers don't make it through the gauntlet. 

2. This was the worst semi state experience I've had. The place was freezing! low 60's on the floor. Not good for wrestlers or fans. NO TRACK SCORES ON THE BIG SCREEN? No wifi? The announcer for the finals did not emphasize the wrestlers or their accomplishments. It was monotone announcing. On top of that, you could barely understand what he was saying between the music playing and the low quality PA system. Luckily, great wrestling made up for it.

3. Great job to Triple B and his minions for picking 12 of the 14 champions! Their picks were pretty spot on. 

106-All four of these wrestlers can place next weekend with the right draw. Hockaday the favorite to win state.

113-Wow! Haines beats Seng with about 2 seconds left on the clock with a beautiful switch. Seng looked good though. Big win for Goss over Krueger in the ticket.

120-This weight started with 10 ranked wrestlers but only two ranked wrestlers actually punched their ticket! First, Miller goes down via headlock in the first round. Then a few minutes later, McFeeley upsets Zirklebach! That's one state champ and one state placer that didn't make it out of the first round! Oh wait, Egli goes down to Syra first round too. Egli won semi state last year with four pins! Tough draw for the talented young man. Cowden was beating the headlock monster Dunn 11-0 when Dunn threw the headlock and pinned him to punch his ticket. But he wasn't DUNN yet! HE then picked off McFeeley in the battle of unbeatens. Lykins handled Kessinger and Syra to punch his ticket. Gilbert gave up some stalling points to a battle tested Courtney and escaped with a one point win. Gilbert over Lykins in overtime in the semi finals and then Gilbert pinned Dunn in the finals. Gilbert is now 12-0 at semi state with two pins in the finals match. 

126- Butler had a close match with Glenn in the ticket but separated himself from the pack with good wins over KT and Haines. 

132-Ison and Schoeff battle it out again. I sure hope the state finals brackets don't have Ison vs Anthony on Friday night! Kresija with a quick pin over Hammack in the ticket round. Mooresville regional sweeps this weight.

138-Garcia with a statement pin over Hayhurst in the finals and major decision over Turner in the semi finals. Kid really turned it up since last year! Freshman Roudebush quietly punches his ticket. 

145-As expected, Watson over Garcia in the finals. These two should place next weekend. Oliver with two big matches to punch his ticket over Smith and Lody.

152-Cicciarelli over May in the semis. DuPon punches his ticket as a regional 4th place finisher here.

160-Conway goes through Boe and Law to win. Throw in Newman and you have four kids who are more than capable of placing top 8. Boe is 38-1 and a terrible draw for any 2nd place finisher. 

170-Another 3rd place finisher from Eville will get a 2nd place finisher nightmares is Khawaja from Floyd Central. Phillips is 40-2 and will scare any Semi state champ he draws Friday night. Baumman ahead of the field here. Farmer is underrated. Most of his losses are probably to Baummann and Khajawa. 

182-Buchanan makes a statement over Henry. Henry is such a tough freshman. We have three more years of him! McBee gets a bad draw when Emerine dropped out. That allowed Regional 4th place finisher Alex Rose to punch his ticket! Look for Schroeder of Southridge to place.

195-Sollars, Purdy, Willman. Studs. 4th place regional finisher Higgins 16-16 tech falls Sam Allen 9-1 first round. Didn't see that coming!

220-Critchield cruises to victory. Morril and Farmer are both tough as nails. 

285- Jones handles business. Johnson from Center Grove is only a sophomore but looks and wrestles like a senior. Beau Noland of North Knox finishes around 26 wins and 26 pins but one loss in the ticket round.

Just a heads up… they are wrestling on a piece of ice too. Most likely why it was chilly. 

The level of this semistate is unreal. Looking forward to these guys dominating next weekend. 

Personally.. I didn’t realize that my son had the opportunity to wrestle the brother of a kid that my oldest had the pleasure to wrestle (as we both changes schools). Mr. Farmer and I had a chance to catch up and share some great conversation. I agree with Navy.. Farmer is underrated. Would love to see our 170s to finish 1,2,3 and 4. I will be rooting for all of those guys next weekend. 

31 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Personally.. I didn’t realize that my son had the opportunity to wrestle the brother of a kid that my oldest had the pleasure to wrestle (as we both changes schools). Mr. Farmer and I had a chance to catch up and share some great conversation. I agree with Navy.. Farmer is underrated. Would love to see our 170s to finish 1,2,3 and 4. I will be rooting for all of those guys next weekend. 

Jacob Farmer of Castle’s little brother?  I didn’t make the connection either with the school change.  Good to know.  

Bowl temp was set at 70 degrees but it is definitely closer to 60 on the floor close to the ice. One of the drawbacks of having events in an ice hockey arena.

Our PA is on bandaids right now waiting on new components that go in our processors. Been on order for months and until then if we overdrive the system sound will cut in and out. You probably noticed it several times, as I did. 

I have no doubt by next year the sound issue will be a thing of the past. 🤞

Fyi, the Ford Center has never offered free public WiFi, but I might know a guy that does have access to some things.

Edited by markio

6 hours ago, navy80 said:

120-This weight started with 10 ranked wrestlers but only two ranked wrestlers actually punched their ticket! Pure Craziness!

132-Ison and Schoeff battle it out again. I sure hope the state finals brackets don't have Ison vs Anthony on Friday night! You jinxed it!  :(  Kresija with a quick pin over Hammack in the ticket round. Mooresville regional sweeps this weight.

170-Another 3rd place finisher from Eville will get a 2nd place finisher nightmares is Khawaja from Floyd Central. Phillips is 40-2 and will scare any Semi state champ he draws Friday night. Baumman ahead of the field here. Farmer is underrated. Most of his losses are probably to Baummann and Khajawa. Four to Baumann, one to Khawaja

See Inside Quote

Edited by SWINfan

Great write up@navy80!!

Sooooo many intense matches, place was electric. At one point there were 4 feature matches on all at once. People were dorking out about Dunn's semi match and I bet most of pace missed Gilbert/Lykins going into OT. I mean just absolute match after match for all 4 rounds.  

My one and only beef (other than I should be announcing and DJing, I mean get rid of YMCA and let's do some Kendrick!) was that they did semis on 4 mats (assuming to save time) and then took a 75 minute break. ABSURD!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Great write up@navy80!!

Sooooo many intense matches, place was electric. At one point there were 4 feature matches on all at once. People were dorking out about Dunn's semi match and I bet most of pace missed Gilbert/Lykins going into OT. I mean just absolute match after match for all 4 rounds.  

My one and only beef (other than I should be announcing and DJing, I mean get rid of YMCA and let's do some Kendrick!) was that they did semis on 4 mats (assuming to save time) and then took a 75 minute break. ABSURD!!!!!!

The hour break after semis was absurd.   Most people walked laps upstairs to pass time.  

I know they have done it in the past but why the break?   Removing mats 1 and 4 didn’t change anything.  Just roll right into finals and semifinals and only use mats 2/3.  10 minute break at the most and I think most people would have stayed.  

2 hours ago, TripleB said:

My one and only beef ...was that they did semis on 4 mats (assuming to save time) and then took a 75 minute break. ABSURD!!!!!!

This!

I mean this is the Semi-State. I know many had a long drive home but it's a Saturday. Semi's should be on two mats, the fans & kids deserve that.

But if you are going to run it that way then why the long break?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.