Better venue for the East Chicago semi state

450krazy

If everybody doesn't want to drive to West Lafayette  and enjoy Mackey,  did anybody ever consider Valpo University's basketball field house.   Never been there but it seats 5k.  You might lose some capacity with wrestling mats, but should that be big enough.

Just now, Coach Nieman said:

While we're at fixing semistate locations, go ahead and book Assembly Hall for the Evansville semistate.

If it's the Evansville semi state shouldn't it stay in Evansville? Anyway, Assembly Hall would be terrible. The Ford Center is a great setup. 

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

If everybody doesn't want to drive to West Lafayette  and enjoy Mackey,  did anybody ever consider Valpo University's basketball field house.   Never been there but it seats 5k.  You might lose some capacity with wrestling mats, but should that be big enough.

Its a good central location from all the regionals too.  EC is just such a long distance for some of the teams.

4 minutes ago, Jam said:

Its a good central location from all the regionals too.  EC is just such a long distance for some of the teams.

You would have to define long distance sense some teams are traveling over 2.5 hours to their none EC related semi-state. 

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Good call I always forget about Valpo being there.  If 5,400 accommodates the seating needed that venue would be another option.  That is if the school can work in a road trip that weekend. 

17 minutes ago, MattM said:

You would have to define long distance sense some teams are traveling over 2.5 hours to their none EC related semi-state. 

20 minutes from Hobart

40 minutes from Crown Point

1 hr and 15 minutes from Penn

1 hr and 30 minutes from Logansport

28 minutes ago, Jam said:

20 minutes from Hobart

40 minutes from Crown Point

1 hr and 15 minutes from Penn

1 hr and 30 minutes from Logansport

I’d agree a central location is always nice but distances wise if those are EC numbers many other teams would love to be within 1.5 hours of their SS location.   We have some teams in the southern end of the state making almost a 1.5 hour drive to a regional then add another hour to semi-state.  

You region northerners must just forget how spread out many of our schools down in “Gods country” are. 

Edited by MattM

3 minutes ago, MattM said:

You region northerners must just forget how spread out many of our schools down in “Gods country” are. 

I have been south of 30 so I've seen "God's country"

14 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

John Cook worked on that several times, but VU didn’t want anything to do with it since it is during basketball season and they would have a game on Friday or Saturday most years. 

15 hours ago, WrestleMan said:

If it's the Evansville semi state shouldn't it stay in Evansville? Anyway, Assembly Hall would be terrible. The Ford Center is a great setup. 

The Ford Center is a great setup. It's also in no way a centralized location for the semistate. It's in the backyard for the local teams and over 3 hrs away for others.

20 hours ago, WrestleMan said:

Evansville is not a great set up unless you live in this area. 2.5-3 ours drive for those in the Moorseville regional is crazy. Fort Wayne is  2 hours drive and New Castle is less than an hour away. Then the drive back we go back to EST from CST. as far as a name. I am sure it can be changed. It has happened before and can happen again. Bloomington is central to a lot more teams than Evansville is. And you don't have to stay the night. Just my 2 cents. Oh and I am guessing they will not need to wrestle on an ice rink and 50-60 degree temps. 

I’ve always thought Michigan City wouldn’t be a terrible option. With partially closed floor bleachers, they’d probably still have 4000-5000 seats available and plenty of room to sprawl out. They do a fine job hosting the boys basketball regional every year, but there is absolutely 0 incentive for them to host - and they’re far from a wrestling school. There is really little incentive for any school to host the semi-state, save for the prestige of hosting an event of this importance. Some ADs don’t understand wrestling as it is, and it’s not like the IHSAA is cutting a giant check to host schools.

The sightlines are not the greatest for fans at EC. Definitely a step up from Merrillville (especially for coaches and competitors), but severely lacking when compared to the other 3 SS facilities.

Not sure what the right answer is here. Purdue/ND/VU are intriguing, but probably unrealistic. Hammond Civic Center would be awesome as well (maybe that is the most realistic option). I think that the majority of people clamoring for a change in this case is fans - not coaches. It’ll stay at EC until they don’t want to host it anymore. 

Edited by BLF Snow Cone

I think the only people who like Evansville as the Host of our semistate is the Evansville people , it is 2 hours or more drive  for most of the semistate .. Bloomington or Seymour would be more centralized . If it would be more centralized you could add teams like greensburg  and East central could go there instead of New Castle , Evansville does a good job putting on but it is a haul ..

On 2/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, WrestleMan said:

East Chicago is a JOKE....  I was in a designated corner to film our wrestler wrestling and this guy told me I had to sit down when there were 10 other people there recording with their phones...  I told him no, I am Recording our Senior wrestling, He told me I was going to be kicked out and that he was going to get the police...  Police officer came over and threatened to take me to jail for disturbing the peace and that I needed to sit down..  I pointed out that I was recording in the designated area and that there were 10 other people doing same thing I was... Made no difference to the officer...  WHAT A JOKE...  POWER hungry people thinking they can run the world...  this is 3rd year in a row I personally had been singled out to sit down by SAME person playing Security..  Surrounded by people doing same thing and yet its all cool for them....  Busses with kids that are alternated or workout partners for the qualifiers have to park 2 city blocks away and walk in the cold to get to the doors to get in....  No managers allowed on the floor to record matches and take stats so they fight for an angle upstairs and get yelled at by people to sit down...   they are just trying to do their job....    JOKE.....

2 hours ago, Brandon Sandefur said:

Although I still think EC is a great venue I'll bite on this....Michigan City and Lafayette Jeff have huge gyms that could also host. 

For you Evansville folks....Hatchet House right by I69.

Jeff has an extremely similar gym to EC, in terms of capacity and viewing options. I'd consider that a lateral move.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.