Better venue for the East Chicago semi state

450krazy

Barratto Center is the 3rd largest high school gym in the country,  seats just over 8k and has great views.  What venue in the region do you think would be better?

If you can't see from one side of the bleachers just move to the other side and you can clearly see the other two mats or move to the ends.

Merrillville although a rowdy atmosphere which was fun to wrestle in didn't have nearly enough seats and they wouldn't let you bring in coolers. 

Short of securing Mackey in West Lafayette or Joyce in South Bend I’m not sure there are too many options with adequate seating available.  Would ND hockey complex have the room?  That is unless you want Chicago to host it. 

Edited by MattM

24 minutes ago, MattM said:

Short of securing Mackey in West Lafayette or Joyce in South Bend I’m not sure there are too many options with adequate seating available.  Would ND hockey complex have the room?  That is unless you want Chicago to host it. 

I graduated college in the Joyce. It was a complete oven.  Never, ever go there.

I think EC did a great Job. Brought pro fight announcer Ray Flores in for the finals which was cool. 
The head of security was a little over the top. 😒

Mackey always sounded like a cool idea. 

i say we start a go fund me to add 500 extra seats at Merrillville and a cooler area 

Completely agree. There's not enough parking. There's not enough good seating. You can only view all 4 mats from a small section of the arena. People are constantly standing in the way along the railing and the poor security guards need to patrol a bunch of loud and rowdy people for the entire day. A few encounters I was sure were about to turn into fist fights. Was well run, but not a great place to watch a tournament. 

10 hours ago, Coach Nieman said:

I'll always support wrestling mats in Mackey. That place would get loud too.

Does Mackey have the floor space to put in 4 mats with room for table help?       About 10 years ago, they hosted the Big 10s, did they have four or 3 college sized mats?  Im sure Purdue could schedule the Mens and Girls basketball schedule around one Saturday in February for a little extra jack.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

I have been telling people for years, Gary Genesis Center.  It use to cost about $3000 to rent out on a Saturday and could seat 7,000 people with floor space for 4 mats lined up end to end just like state.  Too back it is closed now, but the building is still there.

Edited by julio
add info

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Does Mackey have the floor space to put in 4 mats with room for table help?       About 10 years ago, they hosted the Big 10s, did they have four or 3 college sized mats?  Im sure Purdue could schedule the Mens and Girls basketball schedule around one Saturday in February for a little extra jack.

Yes we had 4 in there.  It was tight on the floor but there wasn't a bad seat in the house.  

5 minutes ago, Go Big Blue said:

Yes we had 4 in there.  It was tight on the floor but there wasn't a bad seat in the house.  

So if they could get four college mats, they could easily get four high school mats in there.   Mackey has to be the best  venue in the SS geographical area. Plenty of parking,  adequate number of hotels and some good places to eat.  It would be great except all the people in the Region and South Bend would complain about driving down I65 and crossing over the Eastern Zone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.