First-Year Wrestlers To State

Nate Spangle

I would love to hear some other uncommon success stories. 

Our 182 Tommy Hannon is a first-year high school wrestler. He hasn’t been on the mat since 7th grade. He is an all-state football player and All-American rugby player. He had a total of 32 high school practices under his belt and just punched his ticket to state today. He took a chance on wrestling as a senior and it paid off. 

His story is one I will tell for the rest of my coaching career. You don’t need 10+ years of experience to be successful in this sport. If you aren’t afraid of hard work and are eager to learn you can make it happen. Anything is possible.

Tommy is Bishop Chatard’s first state qualifier since 2014.

31 minutes ago, MUD said:

So really he’s not a true frst year wrestler if he wrestled in 7th grade and before!!!

10 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

"Senior wrestling for the first time in high school (but did wrestle in 7th grade) to State"  isn't as catchy of a title for the thread.

I mean c’mon guys he hasn’t been on a mat in 5 years, nor was it mentioned in the post how long he had wrestled prior to stopping in 7th grade. Now if he started at like 4 years old, wrestled til 7th while doing high level comps and placing well in that time period it does take a little bit away from it. But nevertheless to take 5 years off from a sport that preaches putting in the work year round, still quite the feat.

2 minutes ago, Sutton047 said:

I mean c’mon guys he hasn’t been on a mat in 5 years, nor was it mentioned in the post how long he had wrestled prior to stopping in 7th grade. Now if he started at like 4 years old, wrestled til 7th while doing high level comps and placing well in that time period it does take a little bit away from it. But nevertheless to take 5 years off from a sport that preaches putting in the work year round, still quite the feat.

I agree. It's impressive. Was just trying to be funny.

8 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

Only can happen at heavier weights. Just saying. Don’t hate the messenger. Prove me wrong if you can.

Joel Kennedy Monroe Central was similar at 220. Great running back and stud athlete. Came out as a senior and ended up ranked and lost in a last second barn burner to the guy who got third. Agree, it’s really only a thing at upper weights where strength and athleticism goes farther than lower weights. 

2 hours ago, aoberlin said:

Only can happen at heavier weights. Just saying. Don’t hate the messenger. Prove me wrong if you can.

Not proving you wrong… But Closet one I know to this date  at a “lower weight”….. is John Leavell.  In his 2nd year was a qualifier and place winner. 3rd year was a runner-up; 4th was a state champ.

Yes…an accomplished family…. But first year was horrible and his 2nd year he was 12-18 I believe.  

Easier to do with a heavier athlete.  They key word is “athlete”.  Athletes can translate movement and adjust…. But they also have to have a drive in this sport to make it happen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.