To Logan Miller

blueandgold

It’s been a pleasure as a fan to watch you. I want to thank you for what you’ve contributed to Indiana wrestling and want to remind you that you are still a champion day in and day out regardless of how this season may have ended for you. You’ve got some of the greatest coaches in your corner who I know do a great job in not only making great wrestlers, but helping mold fine young men for society to have. So, I know without a doubt you’ll be one of those people we see down the line doing great things in life. I wish you the best and absolute good fortune in your next steps.

No one wants to go out like that, but yet it happens none the less.  The metal of a man is how you come back from these unexpected setbacks and where you take things afterward. There is always more to come in life than your time on the mat.  To all those ending their season earlier than a state title I hope you can one day see the benefits wrestling has given you beyond the final result. The true benefits of wrestling will always be more than just a state title.  For Logan, and the rest, please try to measure the journey as a whole rather than just dwelling on the final match.  The entire journey is what you will truly cherish and what will really impact the people you interact with  in your life. Embrace the wrestling journey which only a few in life were willing to ever take.  

Edited by MattM

12 hours ago, MattM said:

No one wants to go out like that, but yet it happens none the less.  The metal of a man is how you come back from these unexpected setbacks and where you take things afterward. There is always more to come in life than your time on the mat.  To all those ending their season earlier than a state title I hope you can one day see the benefits wrestling has given you beyond the final result. The true benefits of wrestling will always be more than just a state title.  For Logan, and the rest, please try to measure the journey as a whole rather than just dwelling on the final match.  The entire journey is what you will truly cherish and what will really impact the people you interact with  in your life. Embrace the wrestling journey which only a few in life were willing to ever take.  

I'll add to this. Having a seat right by the BB fellas, couldn't help but notice how he reacted afterwards. Took his few moments to let it sink in(tough to see). Then when Dunn hit his 2nd headlock, his reaction was priceless. Then,Dunn hits another headlock and Miller is on his feet(as were most) and applauding his foe. This shows alot of character about the young man. Nothing but respect. 

And I'll add, this went for the whole BB team. Had some chatter with some of the wrestlers and a coach. Straight class. 

13 hours ago, blueandgold said:

It’s been a pleasure as a fan to watch you. I want to thank you for what you’ve contributed to Indiana wrestling and want to remind you that you are still a champion day in and day out regardless of how this season may have ended for you. You’ve got some of the greatest coaches in your corner who I know do a great job in not only making great wrestlers, but helping mold fine young men for society to have. So, I know without a doubt you’ll be one of those people we see down the line doing great things in life. I wish you the best and absolute good fortune in your next steps.

Well said...Logan has been a force on the mat for a lot of years. Being around a lot of the younger kids coming up in Indiana Wrestling, Logan is an Icon to these kids. They love watching him compete, as do all of us.

A single match doesnt define a person, Logan is a great kid from a great family and has the support of a great program. 

50 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

I'll add to this. Having a seat right by the BB fellas, couldn't help but notice how he reacted afterwards. Took his few moments to let it sink in(tough to see). Then when Dunn hit his 2nd headlock, his reaction was priceless. Then,Dunn hits another headlock and Miller is on his feet(as were most) and applauding his foe. This shows alot of character about the young man. Nothing but respect. 

And I'll add, this went for the whole BB team. Had some chatter with some of the wrestlers and a coach. Straight class. 

That’s awesome to hear.  May as well cheer on the guy that took you out, especially if he keeps proving your loss to him wasn’t just some random fluke.   It’s also great to see a wrestler in this position get back with his team and continue to cheer on the rest of the teammates rather than sulk alone for most of the rest of the event or even stop showing up the week after to help the qualifiers prepare.   You need to take some time to internalize the magnitude of what just occurred, but afterward show that support and love to your teammates that have shed a lot of blood, sweat, and tears along the way with you.  He was at least fortunate enough to earn his state medal previously, and so while I don’t know Logan personally from what I’ve heard about him I’m sure he’s wanting to do whatever else he can for some of  his teammates to finally realize their  dream this time around.  

Edited by MattM

I’ll just add this to show his character.  When we got in the back tunnel, we hugged.  Told him I loved him and was sorry it ended that way.  His response: “Coach, I’m really sorry.  I know the team needed my points today and next weekend”.   Was tough for me to hold it together to be honest. 

I’ll add this. This young man came and congratulated my kid Dominic while we were speaking about his next match. Logan is a class act and had amazing career. The kid had some struggles as we all do and came back from them stronger! 

I wish Logan the best in the next chapter of his life. You don’t get to where he got without a lot of hard work, he will do great things.

10 hours ago, Darrick Snyder said:

I’ll just add this to show his character.  When we got in the back tunnel, we hugged.  Told him I loved him and was sorry it ended that way.  His response: “Coach, I’m really sorry.  I know the team needed my points today and next weekend”.   Was tough for me to hold it together to be honest. 

Glad you put this out here as well. I know this is about Logan but it can't go without saying the bond that happens with Coach/athletes. There's more to what is just seen on the mat. There's alot of titles in some cases tied to that "coach" label. Such as he being comfortable enough to come confide to you. Some athletes don't do that. I feel your pain through the words you put here and also see confidence in knowing that what you have helped groom this young man,he will be successful in whatever he chooses. Kudos coach 

I don"t know this young man personally but Sunday I gained much respect for him and his character.  He took time to message my son to wish him good luck this week and to tell him he deserved it the way he wrestled Saturday.   I think that was  a class act and meant alot .  I hate it for Logan but if its any consolation it made another young man"s DREAM come true.    Good luck to you in the future

I want to first say thank you to @blueandgold for starting this thread.  I was not sure who you were but have been informed and I have huge amounts of respect for you young man so again thank you for the kind words about Logan.

To everyone else who has commented on here thank you also so very much.  I have been around wrestling for many many years as an athlete, coach, ISWA board member & parent.  I have gotten to know lots and lots of kids and families from all over the state thru the many many years 

Thru all the years I have known this is a great sport that can have heartbreaking endings and results and equally great un-believable outcomes and accomplishments.

Logan has had a great career in the sport and has achieved things greater than I would have and could have expected for him.  The thing that makes me the happiest of all after everything he has gone thru (especially over the last two years) is how he carried himself after it all came to an end on Saturday.   Mom and I were completely devastated and honestly I could not think or rationalize what to do next, but seeing Logan stand up shake hands and then come back out and sit with his team was un-believable to me.  I talked to him a few times during the rest of the day and while I was teary he assured me he was OK and he was going to be fine just a little disappointed.  

Now to address all the above comments (like I said I have made many friends along the way during my time in the sport) and I thank all of you for your kind words.  Most of you I do not know personally but please seek me out at some point at any ISWA event so I can fist bump you and thank you personally for acknowledging what I know already is that Logan is an awesome & kind young man.

To @Darrick Snyder @mikemorgan what a wild ride its been over 4 years from a state title to a heartbreaking loss and everything in between (thanks to Mike for coming in to help navigate this last run).  You guys have been awesome and amazing and I know I will be friends with you guys forever and love you both.  Thank you for everything.

Lastly to @tiger92 thank you for post and to be honest it does not surprise me that Logan found your son on social media some how and reached out to him to congratulate him and wish him good luck going forward. 

Unfortunately for me I selected seats in the part of the arena that I had sat in the previous times I had been fortunate enough for Logan to be at Semi-state and did not want to break from tradition even though they were not in the "B-burg section".  This turned out to be right next to the Princeton fan section.  It was tough to be honest, but I did get to see what I think was mom and dad happy and elated for their son Jared Dunn thru the whole day.  To me that is what this sport is all about, as I was devastated they were elated and I honestly could not be mad about that.   I hope your son enjoys this experience and has the time of his life.  Its a great event being at the state finals and I know he will soak it all in and have great life experiences and take a ways.  I hope he makes a deep run and can achieve all he wants and dreams about.

To all other kids competing this weekend best of luck, stay safe & healthy and accomplish your dreams and enjoy the moments, soak it all in and never have regrets. 

My earliest memory of Logan Miller was at the Grand River Rumble years ago. My kid was wrestling the rookie rumble and @JMILL text me and asked what mat we were on. They came to watch Little 3B and Logan immediately started cheering Brendan like it was his brother. It caught my attention and thought how cool that was, they didn't know each other at all. I'm sure L3B doesn't even remember but as a parent I do and always will.

Like we say in the South, The Millers are good people and I think the world of them (even Jason)!

2 hours ago, JMILL said:

I want to first say thank you to @blueandgold for starting this thread.  I was not sure who you were but have been informed and I have huge amounts of respect for you young man so again thank you for the kind words about Logan.

To everyone else who has commented on here thank you also so very much.  I have been around wrestling for many many years as an athlete, coach, ISWA board member & parent.  I have gotten to know lots and lots of kids and families from all over the state thru the many many years 

Thru all the years I have known this is a great sport that can have heartbreaking endings and results and equally great un-believable outcomes and accomplishments.

Logan has had a great career in the sport and has achieved things greater than I would have and could have expected for him.  The thing that makes me the happiest of all after everything he has gone thru (especially over the last two years) is how he carried himself after it all came to an end on Saturday.   Mom and I were completely devastated and honestly I could not think or rationalize what to do next, but seeing Logan stand up shake hands and then come back out and sit with his team was un-believable to me.  I talked to him a few times during the rest of the day and while I was teary he assured me he was OK and he was going to be fine just a little disappointed.  

Now to address all the above comments (like I said I have made many friends along the way during my time in the sport) and I thank all of you for your kind words.  Most of you I do not know personally but please seek me out at some point at any ISWA event so I can fist bump you and thank you personally for acknowledging what I know already is that Logan is an awesome & kind young man.

To @Darrick Snyder @mikemorgan what a wild ride its been over 4 years from a state title to a heartbreaking loss and everything in between (thanks to Mike for coming in to help navigate this last run).  You guys have been awesome and amazing and I know I will be friends with you guys forever and love you both.  Thank you for everything.

Lastly to @tiger92 thank you for post and to be honest it does not surprise me that Logan found your son on social media some how and reached out to him to congratulate him and wish him good luck going forward. 

Unfortunately for me I selected seats in the part of the arena that I had sat in the previous times I had been fortunate enough for Logan to be at Semi-state and did not want to break from tradition even though they were not in the "B-burg section".  This turned out to be right next to the Princeton fan section.  It was tough to be honest, but I did get to see what I think was mom and dad happy and elated for their son Jared Dunn thru the whole day.  To me that is what this sport is all about, as I was devastated they were elated and I honestly could not be mad about that.   I hope your son enjoys this experience and has the time of his life.  Its a great event being at the state finals and I know he will soak it all in and have great life experiences and take a ways.  I hope he makes a deep run and can achieve all he wants and dreams about.

To all other kids competing this weekend best of luck, stay safe & healthy and accomplish your dreams and enjoy the moments, soak it all in and never have regrets. 

It’s no problem at all, sir. I have a huge amount of respect for the Brownsburg program and everything they bring to Indiana. They’re some of the hardest working kids and fiercest competitors on the mat, and they’re absolutely the nicest off of it. I know @Darrick Snyder has done a great job and I had the pleasure of being coached by @mikemorgan in high school as well, so I know the kind of advice he gives not only about wrestling, but being a good person in general. Brownsburg has always been all class, and judging by the responses, Logan surely exemplifies that. I’ll always root for my Hendricks County neighbors.

10 hours ago, JMILL said:

this shows what I said in my post, he was raised by parents who taught him the right way. Thank you for raising such a great kid.

This is Jared's coach.  I would like to express my respect for Logan and how he handled the loss.  That's a tough loss to swallow, and he stayed composed and professional.  I know it meant a lot to Jared having Logan reach out, congratulate, and wish him luck.  I tell my wrestlers that losing is part of life, and wrestling can be a useful tool in preparing us how to handle and bounce back from our losses.  All of Princeton are proud of you, as well as the state of Indiana.  Approach life in the same way you approached wrestling, and you will succeed.  Good luck, Logan Miller. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.