Most Impressive Semi-State Runs Ever

blueandgold

Jordan Vaughn, Franklin Central (2015): Placed third in the regional but caught fire at New Castle beating Jack Chastain along the way and went on the next weekend running all the way to the finals where he was finally stopped by Nick Lee.

Reed Egli, Evansville Mater Dei (2021): Pinned his way through a tough 113 weight class last year and was ranked #11 in the state (maybe even lower), but unfortunately drew Alex Cottey Friday morning at Bankers in what could’ve been a finals match had Alex not had to default to 4th place the prior weekend.

Eli Stock from Monrovia took 3rd at regionals with a loss to Vanhorn of Franklin Community. Then avenged that loss the next weekend and won semi-state then followed that up by winning state the next weekend.

3 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Jordan Vaughn, Franklin Central (2015): Placed third in the regional but caught fire at New Castle beating Jack Chastain along the way and went on the next weekend running all the way to the finals where he was finally stopped by Nick Lee.

Reed Egli, Evansville Mater Dei (2021): Pinned his way through a tough 113 weight class last year and was ranked #11 in the state (maybe even lower), but unfortunately drew Alex Cottey Friday morning at Bankers in what could’ve been a finals match had Alex not had to default to 4th place the prior weekend.

He also wrestled Alex Cottey very close.  Don’t be surprised is Reed comes out this Saturday on a mission.

4 hours ago, blueandgold said:

I think Vaughn hit slide-bys on everyone.  If I recall there were several equally matched guys at New Castle, Chastain, Ellis, Napier, McKinney, and Eldred. Good bracket.

2 hours ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Did perry meridian have a guy back in 2013 that was unranked or ranked super low win senistate then went on to win state beating the #1 back to back. 
Correct me if I am wron but I think it was Riley Mcclurg?

Riley was ranked 8th with three losses going into Semi-State. He had John Tatom in the ticket round who many predicted to beat him. Tatom was injured prior to the match, and Riley strategized well and upset him in the ticket round. From there, he was confident as ever and upset Austin McCloskey two weekends in a row.

3 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Riley was ranked 8th with three losses going into Semi-State. He had John Tatom in the ticket round who many predicted to beat him. Tatom was injured prior to the match, and Riley strategized well and upset him in the ticket round. From there, he was confident as ever and upset Austin McCloskey two weekends in a row.

So Savage!

3 hours ago, Southern Side said:

He also wrestled Alex Cottey very close.  Don’t be surprised is Reed comes out this Saturday on a mission.

He certainly can, but it won't be easy.  He got a tough draw (without drawing into Miller or Gilbert) with two 50/50 matches out the gate.  

18 hours ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

Eli Stock from Monrovia took 3rd at regionals with a loss to Vanhorn of Franklin Community. Then avenged that loss the next weekend and won semi-state then followed that up by winning state the next weekend.

My guy Carson drew Vanhorn first round regionals his sophmore year and lost 7-4, That regional you speak of got all 4 through the next weekend and had 6 top 25 ranked 170s in it, 

VanHorn,Stock, Ciccerelli and Hays all advanced to state with studs T Carson and Runyan not even making it out of regionals.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

5 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

How about Ashton Jackson making a statement last year, and beating #1 at the time Jeffrey Bailey 8-2, and winning a state title the next weekend? I don't think most people at the time even thought him as a title contender before that.

I've spoken to him, but don't know him personally. However, I've watched him wrestle for a few years. Every year, he was getting noticeably better.

Trust me, if you were paying attention, you knew. He was talking to kids, asking questions and trying to figure out his opponents (even in middle school).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.