NFHS rules survey

Chris Cooper

I feel like the NFHS really hit the nail on the head with the questions this year.  I really think these could be positive changes to high school wrestling.  To summarize the some of the questions

Q3) 6 matches allowed per day in a regular season tournament.

Q4) Nearfall to match college style, 2 points for a 2 count, 4 points for a 4 count.

Q5) Having a visual count for stalling when wrestlers are on their feet.

Q6) Out of bound rule to only having one supporting point out of bounds.

Q7 and Q8) Removing facial hair rule.

I'm not sure what Q5 would look like, but it's interesting to me.  College out of bounds is long overdue, this would simplify the out of bounds call tremendously.  

These are all very good options. The college out of bounds has been on the list for a few years if I recall correctly. The 4point nearfall was on there last year.

I hope they act upon these instead of adding more dumb pre-match protocols that have nothing to do with wrestling.

The others on the list were

1. State tournament-allow Friday night weigh in 

2. Allow recertification during season

9. Remove 10 ft circle

If I'd rank the highest priority of ones I want

1. 4 point nearfall

2. Remove facial hair rule

3. 5 count on feet(I'm assuming this is when in belly to back position when someone stands up)
4. College out of bounds(just don't think they'll go to this even though I want it)

5. 6 matches in a day(not the biggest fan due to adding to already longer days)

The Friday weigh-in, recertification, 10 ft circle stuff doesn't affect wrestling

I actually have a rules question that hopefully someone can answer. What is the current ruling about the knee sleeve that has the pad in it? I believe it was a point of emphasis a few years back but I can't find anything in this years rule book about it. Throughout the course of the year we have had officials who haven't said anything (I am totally fine with as long as it's the same for both teams), we have had officials ask our wrestler to tuck the sleeve part behind the kneepad, and we have had an official start injury time and hit our wrestler for stalling. The last situation ironically happened while the wrestler from the opposing team also had a full leg sleeve on. I understand mistakes happen and the official even apologized about it but I was hoping someone could offer insight to what the current ruling about knee sleeves is.

3 minutes ago, Banks said:

it has to tuck into the singlet and sock. So leggings that are worn under the singlet are okay. Basically there cant be any skin showing. But if you shorten the ends by tucking them into the sleeve and making just the pad visible you should be fine. 

Oddly enough the one situation where we got hit for stalling on this and injury time started was for a kid who met both of those requirements. Seems as if the rule hasn’t been made very clear to a lot of officials and could use some clarification. Although I agree with other earlier posts that I’d rather they prioritize rules that have to do with actual wrestling

14 minutes ago, Banks said:

it has to tuck into the singlet and sock. So leggings that are worn under the singlet are okay. Basically there cant be any skin showing. But if you shorten the ends by tucking them into the sleeve and making just the pad visible you should be fine. 

I don't think this is correct. We had an official earlier this year say this year that you get 1" above and below the pad. If you exceed the 1" requirement, then it must be a stirrup, meaning it has to be strapped to the bottom of wrestlers foot. 

9 minutes ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

Oddly enough the one situation where we got hit for stalling on this and injury time started was for a kid who met both of those requirements. Seems as if the rule hasn’t been made very clear to a lot of officials and could use some clarification. Although I agree with other earlier posts that I’d rather they prioritize rules that have to do with actual wrestling

NFHS 2022 Wrestling Rules Book 
Rule 4-3 Special Equipment
ART. 5 Wrestlers shall not wear wristbands, sweatbands, bicep bands or leg or arm sleeves that do not contain a pad during a match.

NFHS 2022 Wrestling Case Book 
4.3.5 SITUATION:

Wrestler B reports to the scorer's table wearing: (a) sweatbands; (b) wristbands; (c) bicep bands; or (d) arm/leg sleeve(s) that do not contain padding.

RULING: Technical violation in (a), (b), (c) and (d). Any wrestler reporting to the scorer's table wearing sweatbands, wristbands, bicep bands or arm/leg sleeve(s) without padding is not properly equipped. Wrestler B would be charged an injury time-out and will have 1½ minutes of injury time in order to become properly equipped and ready to wrestle. He/she would also be penalized with a technical violation and a match point will be awarded to the opponent.

38 minutes ago, Griffith said:

NFHS 2022 Wrestling Rules Book 
Rule 4-3 Special Equipment
ART. 5 Wrestlers shall not wear wristbands, sweatbands, bicep bands or leg or arm sleeves that do not contain a pad during a match.

NFHS 2022 Wrestling Case Book 
4.3.5 SITUATION:

Wrestler B reports to the scorer's table wearing: (a) sweatbands; (b) wristbands; (c) bicep bands; or (d) arm/leg sleeve(s) that do not contain padding.

RULING: Technical violation in (a), (b), (c) and (d). Any wrestler reporting to the scorer's table wearing sweatbands, wristbands, bicep bands or arm/leg sleeve(s) without padding is not properly equipped. Wrestler B would be charged an injury time-out and will have 1½ minutes of injury time in order to become properly equipped and ready to wrestle. He/she would also be penalized with a technical violation and a match point will be awarded to the opponent.

So according to this the sleeves are all good then if they have a pad in them? We have had multiple refs give different directives to our kids each time and all of their sleeves have a pad in them.

Watching college wrestling out on the edge of the mat is exciting! There is lots of action, and scoring which is good for the fans. It should also make things easier on the refs making calls on the edge of the mat.  What is the process for these type of rule changes? When would we know if there are any rule changes?

17 hours ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

So according to this the sleeves are all good then if they have a pad in them? We have had multiple refs give different directives to our kids each time and all of their sleeves have a pad in them.

I was informed by an Official (psst if you are reading this a little help) at our Sectional, the ruling for this came from Mr. Faulkens in an email. It was explained to us at the Sectional and again at the Regional that it can not be more than 2" above or below the pad. Most have said if it extends and stays tucked in socks, singlet, shoes, etc. they are not looking that closely. However if it comes out and is in violation of the 2" limit, penalties will be assessed. I too mentioned the rule and as it is written in the book and told that the Commissioner's ruling supersedes the rule in the book. 

As stated by previous comments here, this seems to be called a little differently everywhere you go and whomever the Official may be at that time. Hopefully our association can get this cleared up and it is clarified moving forward. 

Edited by XCard

1 hour ago, XCard said:

I was informed by an Official (psst if you are reading this a little help) at our Sectional, the ruling for this came from Mr. Faulkens in an email. It was explained to us at the Sectional and again at the Regional that it can not be more than 2" above or below the pad. Most have said if it extends and stays tucked in socks, singlet, shoes, etc. they are not looking that closely. However if it comes out and is in violation of the 2" limit, penalties will be assessed. I too mentioned the rule and as it is written in the book and told that the Commissioner's ruling supersedes the rule in the book. 

As stated by previous comments here, this seems to be called a little differently everywhere you go and whomever the Official may be at that time. Hopefully our association can get this cleared up and it is clarified moving forward. 

Thank you!

I would also add the push out rule. I know some dislike it, but it wuld keep the action more centered. And make it so that it is progressive. 1st - 3rd time 1 point, 4th time 2 points. It is so tiring to see these wrestlers jump to the out of bounds line and not doing anything. If you stand from the defensive position and the top wrestler runs you out, same rules for him. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.