"Worst" Ticket Round Draw Ever

purdue02

The prior years State Champ vs. the prior years State Runner-Up (3x qualifier at that point).  

State champ was undefeated until regionals where he was upset in the finals by someone he has beaten several times prior.  This created this epic ticket round battle of 1 vs. 2.  The Runner-up may have been undefeated going into the ticket round clash.  Runner-Up loses and goes home his Senior year empty handed and missed out on being a 4 time qualifier.  State champ goes on to somewhat seamlessly run through the state competition on his way to repeating as champ.   Including beating the regional wrestle he was upset by in the semi-state finals and state finals match.   I was fortunate enough to be right at matside for this one.  

Just going to leave the names out because at this point in the matches legacy it won’t take long for someone to point out who they are.  This one is always the go to poster-child response for those calling for wrestlebacks at semi-state.  

Edited by MattM

12 minutes ago, mikemorgan said:

Rankings may be a little off

#2 Brice Coleman WC vs #1 Elliott Rodgers Cathedral

Brice beat #3 Cooper Noehre at sectionals, lost at Regionals and drew Elliott.

Cooper might have been 2 and Brice 3.  Either way.

Brice was #4 that year, but still.

2 hours ago, nkraus said:

Sawyer Miller vs Knapp

Rematch of the state 3rd place match the year prior.

And just the year before that, same weight, was Schuyler Phillips vs. Forrest Glogouski. Returning runner-up vs. returning 6th placer, I’m pretty sure both ranked top 3 at the time. Phillips was upset at regionals and gave Forrest his only loss of the season in the ticket round. Forrest came back the next year and was the runner-up to Chad Red.

Edited by Caleb Spires

In 2020, at 120, Jacob Simone of HSE was ranked #4 or 5 (I don't recall exactly) and drew #1 Zeke Seltzer (Who won state) in the ticket round after having lost by 2 to #2 and eventual runner up Carson Eldred from Westfield at Regionals. I believe that Diaz from Wheeler took 3rd that year and he and Simone had split that offseason in two tight matches.

Obviously no way to predict what he would have placed, but worst draw I've ever had dealt to a wrestler in my program for sure.

As you can see by the numerous examples being given here, this pretty much happens yearly at one of the Semi-States.

All it takes if for (2) of the top guys in the state to be at the same regional. One of them has to lose & if they draw into one of the other regionals that has a top guy then unfortunately someone who is capable of placing doesn't even get to go to State.

Edited by SIACfan

02/03 James from Pike vs Thompson from franklin county 2 years in a row. Thompson entered both match unbeaten on the season. James went on to be runner up at semi-state in 02 and Semi-state champ in 03. Pretty tough draw there. Also 2018 Parris and Guhl, At least worse draw for Guhl. This was a rematch of the Semi-state Championship match from the year before. Any other Draw he has a shot at making it and maybe even placing.

2 minutes ago, awill0352 said:

I’m new to HS wrestling, but why don’t they do wrestle backs starting from the ticket/blood round? Wouldn’t this prevent these issues?

you would think so, im not sure why its never been implemented, but its very talked about.  

9 minutes ago, awill0352 said:

I’m new to HS wrestling, but why don’t they do wrestle backs starting from the ticket/blood round? Wouldn’t this prevent these issues?

The IHSAA pretty much said they don’t have it for any other sport, so it’s not necessary for wrestling.   Although I’d point out that in several other individual sports cross-country, track, golf, swimming, gymnastics there is a pretty clear cut advancement group due to those athletes topping the entire field of competition.  Where as for wrestling at the semi-state and state level you get put into a group based on a random formula then only compete against one individual at a time.  Thus you could be eliminated without having to prove where you would stack up against more of the field of competitors that happened to placed in a different section of that bracket.  

Edited by MattM

4 minutes ago, MattM said:

The IHSAA pretty much said they don’t have it for any other sport, so it’s not necessary for wrestling.   Although I’d point out that in several other individual sports cross-country, track, golf, swimming there is a pretty clear cut advancement due to those advancing topping the entire field.  Where as for wrestling you are only competing against one individual at a time and could be eliminated without having to prove themselves against more of the field of athletes.  

IHSAA should really pay attention to the wrestling state series then. Its clear every year that wrestle backs need in. Too many kids miss out due to drawing number 1s and there isnt much you can do about it, even winning the regional doesnt give you a sealed chance. 

1 minute ago, The guy said:

IHSAA should really pay attention to the wrestling state series then. Its clear every year that wrestle backs need in. Too many kids miss out due to drawing number 1s and there isnt much you can do about it, even winning the regional doesnt give you a sealed chance. 

I always find it funny when a kid pulls an upset at a sectional or regional and gets punished for it. I remember my senior year, Ty Haskins had upset Malik Hall at regionals, and Malik Hall got an easy draw while Haskins pulled Bettich in the ticket round. Even this year, Kaptur Nowaczyk beat Johnny Cortez for the first time this year at sectionals, and now Kaptur has to wrestle the #10 in the state while Cortez gets a much easier road to state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.