Sportsmanship

cfrcf2

I really don't care who I piss off with this post. Having watched and followed wrestling for over 10 years, I always was impressed by the fact that even though teams are rivals the fans were very classy compared to other sports. In our area fans have always supported each other even though they want to beat each other. When times are tough such as an injury to a wrestler or for a wrestlers family or school the support is there. You traditionally don't hear fans boo a high school wrestler. But I guess times have changed and it's acceptable to chant that a high school wrestler is overrated from opposing parents. Sometimes you have no idea what that young person may be going through and they weren't quite up to par that day. Or yes they might not have been good enough to win a match. Pretty pathetic example for parents to set for kids. I'm quite sure that no one likes to be treated that way. Call me old fashioned, but I personally don't think that anyone deserves to be treated that way. 

1 minute ago, cfrcf2 said:

I really don't care who I piss off with this post. Having watched and followed wrestling for over 10 years, I always was impressed by the fact that even though teams are rivals the fans were very classy compared to other sports. In our area fans have always supported each other even though they want to beat each other. When times are tough such as an injury to a wrestler or for a wrestlers family or school the support is there. You traditionally don't hear fans boo a high school wrestler. But I guess times have changed and it's acceptable to chant that a high school wrestler is overrated from opposing parents. Sometimes you have no idea what that young person may be going through and they weren't quite up to par that day. Or yes they might not have been good enough to win a match. Pretty pathetic example for parents to set for kids. I'm quite sure that no one likes to be treated that way. Call me old fashioned, but I personally don't think that anyone deserves to be treated that way. 

Did this happen at Richmond? IF it did its pathetic.

Majority of parents, wrestler, and fans won't know the amount of pressure those kids in the finals, the ones trying to make a run at a state title put on themselves. 

I was at Richmond and didn't see or hear this happening.   I am sorry if it did happen.  These kids work hard every day working up to the state series.

Edited by btk111

Not sure why everyone is shocked. Society is rapidly changing. People vilify hero’s like policemen (more and more are getting shot each day). People are just waking into stores and taking what they want. People refuse to take their hats off and stand for the national anthem. And idiots boo kids. More and more morals and values are going out the window. Hopefully this is just a “phase” that we all will work through… but… I wouldn’t count on it. It’s a shame. 

If the people booing have spent more than a couple days in a real room and really knew what these kids go through, they would never boo. If they did wrestle and still boo, they clearly have forgotten what it takes just to make it through one tough practice. So.. for you boooers.. get off your fat a..es, go buy a pair of shoes, and try to do half a practice. I don’t mean sitting watching your kid. I mean actually try to do what these young kids do every day. Nothing like going to a tough youth practice and watching an old fat jerk ripping their kid on the way out. Those are your booers (for the most part).  

So basically… for those who boo kids…. mentally try to put yourself in the kids shoes. It’s an emotional sport and these kids spend countless hours doing what you would never be able to do for one single practice. If you see something you don’t agree with… fine.. shake you head and have a discussion with your wrestler(s) that you would never want to see that from them. It’s ok to disagree with what a kid does in a heated moment. I promise the kid that slips up will have coaches and maybe parents that will try to address the issue. Having disconnected idiots booing them is not going to help. I assure you that a member of your team or maybe even family will slip up and have a less than stellar moment along their journey. How do you want the crowd to react when that happens? 

#StopTheBoos

#YouTryItFatA$$

2 hours ago, Mattyb said:

If the people booing have spent more than a couple days in a real room and really knew what these kids go through, they would never boo. If they did wrestle and still boo, they clearly have forgotten what it takes just to make it through one tough practice. So.. for you boooers.. get off your fat a..es, go buy a pair of shoes, and try to do half a practice. I don’t mean sitting watching your kid. I mean actually try to do what these young kids do every day. Nothing like going to a tough youth practice and watching an old fat jerk ripping their kid on the way out. Those are your booers (for the most part).  

#StopTheBoos

#YouTryItFatA$$

I can attest to the fact that you truly do not know how hard practice is until you actually participate all practice.  Regardless, parents need to be better human beings, rather than boo ANY kid.

13 hours ago, DocDan said:

Flagrant poor sportsmanship warrants a reaction from the fans sometimes. I got those shoes if you wanna grab yours Mattyb.

Yes it does… the reaction is to shake your head and make a teachable moment for your guys. I can assure you that the lesson taught by one of Indiana’s fine coaches will be better for that kid then a boo by some random tough guy in the crowd. This isn’t WWE. It’s youth sports Dano.

I’ve got my shoes and coach everyday. I’ll  be wrestling today at 2:40. Come on over to #TheCounty. I’ll make sure the kids don’t boo ya. Always looking for a good coach to come wrestle with the kids and be a mentor. It feels good to give back. I’ve been doing it for years. Trying to teach them right. Getting old, but still trying to do my best. Just like the kids. 

Pretty sure I may have touched a nerve of one of dem mad leaving practice parents. We will never know. I know I took the bait… but… this needs to be talked about. 

Go troll elsewhere and enjoy booing kids. I’ll stand by my statement. 

#DontBooKids

#TeachLifeLessons

Edited by Mattyb

I am so glad my kid wrestled before this started. He wrestled a few kids many times, sometimes winning, sometimes losing. I like to think of those parents as my friends, even to this day. It is unfortunate that some parents live through their kids on the mat. Some of you who knew me then might be surprised, but I always wanted friends more than conquests.

Austin Gomez, an Illinois kid now wrestling for Wisconsin, but previously at Iowa State, also got abused by the crowd at Carver-Hawkeye Arena last week  The idiots in the crowd even verbally went after his parents and teenage sister who were in the stands.  Austin came back out of the tunnel after his match and did/said something to them to address it, but good for him.  Just because you buy a ticket doesn't mean you can be bum of the week and suffer no blowback. 

I witnessed a small school, that has never won an athletic state championship and most cant pronounce, move six athletes to the Semi-State level. Yet these kids were asked by fans of the opposite school during a Championship match to settle down when there were so few fans in the stadium cheering him. It left great impressions of that other school to be sure. 

I have often felt goosebumps when a kid who is obviously injured, yet get up and walk off the mat to being cheered by all fans. Yesterday, I witnessed a kid who was obviously struggling to walk and who had to injury default on the day, get booed by a very loud audience as he walked off the mat. Whether he was booed, or it was his opponent, it did not matter, I was happy he was able to get up and hope him quick recovery. He has been a worthy opponent to my son before and I wish him and his family all the best. These are just my observations from what should have been a great day, as I witnessed a lot of great wrestling. My freshman who lost in regionals came away stating that the stadium was a toxic place to be. 

However since it has been said recently, that the same things happen at other locations, we seem to be as one losing our American Spirit and it will have an impact on those young ears and eyes who are still developing their belief system. I ask, that we as parents and fans of these athletes, not only encourage, but with good spirit cheer them on next week, win or lose. I truly believe that at this level, there are no accidents, but hard work, sacrifices by many (athletes, parents, coaches, and others behind the scenes), and in the end desire of the kid to be on the mat placing themselves in front of everyone on the state’s biggest stage. That, in itself, should have us giving our respect to the kids who we see, not just our own.

#StopTheBoos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.