Girl semistate qualifiers

SSHS

By my account, there were 4 yesterday (Crull, Ocampo, Cantu, Buchanan; but correct me if I missed someone), which is definitely a new record for IN. I believe there has only ever been 1 or 2 in a given year.

Special shout out to Buchanan who qualified at 113. We're starting to rack up a fair number of 106 lb qualifiers over the years (I can think of at least 7 girls), but I believe Kayla Miracle is the only other semistate qualifier to weigh more than 106 (qualified at 120 her jr year).

11 minutes ago, Beastly12 said:

My question is why does weight matter at all? Some of these girls are the best Indiana has ever seen. And there not cutting 10 plus pounds to be a 106 like some

of these boys are. 

We just mean that the higher the class, the tougher it gets.

Sarah is an Olympic medalist and couldn't quite get to state.

At the same time Alara Boyd started making age group world teams, she was winning slightly more than half her matches at 140-145.

As a dad of two girls that I'm constantly telling they can accomplish anything they want if they work at it, I'm geeked out of my gord at the success these girls are having. Sadly, that testosterone thing still brings some benefits, so weight class for these girls is going to be a discussion point.

The tougher it gets?? It’s tough period at all weights! Sarah and Alara are where they are from extensive training and hard work from when they started. They are no longer the wrestler they were in High school. This is the crap my daughter has heard a lot…  “you are only successful because your a 106”  Buchanan went to 106 at North Montgomery and got beat before making it to the finals. Other girls went from 106 to 98….. Many boys have done the same.. It is ridiculous to me to take anything from any of these girls because as you and so many more believe they have it easier. They are all amazing no matter there weight class! They have worked there butt off to compete…. Does testosterone bring some benefits to boys absolutely but technique beings benefits to these top girls. And it is proven every week! That’s all! Good luck to your girls!

2 hours ago, Beastly12 said:

The tougher it gets?? It’s tough period at all weights! Sarah and Alara are where they are from extensive training and hard work from when they started. They are no longer the wrestler they were in High school. This is the crap my daughter has heard a lot…  “you are only successful because your a 106”  Buchanan went to 106 at North Montgomery and got beat before making it to the finals. Other girls went from 106 to 98….. Many boys have done the same.. It is ridiculous to me to take anything from any of these girls because as you and so many more believe they have it easier. They are all amazing no matter there weight class! They have worked there butt off to compete…. Does testosterone bring some benefits to boys absolutely but technique beings benefits to these top girls. And it is proven every week! That’s all! Good luck to your girls!

Agree 100% with all of this. Sorry my message seemed to be diminishing anyone's accomplishments. I'm a huge admirer of all these girls and watch all of their international matches. I also believe that a couple of the girls competing this weekend are the best we've ever seen at their age in this state. Sometimes the analyst inside me is tough to turn off and I strike the wrong note.

6 hours ago, Beastly12 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not hearing or seeing anyone here take anything away from these kids, quite the opposite. I know, I'm not taking anything away from them. I'm pretty damn impressed and have been for a while (including Rihanna Murphy if she were still in state).

If anything, "they have it harder." I think that is the point folks are making. It's subjective, but I think Miracle was as technically skilled and worked as hard as anyone in that 106 weight class when she qualified (including Micic and Boston).

Obviously by your response you don’t understand what exactly was said.  When you say to a girl or her parents that wrestle lower weights. It’s harder when they go up you are taking something away from them. Believe differently all you want but I know many of the lower weight girls in Indiana and it has been said to them. And it makes them extremely upset. Not trying to argue just stating a fact. And never did I or anyone else say anything negative about any girl. It’s no secret how a awesome Alara and Sarah were and are. I was simply stating that facts. Have a great evening!

13 minutes ago, Beastly12 said:

Obviously by your response you don’t understand what exactly was said... It’s harder when they go up you are taking something away from them. Believe differently all you want but I know many of the lower weight girls in Indiana and it has been said to them. And it makes them extremely upset. 

Perhaps not, I miss things all the time. You mentioned 'taking something away' which sounded to me like the 'why' was a question of skill/work vs strength (aka testosterone). I haven't had to deal with what they or you do, so I'll acknowledge that.

And, I'm sure that it gets aggravating if you hear it frequently, and you believe it's belittling accomplishments. However, don't you have factor in the weight class itself? That statement isn't limited to the girls. My son wrestles 106 and he's been hearing it for years (albeit not from adults...just him and other kids clacking). I'd bet every kid who has won the State at 106/113 has heard it a lot.

Can't we agree that wrestling 106/113 is not the same as 126 whether you are a girl or boy? Strength, average age, and physical development are different. 'To me, and maybe only me, to acknowledge that does not in any shape or form diminish skill, effort or accomplishment.

Good luck to your daughter, not that she needs it. I look forward to watching her for a while.

I think you all are talking about two totally different things. One - facts, two - social graces. Let's move this away from boys/girls and weight classes, since that seems controversial. My kid wrestles in one of the weaker regionals in the state. That's a fact, the statistics over the years on state qualifiers/placements bear this out and I acknowledge that. However, I would be pretty pissed if someone walked up to him right after winning regionals and told him that he wouldn't even make it out of sectionals if we lived elsewhere. Even if they're right! You could make the same argument comparing a state title in Indiana vs. a stronger/weaker state, or the same weight class being stronger/weaker from one year to the next. Someone always has it easier/harder than another person. Everyone knows that, just don't be a jerk about it or intentionally try to diminish someone's accomplishments because of it.

57 minutes ago, SSHS said:

I think you all are talking about two totally different things. One - facts, two - social graces. Let's move this away from boys/girls and weight classes, since that seems controversial. My kid wrestles in one of the weaker regionals in the state. That's a fact, the statistics over the years on state qualifiers/placements bear this out and I acknowledge that. However, I would be pretty pissed if someone walked up to him right after winning regionals and told him that he wouldn't even make it out of sectionals if we lived elsewhere. Even if they're right! You could make the same argument comparing a state title in Indiana vs. a stronger/weaker state, or the same weight class being stronger/weaker from one year to the next. Someone always has it easier/harder than another person. Everyone knows that, just don't be a jerk about it or intentionally try to diminish someone's accomplishments because of it.

Well said.

Really sorry, @Beastly12, that I was insensitive to the battle your daughter and others are fighting to have their accomplishments acknowledged to the level they deserve.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.