Most advancers ever AND least advancers ever...by the same team.... in the same year?

maligned

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my beloved alma mater Goshen Redhawks may have accomplished the most bizarre feat of the postseason. I've paid close attention to the program's postseason since I was in 5th grade in 1988. It's possible during the 4-team sectional era that we once advanced all 14, but I think the 13 we advanced to regional this year was at least a tie for most during that time period. (And we came agonizingly close to getting 14.)

As regional approached, I knew we didn't have the high-end talent to take a big group to semi-state, but the result was worse than expected--only 2 of 13 got through. This low total of 2 to semi-state is also (I believe) at least a tie for the record in the past 35 years--but a record in the opposite direction. Our least ever. 😳 Strange year!

Anyone else experience a bizarre year like this before?

My senior year at Lake Central we qualified all 14 to the regional then 12 to the semi-state. We ended up with only two going to state, the ticket round was brutal to my teammates. I remember warming up and one of my teammates had Miracle in the go round and I remember telling him that the whole crowd will be against him and to stay focused...it unfortunately did not work out for us.

My senior year of high school we took 12 to semi-state with one of our wrestlers who didn't make it being ranked and got suspended from school the week of regionals and the other broke his ankle at sectionals. We ended up getting 8 through to state that year. Fast forward as a coach this year we took 11 to regionals which is the most we have had in recent years. We came out only getting 2 through. This was also a very weird for us as a few of our guys I definitely felt were semi-state level kids that ran into other tough kids at regionals. It's frustrating to sit and see multiple kids that our kids beat wrestling this weekend and we aren't but that's the name of the game. It happens every year maybe moreso at other semi-states. Our sectional and regional seemed to have maybe not quite as much top end talent but a lot more depth than when I was in high school which I expected but still felt strange to me. 

13 hours ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

My senior year at Lake Central we qualified all 14 to the regional then 12 to the semi-state. We ended up with only two going to state, the ticket round was brutal to my teammates. I remember warming up and one of my teammates had Miracle in the go round and I remember telling him that the whole crowd will be against him and to stay focused...it unfortunately did not work out for us.

I remember it well.  You are right.  Lake Central fans were the only ones in the crowded Merrillville gym not pulling for Miracle.

1 hour ago, MUSKEEWRESTLING said:

I remember it well.  You are right.  Lake Central fans were the only ones in the crowded Merrillville gym not pulling for Miracle.

MD is very used to having the entire gym against them. We are very accustomed to such situations, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

6 hours ago, jpt189 said:

Castle back 2017 sent 13 to semistate and every one of them had a death draw of some sort and none advanced to state. 

Wow. I didn't remember that. And they got all those 13 to semi-state by beating their Evansville sectional opponent at regional--so no slouches among them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.