Jay Co. Regionals

WrestlingFan765

23 hours ago, coachi123 said:

would love to see some of you jokers  give reffing a try. lets put you on the mat, your son or daughter in the stands, then let Bellmont parents say nasty personal things toward a person they dont know. calling someone a fat *** ** a ***** if front of that officials children. 

Not trying to be funny, but I remember bumping up multiple weights and age groups to face you and still getting a first period tech. I have worn those stripes and taken the heat from biased crowds. The kids deserve the best you can offer, and if you can't do that, get out of the way.

21 hours ago, greco165 said:

Not trying to be funny, but I remember bumping up multiple weights and age groups to face you and still getting a first period tech. I have worn those stripes and taken the heat from biased crowds. The kids deserve the best you can offer, and if you can't do that, get out of the way.

Another Level Netflix GIF by Blown Away

On 1/31/2022 at 12:34 PM, justaDCguy said:

Sleeping a lot on some of the Yorktown and Delta kids. Both schools are back on the rise with good young coaches! They’ll be a problem going forward!

The Delta sectional will not fare well this weekend. They have some young talent coming through but it’s gonna take a few years to rise to the top. A lot of the DC haven’t had to face much adversity this season and will show on Saturday. I could be wrong and it’s just my opinion. Good luck to all the athletes this weekend. 

My Sectional predictions were top notch.  13 out of 14 Champions and had almost every finals correct.  

106 Johns-Bollinger-Cline-Keen

113 Rowles-Smithley-Keith-Stuffel

120 Ruble-Mosier-Curtis-Overby

126 Wood-Cook-Jett-Brooks

132 Bertsch-Uhlman-Reiley-Bollenbacher

138 Litchfield-Gerencer-Tuttle-Clark

145 Abbott-Kinnick-McAfee-Lewis

152 Currie-Dull-Manley-Barr

160 Myers-Jones-Abbott-Funk

170 Johnson-Summersett-Russell-Gourley

182 Page-Friedt-Currie-Wenk

195 Kukelhan-Ingenito-Bluhm-Jones

220 Heyerly-Kennedy-Waters-Martin

285 Orr-Cruz-Hiatt-Robinson

What a crazy Regional.  I heard from the ticket sales table it was the 5 largest crowd on hand since Jay County started hosting Regionals.  Packed gym.

My predictions.....47 out of 56 placers... but 13 out of the 14 Champions (I had 195 flip flopped in the finals).

My brief 2¢ on a few of them, and a few others:

106 Johns majored Bollinger, which I think most expected.  But...Johns looked much bigger.  Bollinger will be a force next year.  I think Bellmont's Smedley could have finished 2nd had he not been injured.

120 Ruble vs Overby in the Semi's....Overby came out aggressive and looked to slam Ruble...but appeared to hit heads and Overby took the brunt of it.  I think Ruble pinned him soon after in the 1st but it looked to be a fun match before the slam.  The Overby/Curtis match for 3rd was a battle too.

132 Bertsch vs Ulman.  Man....I really though Uhlman would have something for Bertsch this time.  I think last week was Bertsch doing just enough to win...when I thought Uhlman closed the gap.  Wrong.  Bertsch then went full throttle and Tech'd him with ease at Regional.

138 I REALLY wanted to see Gerencser vs Litchfield in the finals.  The much improved Clark took him out in the Semi's in a great match.  Litchfield went on to win again.  Gerencser then went on to have a great match vs Tuttle for 3rd and won.  Tuttle has a very winnable match vs Eberhart 1st round at SS.  We all knew 138 was loaded this year at Sectional and Regional.  Loshe came out aggressive and got a takedown on Gerencser, which only lasted seconds until he got out of position and pinned.  Some kids with great records went out fast, although I often question some of these loaded records by who they've wrestled.  

152 Currie over Dull yet again.  The biggest match here was 1st round Evan Watt vs Drew Barr.  I'm not sure if there were words or prior history between the 2 but....Barr took it too far.  I didn't even get to watch McAfee who was wrestling 1 mat over because I was watching the cheap shots from Barr.  Absolutely awful.  The ref did a great job of awarding penalty points to Watt twice before the final crossface from Barr got him DQ'd.  Kudos to that ref.  The Yorktown staff handled it professionally.  Watt Injury Forfeited the rest of his matches.  It's on Berne Witness if you'd like to check it out.  Mat 3 a little over and hour into the broadcast.  The 2nd penalty point is hard to see but they both go out of bounds.  Barr pushes straight down on Watts face getting up.  Terrible way to act and go out.

160 Duke vs Jones was great.  Both had great defense.  Duke seemed a little quicker on his feet to spin around and get a couple takedowns for the win.  I hope both do well at SS.

182 Hunter Page looked GOOD.  I didn't want to see Currie on that side of the bracket, but he came back to 3rd.  Very surprised Friedt didn't do more but he looked like a small 182 for how physically fit he is.  

220 I think Martin at this point is sick of wrestling Heyerly.  Martin will be a tough out at SS and his next 2 years.  He wrestles like a 160 pounder.  Heyerly on his way to placing again, probably a bit higher this year.

HWT Cruz got pinned fast by Orr but I'm very impress by the Sophmore.  He'll be tough too the next couple of years.

Jay County Regional All Star Matchup:

Who wins the Champ v Champ showdown?

106 v 113 - Johns v Rowles

120 v 126 - Ruble v Wood

132 v 138 - Bertsch v Litchfield

145 v 152 - Abbott v Currie

160 v 170 - Myers v Johnson

182 v 195 - Page v Ingenito

220 v 285 - Heyerly v Orr

I think in this 7 match duel the "lighter weights" have a good shot to win the majority of the matches.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, purdue02 said:

Jay County Regional All Star Matchup:

Who wins the Champ v Champ showdown?

106 v 113 - Johns v Rowles

120 v 126 - Ruble v Wood

132 v 138 - Bertsch v Litchfield

145 v 152 - Abbott v Currie

160 v 170 - Myers v Johnson

182 v 195 - Page v Ingenito

220 v 285 - Heyerly v Orr

I think in this 7 match duel the "lighter weights" have a good shot to win the majority of the matches.  Thoughts?

Rowles with size and experience.  10-6

Ruble with length and experience.  14-6

Litchfield.  Speed/power/quickness 9-8

Currie all day.  Speed/power/technique 12-6

Myers in a tough one.  Both have to be about the same age.  Duke is a more complete and cerebral wrestler.  5-4

I want to say Page, as he impressed me.  Igenito did as well.  Another great match I'd pay for.  Ingenito because of size 7-4

Heyerly all day.  If not by pin by Major at least.  He's on another level.

Great hypothetical post.  Love thinking about those matchups.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.